Windows 10: DVD drive behaving oddly

Discus and support DVD drive behaving oddly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Well, my DVD drive has been behaving oddly of late. I use it mostly for audio playback with my aging but still great CDs and occasionally for trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tcebob, Sep 20, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

DVD drive behaving oddly

Well, my DVD drive has been behaving oddly of late. I use it mostly for audio playback with my aging but still great CDs and occasionally for trying to make a bootable DVD ISO. (So far, no luck.) But after the system goes to sleep and reawakens the drive is invisible and cannot be used without rebooting. After reboot it takes about a minute (with a disk loaded) to be recognized, after which Winamp takes over and the music plays. The system apparently does not recognize blank DVDs, which makes using them awkward.

That's part of the problem. The other part is that, somehow, I have acquired a drive (EDVD drive behaving oddly :) CD Drive. This is not listed in diskmgmt.msc but appears in File Explorer and Total Commander. Clicking on it produces a "drive not found" message. The normal (JDVD drive behaving oddly :) DVD RW DRIVE - Audio CD Is present.

So 1. How can I tame the DVD drive to respond to a disk after sleep?
    and 2. How can I get rid of (EDVD drive behaving oddly :) CD Drive?

I ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:G:\Sources\Install.esd:1 and SFC /scannow successfully.

:)

tcebob, Sep 20, 2017

2. Explorer Behaving oddly

The issue doesn't present itself on the new account. though then again that account has an almost empty onedrive folder whereas my main has 350GB

alexanderkibbe, Sep 20, 2017
  3. Explorer Behaving oddly

My windows explorer has been having some odd behavior that just started recently. Specifically it just doesn't load the files its seeing properly. The files still exist and other programs have no problem finding them.

Best case (opens but doesn't load icons and can't reorder files ie, by name/date)

DVD drive behaving oddly [​IMG]

Worst case (doesn't even load any files.)

Any other program still seems to be able to access the files just fine, IE from a recent file list, so the files are still there and can be read just fine.

Restarting the explorer process can somtimes restore some functionality and SOME of the icons load, like so

I dont know if its related but the ability to take screenshots is also no longer functional. I optained the above using the 'snipping' tool as the printscreen button doesn't do anything.

restarting the computer breifly restores full functionality but eventually it reverts to the above behavior.

alexanderkibbe, Sep 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

DVD drive behaving oddly

Check your Autoplay settings? What behaviour are you expecting if you insert a blank disk? Do you mean you can't write one?

That sounds like a virtual drive. Do you have any programs that you've used to set one up?
    PowerISO or similar? If you can identify the program used to create it, that should give an easy way to do so.

Perhaps see
    How to delete Virtual CD/DVD ROM Drive from My Computer - UnlockForUs
    Deleting Virtual Drive made with MagicISO | PCMech Community Forum

dalchina, Sep 20, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    Yes, I am trying PowerISO. Good call.

I expected to see the drive containing the blank disk. If the system can't see the drive it won't write to it. Will it? I have tried to burn to a blank disk only to get a "no drive found" error comment. However, if there is already an audio cd mounted and I substitute the blank disk the system will see it.

tcebob, Sep 20, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    What is your Windows build?
    (Windows key + R, winver)

Quite a long time back there was a problem with the handling of DVD drives. I found I had to write a small script to poll the drive so inserting a disk was recognised and autoplay was triggered. However, you are finding Autoplay does work. I'm wondering if you are seeing something similar.

You should see the DVD drive in the navigation pane of file explorer if there is a disk in it, otherwise not.

dalchina, Sep 20, 2017
  7. tcebob Win User
    1703 / 15063.608

Autoplay works after a reboot. Right now there is an audio cd in the drive and the drive is invisible to File Explorer. I will now reboot with the cd in the drive . . .

. . . The drive was visible after reboot. It didn't autoplay but so what. Context menu offered "Autoplay" and "Play." Hit autoplay and Winamp; Winamp started up but failed and had to restart it. Now playing Harpsichord Music of 18th Century France. Fantastic. Will now eject and enter another CD . . .Dvorak, Slavonic Dances. Autoplayed ok. Now will put PC to sleep . . . Woke up and started playing again. Removed CD. Drive fell off of File Explorer but remained visible in Total Commander. Reinstalled Cd and it autoplayed.

I can't make it fail -- but I'm confident that it will. I'll try to note when and why.

tcebob, Sep 20, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

DVD drive behaving oddly

spunk, Sep 20, 2017
  9. tcebob Win User
    It happened again. This time I was away from the computer for a couple of hours. I put it to sleep when I left and when I returned the DVD was missing even though there was a CD mounted. I wonder whether a longer time of sleep produces some deeper kind of sleep.

Spunk, thanks for the lead. I'll follow it after dinner.

tcebob, Sep 21, 2017
  10. tcebob Win User
    spunk, I looked at your reference and noted at the bottom "This method should be used on Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, or Windows 10 version 1507. The issues fixed by this method shouldn't occur in Windows 10 1511 or later." I'm using 1703. I think i'm getting into deep water here. some really strange things are happening:

Suddenly, I cannot bring up the Recycle Bin. Clicking on the desktop icon does nothing, though right click brings up the context menu. I was able to set it up in File Explorer, with the help of an add-on favorite files utility (Actual Windows Manager). I am going to try removing some of the more recent programs, such as PowerISO and see what happens. Failing that I'll try a previous restore point.

tcebob, Sep 21, 2017
  11. tcebob Win User
    I'm reposting to this thread rather than opening a new one. Here's what's up: I did a system restore to earlier this month and the results were good. A lot of crazy things were corrected. Even the DVD played without complaint -- for a while. Now it will only work after a reboot or a long sleep period. And then only for about 3 minutes. It just disappears. I suppose I could get a usb DVD drive but what happened to this 2-month old computer?

tcebob, Sep 25, 2017
  12. spunk Win User
    Press the Win key+X choose Command Prompt (Admin) In the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow, this will replace any missing or corrupted system files.
    Also try running a Clean Boot and see how that goes.

spunk, Sep 27, 2017
  13. tcebob Win User

DVD drive behaving oddly

Greetings, all. I reinstalled Windows and am going through the process of installing programs. Happy to say the dvd player is behaving as it should. Marking this as Solved.

tcebob, Sep 27, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Glad you found a way forward.

Two ways to often avoid doing that:
    1. an in-place repair install -which keeps all programs and data and most settings
    2. Using disk imaging routinely to create compressed copies of Windows, disks and partitions- something all regular contributors do and recommend.

Once you have your new gleaming installation up and running with drivers ok and before making any other changes, create your first disk image.

Here's my write-up on the value of disk imaging.

Everyone who contributes regularly here uses and recommends disk imaging.

If you use it, you can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your imaged disks and partitions to a previous working state from compressed copies you have created and kept updated on external storage media, quickly and probably without technical help.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

(There's a tutorial on Macrium in the Tutorials section, and a couple of videos in the user videos section on this forum)
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

dalchina, Oct 1, 2017
  15. tcebob Win User
    Thanks, Dalchina. I normally would have made a restore disk -- in fact, I did, but for the old computer. I wanted a clean install from an MS ISO in order to shake off as much of the HP pollution that I could. Now that the system is running fairly smoothly I will take your advice. I have a copy of Macrium at hand and will set it up for backups and restore today.

tcebob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

DVD drive behaving oddly

1. DVD drive behaving oddly - Similar Threads - DVD drive behaving

2. MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 BEHAVING ODD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 BEHAVING ODD.: MY MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 IS BEHAVING ODD. WHEN I GO INTO AN AIRCAFT COCKPIT, THE ENTIRE VIEW IS SPINNING ANTI CLOCK WISE AND CAN'T SEEM TO STOP IT. ANY IDEAS PLEASE?...
  3. MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 BEHAVING ODD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 BEHAVING ODD.: MY MSFS 2020/WINDOOWS 10 IS BEHAVING ODD. WHEN I GO INTO AN AIRCAFT COCKPIT, THE ENTIRE VIEW IS SPINNING ANTI CLOCK WISE AND CAN'T SEEM TO STOP IT. ANY IDEAS PLEASE?...
  4. HP Laptop, Win10, keyboard behaving very oddly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Laptop, Win10, keyboard behaving very oddly: Hi, A while ago my friend spilt some wine on his laptop keyboard. Bang & Olufsen Envy, with Windows 10. Since then he's had a very odd problem with it: In most cases it will ONLY type vowels and these vowels are all accented. If he opens an internet browser types...
  5. Windows behaving oddly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows behaving oddly: Hi My PC froze while playing a game and after restart the windows 10 has been acting weird. First it takes long to login and the screen goes from black to back and windows keeps reopening file manager. And now when that is over when I click the startup button or the search...
  6. Windows 10 behaves oddly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 behaves oddly: I am on the latest build. And suddenly its started behaving strangely. Keyboard doesn't works properly, tried changing keyboard and tried on screen keyboard but not working. It thought it could be a malware found some suspicious apps deleted them but still probelm not solved....
  7. Windows Defender behaving oddly...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender behaving oddly...: Hi. Several manual attempts to run Defender in Windows 10 Pro on a Dell 7280 (RAM 16g and SSD at 65% capacity) resulted in only 15 files being scanned using both Quick and Full scan modes. Windows, Defender and all updates appear to be current. Defender was set for...
  8. Windows Explorer behaves oddly

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer behaves oddly: When I double click on a drive or directory, normally Explorer shows the contents. Now it displays a message this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if one is already installed, create an association in the...
  9. Why is my Windows 10 system behaving oddly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is my Windows 10 system behaving oddly?: My Windows 10 machine is playing up and do really weird things: * Start menu intermittently pops up * Application enters and exits full screen * Mouse cursor intermittently shows up in full screen mode Thank you in advance. 56315
  10. Fast Start and shutdown behaving a little oddly.

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Start and shutdown behaving a little oddly.: I have 'Fast Start' enabled in power options. It is ticked as being on. That said it is only fair to say that I deliberately did have it turned off while initially clean installing and setting up FCU a couple of weeks ago. So... a few days ago I turned it back on and...