Windows 10: DVD drive doesn't open, or even recognize, program discs with Win 10

Discus and support DVD drive doesn't open, or even recognize, program discs with Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Since loading Win 10 I've been unable to insert a program loading disc and get the disc to work. The DVD drive will load music, but not programs.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by b4ab, Mar 16, 2016.

1. b4ab Win User

DVD drive doesn't open, or even recognize, program discs with Win 10

Hi,
    Since loading Win 10 I've been unable to insert a program loading disc and get the disc to work. The DVD drive will load music, but not programs. When I go to Win 10 file explorer, the DVD drive doesn't even "see" the program disc. Hopefully there's something simple I'm just missing, but if I need to get into the regedit I can do that, too.

Thanks

:)

2. DVD player won't play dvd's after an update to Windows 10 in October or November.

Having the same problem since this latest OCTOBER update of WINDOWS 10. DVD drive won't play or even recognize a data DVD bit it will recognize an empty disc. Have tried the troubleshooter but it keeps saying that it doesn't find any problems. Have tried
    uninstalling the drive & restarting but this doesn't work either.

IkeThunderton, Mar 16, 2016
  3. JanHoare Win User
    Windows 10 -- DVDs in Windows Media Player

JanHoare, Mar 16, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

Wondering are these program discs on DVD ,what they are and if your having issues with just DVD's. Tried a DVD or just music and these ? Run the Troubleshoot for Hardware and Sound ?

Control panel type in search Troubleshoot, select Troubleshoot then Hardware and Sound

jds63, Mar 16, 2016
  5. jds63 Win User
    Might be what you are talking about with the registry fix, seen it used in the past for similar issues not reading discs.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929461

Similar way to, but also reinstalling the disc drive in device manager to

1) click the start menu
    2) click on "run"
    3) type "regedit" and click ok
    4) go to string key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    5) delete "upper filters" and "lower filters in the right side window.

Go right to Device manager from here to do the rest. Skip 6,7,8 and 9

6) right click my computer in the start menu.
    7) click properties
    8) go to the hardware tab
    9) click device manager
    10) expand the dvd/cdrom drives
    11) right click the dvd rom and click uninstall
    12) restart computer

Other cause can only be DVD drive has a CD laser diode and a DVD laser diode one could be bad. Be if only DVD do not read.

jds63, Mar 16, 2016
  6. b4ab Win User
    The programs are on CDs, not DVDs, and I've already indicated the drive will read music discs. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

7. jds63 Win User
    I do not know which programs and if they are only ones besides Music CD's that this can read only. Device Manager shows it correctly and have you tried the method above in my last post ?

Similar issue worked for this member at the same time you asked.
    DVD Drives Quit

jds63, Mar 16, 2016
  8. b4ab Win User

No "upper filters" or "lower filters" to delete. Is there a setting on the DVD drive tool bar that I'm missing? When I insert the program CD, it doesn't even start the disc spinning. When I go to search in the DVD drive tool bar and select Search and Program, it can't find anything. However, if I use an external DVD drive (I use it to load programs into a netbook) and plug the drive into a USB port on the front of the computer, I can get the program read and installed. With Windows Media open, I can put a music CD into the computer drive and it pops right into Media Player. Very strange.

9. jds63 Win User
    Have you tried DVD's in this problem drive, can they be read or anything else besides ones you have tried ?
    Have you run the troubleshooter as suggested ? Not sure if you delete the drive under DVD/CD ROM Drives in the Device manager and reboot will help, it will reinstall it again though.What does show there in the Device Manager?

jds63, Mar 16, 2016
  10. IMO you got file association issues and if it is an older drive the driver support may be gone forever in win 10. If you have an external drive try that one first just to verify that the issue is present across all dvd reader writers. To further assist you in resolving this problem you may want to review this thread: Default File Type Associations - Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

lopedoggie, Mar 16, 2016
  11. jds63 Win User
    Problem is they have not tested other disc in this troubled optical drive to even determine if only a choice few do not work, besides more detailed info and troubleshooting methods.

jds63, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DVD drive doesn't open, or even recognize, program discs with Win 10 - Similar Threads - DVD drive doesn't

2. Win 10 Home, version 21H2, does not recognize DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 Home, version 21H2, does not recognize DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive: Dan_de_Lion,1. DVD/CD Optical Disc Drive originally came configured with my Toshiba P750 laptop when purchased and always worked until a recent Win 10 Home Update.2. I followed resolution methods 2, 3, 4 & 5 in link Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other...
  3. DVD drive stopped recognizing DVD's in Win 10

DVD drive stopped recognizing DVD's in Win 10: I have been ripping DVD's to the cloud all weekend with no problems using MakeMKV. Then suddenly after about 90 discs my DVD drive stopped recognizing any disc I put in it. I insert a disc, wait a few seconds and click on the DVD drive in Windows Explorer. Then the drawer...
  4. DVD/CD-ROM drive can't recognize disc

DVD/CD-ROM drive can't recognize disc: My optical drive is ATAPI iHAS124 F, and when I put a disc in, the disc doesn't show on File Explorer. When I try to open the disc in VLC Media Player, it doesn't load, and if I select DVD RW Drive (E:) when it has the disc, it would show the hourglass and then not respond....
  5. windows 10 doesn't recognize my cd/dvd drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 doesn't recognize my cd/dvd drive: My windows isn't recognizing my Windows 10. Now according to MS support I'm running windows 10 64? Which I'm sorry not to familiar with that. My issue is my cd/dvd drive isn't recognized by windows. I tried a few solutions that was posted on the Community but to no avail ?...
  6. DVD RW Drive E not recognizing formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc

DVD RW Drive E not recognizing formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc: My DVD RW Drive E does not recognize a formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc that I am trying to burn. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw-drive-e-not-recognizing-formatted-verbatim/64c0442b-a193-4511-9413-3efe8f2858ff
  7. Windows 10 Doesn't recognize my DVD drive

Windows 10 Doesn't recognize my DVD drive: I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Now my computer doesn't recognize my DVD drive. What do I do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-doesnt-recognize-my-dvd-drive/d8dd6b63-9849-4bc9-8a02-818012d86915
  8. DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs: I am running Microsoft 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop that is 2 years old. All software and drivers are current. In the last week I've made about 20 discs with family videos. I ran out of DVDs and bought a spindle of 50 DVDs of the exact same brand/type (SONY DVD-R 120 min/4/7...
  9. DVD-R disc - contents not recognized

DVD-R disc - contents not recognized: I have several DVD discs that were recorded on a standalone DVD recorder and finalized. The content of these discs is non-commercial: home movies transferred from a Mini-DV camcorder. Windows 10 shows the discs as being blank. When viewed in Disc Management, it shows the file...
  10. DVD drives will no longer recognize discs after the latest "update"

DVD drives will no longer recognize discs after the latest "update": I have two DVD-RW/CDR drives that will no longer recognize valid discs since the latest Windows 10 update. I upgraded from Win 7 just over a month ago, and they seemed to work fine. The system information shows that they are good drives, but they consistently eject valid...