Windows 10: DVD Drive, not reading any Media

Discus and support DVD Drive, not reading any Media in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This has been going on for a while but neither of my DVD internal drives are reading any DVD or CD There both TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-223L they use to run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Clintlgm, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Clintlgm Win User

DVD Drive, not reading any Media

This has been going on for a while but neither of my DVD internal drives are reading any DVD or CD
    There both TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-223L they use to run everything and burn everything. some how neither will read any disk?
    any ideas
    both are reconsied as DVDRW drives in windows Explorer same thing in disk management

:)

Clintlgm, Oct 31, 2017
  2. Pavel A Win User

DVD DRIVE reads only CDs.

Inability to read DVD media may mean physical damage of the drive. DVD drives have two lasers, one for CD media and other for DVD. So the DVD laser may burn out. Try to replace the drive or borrow a removable USB drive.

-- pa

Pavel A, Oct 31, 2017
  3. windows 10 headaches

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

If your computer has a CD drive then it would not read DVDs. You can use flash drive or any other USB media with the installation media in it to perform the steps.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anusha

Anusha Verma, Oct 31, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

What about in Device Manager, are they with HDDs or under own heading

DVD Drive, not reading any Media [​IMG]

I had that happen and it wouldn't read any disk if it's under Disk drives.

CountMike, Oct 31, 2017
  5. Clintlgm Win User
    Yea that don't seem to be the problem CountMike

I have tried uninstalling them and reboot to reinstall drivers no joy. they seem to have quite working after the CU update, I just having really needed them so am only now ready to spend some time to see if I can figure this out.
    I have Windows media player to watch video's and VLC Media player for movies. of course useless if windows can't read the Video files from the DVD players?

Clintlgm, Oct 31, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Can you see any individual files on the disks or just cant play DVD/CD multimedia files ?

CountMike, Oct 31, 2017
  7. kipper Win User
    Have you recently installed any burning software.......could be an upper filter problem...

kipper, Oct 31, 2017
  8. Clintlgm Win User

Yes no files show up in any disk.

Clintlgm, Oct 31, 2017
  9. Clintlgm Win User
    Well I Have had Roxio Creator, installed for a long time Beta tested it for Adaptec.
    Elaborate Bytes Clone DVD2 burning program install for ever. Slysoft Clone CD, I removed CS2 which I have no license for to be honest this issue might have started with that uninstall?

I did try uninstalling Low and High filter awhile back, that BSOD me had to restore an Image, not sure which one I deleted that cause that?

Clintlgm, Oct 31, 2017
  10. kipper Win User
    With the older Adaptec and even Roxio you very well could have problems with the Upper Drivers........do you have ImgBurn installed, ImgBurn is the easiest and safest way to delete the upper or lower drivers installed or corrupted by burning programs....

kipper, Oct 31, 2017
  11. Clintlgm Win User
    I did just drop in an old CDRW with some old pictures this loaded up and I was able to see the picture files? I am beginning to wonder is perhaps I'm having an DRM issue? I'm not familiar with DRM and computer DVD players perhaps I need to upgrade my DVD Player/Recorder? is this possible

Clintlgm, Oct 31, 2017
  12. Clintlgm Win User
    I'm not ignoring you I just do see adding another burning program with out solving the current issue of not seeing files on DVD or CD I did try an old original copy of office 2000 and it did not load up the files.

Clintlgm, Oct 31, 2017
  13. kipper Win User

You can delete the upper filters via the Registry if you are comfortable doing that........

ImgBurn is a very light program and probably the best burning software available and it is free.......if you decide to go via ImgBurn I will gladly post a couple of screen shots showing the "filter loading order" and the step to delete them......I will keep an eye on this thread to see how you are doing....

Since you are able to see the CD disc it might just be that you have the DVD laser going bad but in both drives at the same time.....that would be a hell of a coincidence.....

kipper, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DVD Drive, not reading any Media - Similar Threads - DVD Drive reading

2. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  3. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  4. DVD drive will not read my software DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DVD drive will not read my software DVD: I have upgraded my hardware and my TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-233C players will not read my software disc. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing both drives, but this has not worked. I have tried installing new drivers and this has not worked This is what the event manager is...
  5. dvd drive not reading

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    dvd drive not reading: i just restored pc drive letters changed now my dvd drive is not reading https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-not-reading/57a31ac9-2a07-4415-aa57-01aa5f4381ff
  6. Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD: I have scoured the internet for the solutions that have been posted but none of them have yet to be successful. This is the only thing holding me back from upgrading from 7 to 10 on my main computer. It seems that on my multiple computers with Windows 10, no movie DVD can...
  7. DVD Drive Won't Read Discs

DVD Drive Won't Read Discs: Hello! I have a Dell Latitude e6440. The DVD drive just randomly stopped reading disc's a week and a half ago in the middle of playing a DVD. Any ideas of things I could try to fix it?...
  8. DVD drive not showing up/DVD not being read

DVD drive not showing up/DVD not being read: My DVD drive was working fine yesterday it went into hibernate mode and upon logging back in the drive no longer showed in my drive list nor is it recognizing the DVD (I've tried multiple). I had several updates that I had been putting off so I allowed those but it did not...
  9. Disk drive does not read any DVD's anymore. (Not a hardware problem)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk drive does not read any DVD's anymore. (Not a hardware problem): Hello, Since I upgraded to windows10 I am unable to watch movies from a DVD. I can read other kinds of disks just fine, just not movies. For instance, I wanted to watch the sixth Harry Potter movie. So I enter my DVD but my laptop just says there is no disk entered. I...
  10. CD/DVD Drive not reading discs

CD/DVD Drive not reading discs: Hello! Since upgrading to Windows 10 my PC has been unable to read any CD/DVD disc I put in. I hear it spinning so I doubt there's any problem with the CD/DVD Drive itself. [img] I was thinking it could be a driver issue, but there doesn't seem like there's any...