Windows 10: DVD/CD-ROM not in Device Manager

Discus and support DVD/CD-ROM not in Device Manager in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I have googled this all over the place and there are all sorts of issues with DVD / CD-ROM players no longer being recognized but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Appocalipse, Sep 29, 2015.

1. DVD/CD-ROM not in Device Manager

Hello everyone! I have googled this all over the place and there are all sorts of issues with DVD / CD-ROM players no longer being recognized but I haven't come across the same problem I'm having.

I upgraded to Windows 10 64bit from Windows 7 64bit. One day while I was transferring data from my SSD boot drive to my HDD storage drive everything locked up, I got an error message (that I didn't save) and all of a sudden my HDD was no longer visible in My Computer. I ran into all sorts of issues following this and believed that something had corrupted during the data transfer so I opted to disconnect my HDD and do a fresh install of windows with a format on my SSD.

Everything was working well until one day the same thing happened with my DVD/CR-ROM drive, it just disappeared from My Computer. I went to install / check for updated drivers in Device Manager and I believe I clicked uninstall by mistake.

Now when I look at Device Manager there is not even a DVD/CD-ROM option (menu spot for it).

I have included screenshots to show the problem:

DVD/CD-ROM not in Device Manager [​IMG]

Above: So here you can see My Computer, there is my SSD Boot drive but the DVD / CD-ROM is not there

Above: The DVD / CD-ROM drive does not show up in Disk Management, I've tried rescanning drives, refresh, nothing. (As an aside, what are those unnamed disks???)

Above: Device Manger, there is not even an option to view DVD / CD-ROM drives.

Above: Device Manager - Show Hidden Devices - still no luck.

Above: Regedit - A fix I saw was to check this registry for UpperFilters and LowerFilters both of which were not there so I didn't touch anything here.

So far I have done the following troubleshooting:

Turned off the PC and unplugged the CD/DVD drive from the Sata Port. Restarted the PC and loaded windows. Shut off the PC again and re-connected the CD/DVD drive.

When I started the PC back up I entered BIOS and the drive shows up under Sata Port 2 like it should:
    ASUS DVD RAM GH75N

There is power to the drive, it opens and closes and if I put a disk in it spins up.

So this leads me to believe the drive is ok and the cable / port are good as it's being recognized.

I think my biggest concern is not being able to see a menu in Device Manager for DVD/CD-ROM drives. I'm not sure how it got removed or how to get it back.

I'm going to try and contact ASUS to see if they have specific drivers for this drive meant for Windows 10.

If anyone has some tips on what I can do that would be great! Thanks for reading this far *Smile

:)

Appocalipse, Sep 29, 2015
  2. auggy Win User

Running a drive for CDs and photos

Also, is the CD drive showing up at all in the Device Manager?:

Right-click the Start Button > Device Manager

Is there a category "DVD/CD-ROM drives"

If so if you expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives" is the CD-ROM showing up without error?

auggy, Sep 29, 2015
  3. auggy Win User
    Windows DVD Player updated in Windows 10 but won't play dvd's on Toshiba L305D-S5974

Right-click the Start button > Device Manager

In the Device Manager is there a category DVD/CD-ROM drives?

If so expand DVD/CD-ROM drives

Is the DVD drive listed without error?

auggy, Sep 29, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

DVD/CD-ROM not in Device Manager

Can you check, if the drive is still present in the BIOS? I assume it is.

If my assumption is true, then here are a number of possible solutions - of wich you have already tried some:
    [FIX] Optical Drives (CD/DVD) Icon Not Showing in My Computer Window - AskVG

Note that some of these tips include changing the Windows Registry. Wrong changes in the registry can basically screw up your PC. Make sure that you have a system restore point before you start changing things and make a backup of any value, which you change.

Joergi, Sep 29, 2015
  5. Hello Appocalipse Welcome to the Ten Forums!

The tip anyone can give you that will actually work out the best is to plan on replacing the upgrade install with a fresh clean install of 10! If you don't immediately see something messed up with an upgrade you will sometime later which is what you are running into at this time. 10 Upgrades seem to have a delayed reaction at times!

As Joergi was pointing out any number of things especially any goof ups in the system registry can actually trash any Windows installation while half the time the problems being seen are with this constant first need to see upgrade installs which can easily come out "buggy as all H..."!

You could try using the System File Checker option typing "sfc /scannow" in at a command prompt or schedule the run of the Disk Check tool by right clicking on the C drive, opening the Tools tab, and then click on the Error checking button. If the upgrade came out flaky you may be seeing disk errors or missing a few files if they are not simply corrupted causing these problems.

Night Hawk, Sep 29, 2015
  6. Dch48 Win User
    A fix that has worked for many people is to go in Device Manager and under "IDE ATA/Atapi controllers", delete both the channel 0 and channel 1 entries by uninstalling them. Then reboot the computer. The 2 things will be reinstalled and then your drive may show up.

Dch48, Sep 29, 2015
  7. HOLY CRAP YOU ARE MY FAVORITE PERSON RIGHT NOW THIS WORKED!!!

Deleted the entries as you said, rebooted and drive was present in My Computer, Device Manager and Disk Management.

Now I will try installing my HDD again! Once I have it all up and going I think I'm going to re-format everything and put a fresh install of windows 10 in to try and stop any further problems.

Thank you to everyone who responded to help and a great big thank you to Dch48 for solving it!

Appocalipse, Sep 30, 2015
  8. Dch48 Win User

You're welcome. I'm glad it worked for you.

Dch48, Sep 30, 2015
  9. You can see that done with other hardwares as well like network adapters when you can't connect for some reason. Upon the system restart the device sees a fresh detection by Windows which then gets a fresh driver set installed making them active again. When you want something gone however like being annoyed by a floppy drive icon? Simply go into the Floppy controllers and disable anything you find there!

Night Hawk, Oct 1, 2015
  10. Zeeshan Win User
    Hello Dch48, I hope you are fine!
    Well I am facing the same issue with my dell 5558, some time the dvd is visible or some time not, further i am searching for the channel 0 and channel 1 under IDE ATA/Atapi as per your adivse but didn't find, what only I found under is "Intel(R) 9 series Chipset family SATA AHCI Controller".

Can you please figure out what's the problem is ?

Zeeshan, Jan 10, 2016
  11. He won't be able to answer your reply.

The optical drive in your Dell model there is mostly like a sata not ide drive to begin with and could easily have dust and dirt built up or simply a loose cable if the drive itself is not seeing a problem. Often with optical drives they suddenly are either not seen or won't be readable as far as not being able to open any disk put in. The drive is on the way out!

On the main build here I actually had the first dvd drive being an LG sata drive fail shortly after putting that in new! I had actually installed an identical pair of those and then simply replaced those with a pair of MSI IDE dvd drives that eventually wore and started having a few problems and went with a pair of MSI sata drives presently in use. When assuming one of those was showing signs of wear I grabbed one quick off of Amazon one day and by the time it arrived I had found the first drive was working like new! I had gone in and simply unplugged and replugged the drive to be sure the plug was secure.

What that indicates is not the need to know which channel a drive is on but whether or not the drive, cable, or even port is where the problem is. A bad port can come up from wear if not from build up of dust and dirt over time causing incontinuity or the lack of electrical contact between the cable and port! The build up forces a wedge of debris in there where it may not be the positive and ground pins but the data pins not making full contact.

Night Hawk, Jan 10, 2016
  12. PIKBOY Win User
    This fixed for me:

If the above mentioned method doesn't work for you, you can directly add the DWORD in Registry by executing following command in Command Prompt:
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001Make sure you open Command Prompt as Administrator

PIKBOY, Apr 24, 2016
  13. Lambert58 Win User

???? DWORD
    You lost me there.
    Connected my brand new LG BE14NU40, and ran the pseudo install disk, basically cyberlink suite TEN? I already had 16, anyway.
    When I went to update the firmware from LG dated 7/12/16, , that's when things went south.
    Found this on another thread here:
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    Rand as admin, then it disappeared all together, gone in device manager and file explorer, and wont even read the install disc or retail dvd.
    BUMMED!

Lambert58, Jul 23, 2016
  14. Lambert58 Win User
    Well, after struggling with this for the past few days and way too many real hours without success, I finally did it.
    And, you wont believe what did it, I surely didn't.
    YUP, the old unplug the USB, waited for a minute, plugged back in and restarted, BANG! There she was, and is.
    Genius, I know.
    OMG!

Lambert58, Jul 24, 2016
  15. Thank you this has also solved the problem for me. Drive hadn't been detected since upgrading to Windows 10, but didn't have a need to fix until recently.

BlueIsComing, Jan 27, 2017
Thema:

1. DVD/CD-ROM not in Device Manager - Similar Threads - DVD ROM Device

2. CD/DVD Rom

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Rom: On My Windows 10 Dell Computer My CD/DVD Don't Work No CD's Or DVD's Will Play Is There A Driver Missing What Can Be The Problem ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-rom/6e54509b-68b3-4134-aa08-365459368b93
  3. CD/DVD Rom

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD/DVD Rom: On My Windows 10 Dell Computer My CD/DVD Don't Work No CD's Or DVD's Will Play Is There A Driver Missing What Can Be The Problem ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-rom/6e54509b-68b3-4134-aa08-365459368b93
  4. CD/DVD Rom

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. dvd/cd-rom

dvd/cd-rom: Ever since 2/4/21 I have not been able to use my disc drive. Says operating normal but it wont open and I can hear it spinning. Have got a lot of error codes,,,, 2, 7023, 642, 257, 7030,215, 318,10010, 1534, 10002,...
  6. DVD/CD-ROM

DVD/CD-ROM: windows 10 does not find my DVD/CD-ROM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-rom/2ea72ae2-a716-44c5-86f7-a654e1dd0074
  7. dvd cd rom

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dvd cd rom: I had to get an external cd rom my laptop does not have on built in. I need help connecting it with my laptop. I know there is something I have to download in order for it to work but I don't know what that is. a vlm or vlc or something. can anyone help me please...
  8. DVD CD/rom

DVD CD/rom: DVD player not downloading program. Info says its working properly but it aint. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-cdrom/e62e51e6-54ed-4c70-b2b2-be00e465b118
  9. DVD/CD ROM

DVD/CD ROM: my DVD/CD ROM missing some drives doesn't read blank discs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-rom/cf6ec6ea-3c4d-4f3f-889c-c1abe759469a
  10. DVD/CD rom

DVD/CD rom: My DVD/CD player is constantly running. I have hundreds of irreplaceable pictures on it and I'm afraid to eject the DVD for fear of losing all these pictures. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvdcd-rom/dc8fdc32-ac8b-4d00-8a14-953fe64eb3f6

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot