Windows 10: DVD disks not recognized but CDs are

Discus and support DVD disks not recognized but CDs are in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My CD/DVD drive L is recognized by the computer under Windows 10 (upgraded). It will read/write CDs but not DVDs. Device Manager shows no problems and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rickchristine, Apr 5, 2018.

1. DVD disks not recognized but CDs are

Maybe there are something wrong with the DVD reader on your PC, plugging it into another PC to see if can be detected.
    If not, the problem can be deduced to your DVD rather than the reader, in this case, you would better update drivers for your device again.

rickchristine, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Nuccii Win User

My CD/DVD drive L is recognized by the computer under Windows 10 (upgraded). It will read/write CDs but not DVDs. Device Manager shows no problems and I have uninstalled the device then scanned for hardware changes, region/country is set to 1. Troubleshooters show no problems. Rarely used the device so I don't know when the problem started. I have always used DVD+RW in the past with no problems.

:)

Nuccii, Apr 21, 2018
  3. DVD not recognized in Windows 10

It recognizes the cd-dvd drive now as soon as I put a disk in. Thanks again!

GarySchimelfenig, Apr 21, 2018
  4. DVD disks not recognized but CDs are

DVD Drive

My CD/DVD Drive fails to recognize a DVD-RW or DL disk. There is no problem with a regular disk. I switched to Verbatim disks but it didn't make any difference. Is there some Windows setting that enables the drive to recognize these disks. I've tried
    all suggestions, including deleting the driver and re-installing it. Any suggestions? Thanks

DavidZannino, Apr 21, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    There are two lasers in the head, Red for CD and Blue for DVD, one may be gone bad.

CountMike, Apr 21, 2018
  6. Try3 Win User
    I once had the same symptoms, " It will read/write CDs but not DVDs", when the drive's lens became dirty. I managed to clean it using some DVD lens cleaner fluid [it was some sort of alcohol, possibly isopropanol, and was the same as that I had had for ages as magnetic tape head cleaning fluid].

I managed to clean the lens half a dozen times over the course of a couple of years but it eventually failed completely after, I think, I had got a bit heavy handed and allowed some of the fluid to get into the electronics rather than just the lens itself.

Denis

7. Helmut Win User
    I assume this is a standard Desktop Optical drive. There is too much disassembly to bother with cleaning the lens, personally I won't use cleaning discs. Just buy a new one £12(10 USD) from my UK supplier.

If it's a slimline laptop type drive where the lens/optics comes out on the disc tray those are easy to clean if you are very careful. They cost a bit more to replace but are still cheap.

Helmut, Apr 21, 2018
  8. Nuccii Win User

DVD disks not recognized but CDs are

Problem solved, went out and bought another drive, cheaper than wasting time trying to fix. I saw a number of reports of people having problems with their DVD drives after upgrading to Windows 10.

Nuccii, Apr 22, 2018
Thema:

DVD disks not recognized but CDs are

1. DVD disks not recognized but CDs are - Similar Threads - DVD disks recognized

2. DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.: My new machine running Windows 10 won't read/write blank DVDs or CDs. I've tried several removable burners and they all produce the same error which states "Windows can't read the disc in drive F:\. Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes. If the disc is...
  3. DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.: My new machine running Windows 10 won't read/write blank DVDs or CDs. I've tried several removable burners and they all produce the same error which states "Windows can't read the disc in drive F:\. Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes. If the disc is...
  4. DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DVD -RW recognizes CDs but thinks there's no disc when DVD in inserted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DVD -RW recognizes CDs but thinks there's no disc when DVD in inserted: I have been facing this problem after updating to Windows version 1903. It continues now after upgrading to version 2004 of May 2020. I have a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653H optical drive on my DELL Vostro 460 desktop. The drive recognizes all CDs that I had written / rewritten...
  6. DVD not recognized.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DVD not recognized.: DVD not recognized. Trying to install new software and am unable to reach the disc menu. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-not-recognized/7cdba7d6-91dd-47cc-a9c8-1d4873150559
  7. DVD Drive is not Playing video CDs

DVD Drive is not Playing video CDs: In my DVD Drive any of my Video CDs are not playing. Audio CDs are well supported and playing well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvd-drive-is-not-playing-video-cds/f73f1712-0de8-430d-96a5-5c72206c6f4e
  8. DVD not recognized

DVD not recognized: There is no IDE/ATAPI entry in device manager https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvd-not-recognized/6e816ced-304f-4cd1-b4d0-f98c0ced8436
  9. DVD not recognized with blank disk and no burn available

DVD not recognized with blank disk and no burn available: Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 150615.332)HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX [img] I wanted to burn an ISO to dvd and clicked Burn on the context menu. The above message came up. Checked Device Manager and there was no indication of the dvd. On a chance I...
  10. CD/DVD wont recognize disks.

CD/DVD wont recognize disks.: New win 10 and new dirve .drive shows in 'this computer'. Cant recognize any disks. here is the event log: [img] 32244