Windows 10: Duplicate Start Menu Entries

Discus and support Duplicate Start Menu Entries in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After performing a "reset PC" last night and installing (some) of my programs, I noticed the start menu has duplicate entries for some of them.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lightwriter, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Duplicate Start Menu Entries

After performing a "reset PC" last night and installing (some) of my programs, I noticed the start menu has duplicate entries for some of them.

Duplicate Start Menu Entries [​IMG]

In addition to Evernote, the other programs with double entries are Malwarebytes and ShareX. Both entries (for each program), point to the same .exe file. What is very curious is that neither entry launches the program. They are just useless entries in the start menu.

Any idea how to fix this?

:)

lightwriter, Mar 29, 2017

2. Duplicate Games in Games folder - Windows 10

It's not related to games or upgrade. If you have a program installed, and you install it again (newer version or whatever) you may find (not always) duplicate entries in the Start Menu. You may also find entries missing (in my case, Thunderbird had no start
    menu entry). So it would seem there's a bug that causes Win10 to have duplicate Start Menu entries for the same shortcut, or to 'forget' entries.

hotprofissue, Mar 29, 2017
  3. Duplicate ‘my office’ entries in start menu

As per direction of the office support twitter team i am posting about an issue with the ‘my office’ app. Many months ago the app transitioned from being ‘get office’ to ‘my office’ via store app updates. Many users were left with both a get office and a
    my office start menu entry as a result. I reckon around november time another app update came through and this left many users with duplicate ‘my office’ entries in the start menu. One working whilst the other was dead. The duplicate cannot be removed and
    looks awful. On all our machines at home we have this issue and i have seen it reported many times. It seems to affect machines worst that have multiple user accounts on the same pc. For example on one of our machines my own user accounf only has one entry
    but the other user accounts have duplication. It wouldnt be so bad if the extra entry can easily be removed from the start menu but this is a modern app and it’s start menu entry cannot be deleted like traditional program entries. I am dissapointed microsoft
    has allowed this to linger for months and am looking for something to be done

thanks, Wayne

Scottyboy99, Mar 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Duplicate Start Menu Entries

The locations of start menu shortcuts is similar to what it always has been.

Folder paths are given here:
    All apps in Start menu - Add or Remove Items in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    If you explore the relevant folders, you may be able to resolve this as you can delete (or add) shortcuts in the relevant folder.

Another approach might be to use install and use the Classic Shell start menu, and manipulate shortcuts using that in a familiar (to Win 7 users) drag 'n drop manner and right click /delete, open file location....

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  5. Thank you, but those programs do not appear in the start menu folder, so there are no duplicates for me to remove from there. (C:\Users\<__ME__>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs)

Duplicate Start Menu Entries [​IMG]

6. dalchina New Member
    Have you checked here?
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

(Option 3 in the tutorial)

And what happens if you rt click a shortcut, click More, click Open File Location?

dalchina, Mar 29, 2017
  7. I did not. I was late for work and only had time for the first option.

I did notice that when I right click a shortcut, I get nothing.

8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Duplicate Start Menu Entries - Similar Threads - Duplicate Start Menu

2. Duplication start menu!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplication start menu!: Good morning, I have noticed that nearly everything in my start menu left of Live Tile screen Windows 10 is duplicated! Irrespective of which one I click on they open the App so they are all live! I have read various posts but I just wanted to know the best and easiest way to...
  3. Duplication start menu!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplication start menu!: Good morning, I have noticed that nearly everything in my start menu left of Live Tile screen Windows 10 is duplicated! Irrespective of which one I click on they open the App so they are all live! I have read various posts but I just wanted to know the best and easiest way to...
  4. Duplication start menu!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Broken Start Menu entries?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken Start Menu entries?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/zt79tg13vcv51.png?width=789&format=png&auto=webp&s=ebefe42b3912058296b64c96a73e6822f049e84b My start menu shows these after the update to Windows 10 2004. I did sfc /scannow and it did not find anything wrong. I checked the store and...
  6. Duplication of entries

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplication of entries: Last week, I was told my One Drive was almost full. I found that most of the entries had duplicated themselves. It took hours to go through and eliminate all of the duplicates. Whenever I add a photo to an album, if it begins a sync cycle, the photo duplicates itself, but...
  7. Holographic entry in Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Holographic entry in Start menu: After updating to W10 1903, I noticed I have an entry for something called Holographic (below Xbox in picture). If I click the entry, nothing opens and a DistributedCom Error 10001 is logged in Events log. Searches for Holographic tell me this thing is related to Mixed...
  8. Duplicate ‘my office’ entries in start menu

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Duplicate ‘my office’ entries in start menu: Loads of ms apps updated today, one of them ‘get office’. Now have two entries of ‘my office’ in start menu. How can I get rid of / hide one. One does nothing, the other launches it as normal. I tried right click uninstall on the one that does nothing but it doesn’t do...
  9. Duplicated icons in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicated icons in Start Menu: I have a little application that scans for hijacks, malware, etc, is a verified .exe file. I want to pin it to start, it does, but with duplicates. I try removing one, but it remove the other also. 84935
  10. Double entries in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Double entries in start menu: Hi, I have the same problem in two different pc My start menu has some double entries (see picture) [img] and more I checked the start menu folders: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start...