Windows 10: DVD drive was working under Win7, completely disappeared after inst 10

Discus and support DVD drive was working under Win7, completely disappeared after inst 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This issue is as simple as the subject line. My DVD drive was working fine under Windows 7. In fact I even installed 10 from a burned DVD. Now it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lucentv, Jul 30, 2015.

1. lucentv Win User

DVD drive was working under Win7, completely disappeared after inst 10

This issue is as simple as the subject line. My DVD drive was working fine under Windows 7. In fact I even installed 10 from a burned DVD. Now it is completely MIA. No exclamation-marked devices on device manager or anything. I did try a couple solutions that were supposed to work on a similar problem on 8, namely registry changes, but they did no good. I can't even find mention of this being a Windows 10 problem anywhere.

:)

lucentv, Jul 30, 2015
  2. DaveJYD Win User

DVD drive not recognized in Windows 10

My problem is even more weird - after installing WIN10, my DVD drives were working fine - however an update ran on August 5th, and lo & behold all of my DVD drives disappeared. This happened on 3 PCs that I had put WIN10 on - - - with this (plus the video
    driver issues) I now have 3 PCs running WIN7 again.

DaveJYD, Jul 30, 2015
  3. 2nd hard disk not available after installing windows 10

Have a Seagate hard disk as 2nd drive under Windows 7. This drive completely disappeared after installing Windows 10.

ElmerMitchell, Jul 30, 2015
  4. FR33Z3 Win User

I am experiencing the same exact thing but with no working fixes as you have mentioned. Could we be the only 2 people this has happened to? Question, does your drive show up in bios? Mine does

FR33Z3, Jul 31, 2015
  5. lucentv Win User
    I finally got it working. What's weird is that I really did try this Win8 trick 2 times before.

Right click the start button and open an admin command prompt and paste this in, then reboot;
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

Mind you it did take about 3 times to work.

lucentv, Jul 31, 2015
  6. FR33Z3 Win User
    very nice! glad you got it working! I have a few extra sata connections on my Motherboard so I decided to give it a shot by changing to another empty slot and VIOLA!! it works!!!!

FR33Z3, Jul 31, 2015
  7. antonio Win User
    Thanks so much for that , worked first time . Cheers !

antonio, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Gryphon Win User

Thanks for this! You not the only folks dealing with this problem. *Smile

I've been having the missing DVD drive issue ever since Win 10 was installed. I'm going to give this a try and see what happens.

Well, gave that fix a shot and nothing so far. The DVD drive is still MIA in Windows . . . but it works fine in Ubuntu 14.04.

Gryphon, Aug 1, 2015
  9. bobc4d Win User
    I am having the same issue, CD loads but no files. I tried the fix 4 times and it still does not work. any ideas?

bobc4d, Aug 1, 2015
  10. rive0108 Win User
    I had this issue with my upgrade from 7 to 10

The fix for me was relatively simple, I moved the SATA connector in MB to another one, and rebooted. Problem fixed.

rive0108, Aug 7, 2015
  11. chiko Win User
    Reg hack worked for me.
    <rant>We created Plug n Play back around 1995. Not sure what we did in 2015 to break it.</rant>

chiko, Aug 7, 2015
  12. GDaddyo Win User
    I tried it 3 times, but I neglected to open the "Command Prompt (Admin)." I just opened the "Command Prompt."

GDaddyo, Aug 7, 2015
  13. MaccaSan Win User

Thank you!!!! Worked first time like a charm *Smile If you'r ever in Perth i'll happily buy you a beer!

MaccaSan, Aug 8, 2015
  14. Simple Win User
    You could also try this:

1- Remove the DVD if exists in the device manage (check the box delete from hard disk).
    2- Shutdown the computer and disconnect the Hardware.
    3- Restart the computer with Hardware disconnected, Check the device manage, if exists, remove it.
    4- Shutdown and reconnect Hardware.
    5- Restart computer, Windows should update the proper driver.

Simple, Aug 8, 2015
  15. jerbil Win User
    I'm not sure if it is quite the same problem but I have tried the solution three times and it didn't help.

The drive shows in System Information but I can only see the drive in Explorer, if there is a disk with data on it in the drive. With a new DVD RW, it doesn't show and so (in that situation) I can't do a backup. There is no problem with Explorer on three other systems (a mixture of 7's and 8.1) and it (well, with other DVDs from the same batch) was recognised when I had 7 on this system but now, with 10, it doesn't show.

Update; Just for the record, I formatted the DVD-RW on another system and the drive (and disc) now show in Explorer so it appears to be that Windows 10 doesn't recognise the drive unless there is a formatted disc in it, which seems strange.

Update: Lol! However, although the disc shows normally on other systems as far as usage is concerned (i.e. empty), it shows as full on the Win 10 system so I can't write to it.

jerbil, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. DVD drive was working under Win7, completely disappeared after inst 10 - Similar Threads - DVD drive was

2. NVMe Drives completely disappeared after working for 5 months

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NVMe Drives completely disappeared after working for 5 months: I have 2 Sabrent Rocket NVMe drives that have been working completely fine. The other night I hit "Update and Shut Down" and went to bed. When I woke up the next morning and powered on my PC, the NVMe drives no longer showed in windows.Both drives still appear in the...
  3. Disappearing DVD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disappearing DVD drive: My Dell XPS 8920 (Windows 10) had an Dell OEM DVD writer (Drive E) which stopped working after a year. While the DVD drive was working, I purchased an external Pioneer BRD XD05B USB blu-ray writer (Drive G) to play Blu-ray discs. I replaced the Dell OEM DVD writer with an...
  4. DVD drive has disappeared

DVD drive has disappeared: DVD drive no longer appears as a device. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-has-disappeared/3d6e93f2-a2d3-490e-a40e-a467b68b617a
  5. DVD drives unsupported since Win7

DVD drives unsupported since Win7: I am always struggling to get response from My DVD drive, and seem to go back to square one after an upgrade to the system. I have researched this several times, and achieved success in different ways, sometimes using proprietry software. I I should track this, but keep...
  6. DVD drives unsupported since Win7

in Windows 10 Support
    DVD drives unsupported since Win7: I am always struggling to get response from My DVD drive, and seem to go back to square one after an upgrade to the system. I have researched this several times, and achieved success in different ways, sometimes using proprietry software. I I should track this, but keep...
  7. DVD/RW drive disappeared in Windows 10

DVD/RW drive disappeared in Windows 10: I can't find my DVD/RW drive in Windows 10. It was working find, then everything disappeared? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdrw-drive-disappeared-in-windows-10/48593b32-49f6-48ad-abfe-a493ae557bfb
  8. DVD Drive has disappeared in Windows 10

DVD Drive has disappeared in Windows 10: Really strange... I was using it this afternoon to burn some audio discs, and all of a sudden it has disappeared. It doesn't show up in File Explorer at all. Where might it have gone?????...
  9. CD/DVD drive disappears completely - worn out or internal issue?

CD/DVD drive disappears completely - worn out or internal issue?: Hello, I've had issues with my optical disk drive over the summer, happening more and more frequently until now, if I can get the drive to appear in File Explorer, it disappears within minutes. I have run Windows Update; my system's up to date. I've searched for updates to...
  10. Disappearing dvd drive

Disappearing dvd drive: When I hook up an internal hard drive in win 10 my DVD drive disappears . Cant find it in explorer . The second hard drive takes the D letter and no DVD rom is shown . When i disconnect the HD the DVD returns as D drive . Any suggestions . SATA connections on everything . 36794