Windows 10: DVD Drives Causing Black Screen

Discus and support DVD Drives Causing Black Screen in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Guys, I did a clean install of Windows 10 and, because of problems with installation,I disconnected all unnecessary DVD drives and expansion cards... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ymisyd, Sep 14, 2015.

1. ymisyd Win User

DVD Drives Causing Black Screen

Guys,
    I did a clean install of Windows 10 and, because of problems with installation,I disconnected all unnecessary DVD drives and expansion cards etc.

I decided to reconnect my DVD drives today to two spare ports on the mobo but, when I started the computer I got a black screen with two strange symbols before Windows attempted to start. The computer just hangs on the black screen. I tried disconnecting the drives in turn, different SATA cables and even starting in safe mode but the result is the same - black screen with strange symbols immediately after POST.
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mark

DVD Drives Causing Black Screen [​IMG]

:)

ymisyd, Sep 14, 2015

2. Windows 10 --- now only black screen!

Loaded Windows 10 to 3 laptops with no issues, however, loaded it to the HP All-In-One and have nothing but a black screen. Tried a restore disc but it won't even read the DVD drive, or a thumb drive. It originally scrolled screens for a minute, flashed
    a lot, and then just went black and that is where it is now.

ConniePepin, Sep 14, 2015
  3. Windows 10 upgrade - Intel C600 storage controller issue

My computer is a Dell T3600 with RAID capability, even though I have only one hard drive. The hard drive is connected to the "HDD0" port, which is used with RAID. The DVD-R/W drive is connected to the "SATA0" port.

At first, I could not upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, because Win 10 could not see the HDD0 port. I asked Dell support. They said to connect the hard drive to the SATA0 port, and the DVD drive to the SATA1 port. Windows 7 took that in stride, after a reboot
    due to the hardware change. I was able to upgrade to Win 10.

Now I wanted to move the drive back to the HDD0 port. I was able to do so after getting a link for a driver from Dell. In Win 10's Device Manager, the RAID controller was shown without a driver, which I installed after downloading it from the Dell link.
    So, after accomplishing that, my hard drive is back on the HDD0 port, and the DVD drive is back on the SATA0 port.

Now - here is my issue. When the hard drive was on the SATA0 port, the boot sequence was Dell BIOS screen, black screen, black screen with Windows logo, black screen, gray-green screen, login screen. With the hard drive on the HDD0 port, the boot sequence
    is Dell BIOS screen, black screen, black screen with Windows logo, black screen, black screen with Windows logo, black screen, gray-green screen, login screen. It appears that Windows is testing, and waiting for a timeout on, the SATA0 port before trying the
    HDD0 port, where it succeeds. I tried disabling the SATA port by removing its driver in Device Manager, then disabling the port in the Dell BIOS. The delay still happens.

How can I get Windows to go direct to the HDD0 port to boot, and to skip the SATA port? Dell Support has told me, in effect, "that's the way it works", because they don't understand Windows enough.

Electroguy(2), Sep 14, 2015
  4. ymisyd Win User

Hello,
    Never seen anything like this before but, after some searching online, I tried changing the boot order as I could see the drive/s in BIOS.
    The black screen with those strange symbols has gone now and I can boot into Windows with the drive/s connected (I can't see one of them in Windows at the moment but at least I'm most of the way there).
    Thanks,
    Mark

ymisyd, Sep 15, 2015
Thema:

1. DVD Drives Causing Black Screen - Similar Threads - DVD Drives Causing

2. Bios Key causes Black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios Key causes Black screen: My computer won’t let me use Bios key.When I turn my computer on the keyboard and mouse light up then after 8-10 seconds the Num lock key light up. Pressing Bios key before the Num Lock Key lights up makes the monitor stay on a black screen but pressing it after just makes it...
  3. Bios Key causes Black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios Key causes Black screen: My computer won’t let me use Bios key.When I turn my computer on the keyboard and mouse light up then after 8-10 seconds the Num lock key light up. Pressing Bios key before the Num Lock Key lights up makes the monitor stay on a black screen but pressing it after just makes it...
  4. nvlddmkm causing black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    nvlddmkm causing black screen: Nvlddmkm is causing my computer to black screen randomly. I cannot use any program without it doing this. It is event id 14. Here is what it says.The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed...
  5. nvlddmkm causing black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    nvlddmkm causing black screen: Nvlddmkm is causing my computer to black screen randomly. I cannot use any program without it doing this. It is event id 14. Here is what it says.The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed...
  6. Unsure of black screen issue cause

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unsure of black screen issue cause: Before I start explaining the issue here are my specs + os:OS: WIndows 11MB:B450 TOMAHAWKGPU: RX 580CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight CoreI've been having this issue for almost more than 2 months my screen has been going black under load and the pc has still been running mouse and...
  7. Secure boot causing black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secure boot causing black screen: Every time I enable secure boot my monitor goes black screen after saving changes and leaving the bios . I am able to restart pc and turn secure boot off and the screen starts working again and let’s me sign in. However I need secure boot on to upgrade to windows 11 need help...
  8. Graphic Driver causes black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphic Driver causes black screen: Hi there, I hope you are doing well ^^! So, i'm facing a serious trouble with my new graphic card "GTX 760" and i hope you could help me guys, First, check out my PC config => Config : - Mobo : MSI Z87M Gaming - Cpu: Intel Core i5 4éme Gen 4460 / 3.2 Ghz OC: 3.5 Ghz - Ram :...
  9. DVD drive causing "Not Responding" on explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DVD drive causing "Not Responding" on explorer: Whenever I try to put any disk inside drive it causes whole computer explorer.exe most notably to stop responding and forces me to restart using power button. Drive shouldn't be defective as this problem only occurs when using Windows 10 and doesn't have any problems...
  10. Discord Overlay causes BLACK SCREEN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Discord Overlay causes BLACK SCREEN: So I was playing games on my PC and wanted to check on discord messages so I press the Overlay key and it caused a Black Screen , This never happened and my screen is Blacked out. I Tried restarting the PC and the window logo on the startup is gone. the Window booted properly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dvd drive csusing black screen