Windows 10: DVD drive missing

Discus and support DVD drive missing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I hardly ever use it, so hadn't noticed until today that my DVD drive has disappeared from Device Manager (no DVD-CD ROMs appear there at all) and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by miro8, Oct 9, 2015.

1. miro8 Win User

DVD drive missing

I hardly ever use it, so hadn't noticed until today that my DVD drive has disappeared from Device Manager (no DVD-CD ROMs appear there at all) and I cannot use CDs/DVDs in my PC. I strongly suspect Windows 10 as the culprit. I upgraded from W7 early August. However, I can't seem to find any way to download / install the necessary driver.
    I have a custom built PC. What I'm missing is: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 ATA Device (CD-ROM drive). It appears that this is an LG product. I've checked their website and there only seem to be drivers for (up to) W7 here. If I download the zip file and open it, I get a DriveUpdater dialog box, but it says "can't find target drive" and I cannot therefore update. This link looked promising, but the downloaded DriverToolkitInstaller.exe application triggers my AVG, saying threat detected and removed, and I cannot proceed. I don't fancy disabling AVG and risking it. I've e-mailed LG, but if anyone here has any ideas I'd be most grateful!

:)

miro8, Oct 9, 2015

2. Windows 10 doesn't recognize DVD drive after upgrade to Windows 10

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Fix It for missing CD/DVD drive:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Andre Da Costa, Oct 9, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Oct 9, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

DVD drive missing

dalchina, Oct 9, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    "can't find target drive" has usually meant to me that the drive has a problem, data cable may have come loose, not getting power, etc. I've had success in simply replacing the drive but did have a couple where the data cable was an issue and one where the socket on the mother board was an issue [the IDE Controller] which ended up needing a new motherboard.

Berton, Oct 9, 2015
  6. miro8 Win User
    I did try searching the boards, but didn't find this. Thank you thank you thank you, muchisimas gracias! Problem solved. *Biggrin

miro8, Oct 9, 2015
  7. miro8 Win User
    I received a reply from LG: "...the official software that is compatible with Windows 10 will be released at the end of October through the LG website and also by automated update on your computer for your device to properly function on Windows 10 operating system."
    You'd think they would have had it ready prior to the W10 launch in July really. Never mind!

miro8, Oct 10, 2015
  8. MarySC Win User

DVD drive missing

I did another regedit fix I found online and it worked on my Dell Inspiron laptop but didn't stick... this one worked and I am hopeful it will continue to do the job! Thank you

MarySC, Feb 12, 2016
  9. If the keyboard driver does not show up in device manager click on view -> show hidden. If the keyboard does show up delete it and reboot. The system should rescan the drivers. This worked for my wife"s missing CD/DVD after a couple of autoupdates before 17074.1002. She was on the slow ring. She updated to the latest 17074.1002 OK

martyfelker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

DVD drive missing

1. DVD drive missing - Similar Threads - DVD drive missing

2. DVD/CD drive missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD/CD drive missing: Unable to find all drives except my C: drive. Even went into registry to try and delete upper and lower filters. They dont exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-drive-missing/68b6d901-97d0-430b-81bd-67aebafa94cc
  3. Missing DVD Drive:

Missing DVD Drive:: I recently had my computer upgraded with new hardware, including motherboard, etc. Today I found that my DVD drive is not working. It's been several months since the upgrade so I thought I would try this on my own. I Googled a remedy and in the process, following...
  4. Disabled DVD drive goes MISSING

Disabled DVD drive goes MISSING: Please remember my DVD drive is INTERNAL SATA connected. When I disabled my internal DVD drive and shut off or restart my laptop computer, my DVD drive couldn't get enabled again. While it shows up as a hidden device in the device manager, there's no option to enable it....
  5. DVD drive missing from File Explorer

DVD drive missing from File Explorer: After downloading an App, my D: DVD drive showed the app in the drive when I keyed on it. There was NO media in the drive. I pressed the eject button and the drive D: disappeared from the drive list. Device Manager shows the drive present and operating correctly with no error...
  6. Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing

Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing: When my laptop was purchased it was already Windows 10 and came with a cd/dvd drive. I never had a problem with it until today when I tried to burn a cd. When I put the cd in it just spins and I am unable to locate the drive in windows explorer. Would an update remove any...
  7. Missing DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing DVD: After Window10 update my HP All IN One DVD-ROM drive is missing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-dvd/20e1b580-1d71-4c41-b562-b4272da7c250
  8. DVD drive missing from 'THIS PC'

DVD drive missing from 'THIS PC': I have searched for two days and tried everything that google served up to try to get this drive to show up. I think it dates back to when I did the Windows 10 upgrade but not sure, I hardly ever used the DVD writer, even before that, so this may have been missing since that...
  9. DVD drive missing

DVD drive missing: Had NUMEROUS problems with Windows 10 and ran the reset program to reinstall Windows 10. Now, my DVD drive is shown in device manager but not in file manager so I cannot load all my software from disk. How do I get the DVD drive back so I can reloading TurboTax and other...
  10. DVD Drive all of a sudden missing

DVD Drive all of a sudden missing: So according to my bios the dvd drive is there but as soon as Windows 10 boot its not listen anywhere. Anyone else had this issue? 4692