Windows 10: DVD Disc player not reading discs after installing Windows 10

Discus and support DVD Disc player not reading discs after installing Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; 2 days ago I had to replace a hard drive and reinstall Windows 10. Unfortunately, my DVD drive is not reading the discs I've tried (that it read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KatAnubis, Jul 11, 2017.

1. KatAnubis Win User

DVD Disc player not reading discs after installing Windows 10

2 days ago I had to replace a hard drive and reinstall Windows 10. Unfortunately, my DVD drive is not reading the discs I've tried (that it read normally last week, when I also had Windows 10 and everything but the hard drive was the same). When I go into Device Manager, where the DVD drive should be showing up, there is no drop down. I asked it to check for new hardware, but nothing comes up.

When I put in a disc, the green light comes on, I can hear the disc spin and a window pops up on the monitor, but it says the disc is empty.

I searched or someone else who may have had a similar problem, but they were all different from mine.

:)

KatAnubis, Jul 11, 2017
  2. neilpzz Win User

disk won't read on Windows 10 but runs fine on Windows XP

When you created the disc in Windows XP did you finalise it to make it compatible with any other OS. Some times a disc has to be finalised after files are written to it to ensure it is fully compatible.

[edit] As a test for the disc you have written. If you have a DVD/Blu-ray player connected to your TV try the disc in that. Most players will read pictures on a CD or DVD or at least see the files on the disc.

neilpzz, Jul 11, 2017
  3. general09 Win User
    DVD Player doesn't work under Windows 10

Just discovered a problem and don’t know if it is related to Windows 10. I have a Plextor BD-R PX-LB950SA BDR/DVD player installed. Windows 10 recognizes that such a drive is installed. Device Manager says the driver
    is up to date and the device is operating properly. However, Windows does not recognize content of any DVD inserted, in fact, it does not even recognize there is a disc in the player. I have tried a couple of different software players with the same result.
    Any ideas?

Additional information: Windows 10 recognized a blank DVD and burned several files to the disc.
    I know the files were burned because when you click on Properties for the disc, the space used equals the size of the files.
    However, it can’t read the files it supposedly burned to the disc.

general09, Jul 11, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

If you haven't already ....
    1. Try installing the drivers for your DVD drive from the manufactures site.
    2. Try installing the chipset drivers for your motherboard from the manufactures site.

Eagle51, Jul 11, 2017
  5. KatAnubis Win User
    Last night there was an update for Windows 10 and this morning the DVD drive showed up in the Device Manager. It still would not run the discs in the drive. But since it was "seen" by the device manager I did what I'd seen in another message: I told device manager to "uninstall" it. Then I had the system "scan for hardware changes." Now it is working again!

I had already checked the drivers for my mobo (which were up to date). And the DVD drive doesn't have any drivers of it's own as it uses the Windows drivers. But fortunately, I was able to get it to work properly, finally!

KatAnubis, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DVD Disc player not reading discs after installing Windows 10 - Similar Threads - DVD Disc player

2. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  3. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  4. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DVD Drive Unable to Read Discs

DVD Drive Unable to Read Discs: My DVD drive can't read any discs at all. Whenever I try to open the disc, it returns this error: [ATTACH] I've tried Methods 3 and 6 listed here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs, but it...
  6. DVD Drive Won't Read Discs

DVD Drive Won't Read Discs: Hello! I have a Dell Latitude e6440. The DVD drive just randomly stopped reading disc's a week and a half ago in the middle of playing a DVD. Any ideas of things I could try to fix it?...
  7. DVD drive suddenly not reading discs....in windows 10

DVD drive suddenly not reading discs....in windows 10: Recently I am unable to play cd's or Dvd's on my lap top. when I open the file folder, The DVD drive does appear there. when I put a disc in, IT is not recognized, and I am asked to insert a blank disc. Can you help me?...
  8. My DVD Drive won't read DVD discs, but will read game discs, and CD's that contains files.

My DVD Drive won't read DVD discs, but will read game discs, and CD's that contains files.: I have been searching for the past couple of months now. Never had issues before and ever since the major 1803 windows 10 update, my driver is still not working properly. This is ridiculous. My driver will read certain cd's containing files. Game cd's work fine. Does not...
  9. CD/DVD Drive not reading discs

CD/DVD Drive not reading discs: Hello! Since upgrading to Windows 10 my PC has been unable to read any CD/DVD disc I put in. I hear it spinning so I doubt there's any problem with the CD/DVD Drive itself. [img] I was thinking it could be a driver issue, but there doesn't seem like there's any...
  10. Disc driver not reading discs

Disc driver not reading discs: I'm not sure if it's called a disc driver, the thing where you put discs in on the pc, but no discs are working when i put them there, usually when putting a disc in there afew seconds you see a little disc icon near the cursor, but when i put ANY disc no matter what it is,...