Windows 10: DVD drives will no longer recognize discs after the latest "update"

Discus and support DVD drives will no longer recognize discs after the latest "update" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two DVD-RW/CDR drives that will no longer recognize valid discs since the latest Windows 10 update. I upgraded from Win 7 just over a month ago,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kenship, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Kenship Win User

DVD drives will no longer recognize discs after the latest "update"

I have two DVD-RW/CDR drives that will no longer recognize valid discs since the latest Windows 10 update. I upgraded from Win 7 just over a month ago, and they seemed to work fine. The system information shows that they are good drives, but they consistently eject valid discs and ask for a proper disc to be inserted.

? Anyone have any ideas?

:)

Kenship, Aug 20, 2016
  2. GIL A Win User

After Win 10 upgrade, disc drive will not operate

Turns out to be a defective LG drive (brand new). Thanks for worrying.

GIL A, Aug 20, 2016
  3. Windows only recognized DVD Drive when Music CD or Software CD/DVD inserted.

Since the upgrade to the final version of Windows 10, my DVD/CD drive does not recognize blank discs or a disc that has been formatted on another computer. Music CDs are recognized. I ran the troubleshooter and it did not find a problem with the drive
    and in Device Manager, it is marked as functioning properly. I tried the trouble shooter "View All" but the "Playing and Burning of DVD...." is not in the list of troubleshooting packs available. This drive functioned just fine until the final W10 version
    was installed.

BJWalker Jr, Aug 20, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, just a thought which may be of no use.. I found autoplay settings had been changed when I installed the anniversary upgrade. Whilst people had found autoplay not working for optical media previously, it does seem to now (after a simple well-known registry mod not unique to Win 10). You might like to check those settings.

dalchina, Aug 20, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    I haven't seen that personally.

This may not be a fix for your problem, but I expect that it's some sort of bad Registry entry:

https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...d-dvd-rom.html

(I haven't had a problem with an optical drive since I was running NT4 on a work PC 15 years ago.)

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DVD drives will no longer recognize discs after the latest "update" - Similar Threads - DVD drives longer

2. CD/DVD drive not recognized after Windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD drive not recognized after Windows update: After windows installed the last update on my win 10 pro/64 it doesn't recognize my cd/dvd drive at all. Its not listed even in device manager or anywhere at all. It fails to find it when you ask it to locate it. I'm not a geek and have tried all the easier things I could on...
  3. dvd drive not recognized

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dvd drive not recognized: I upgraded windows 7 to 10 when it came out but I failed to install the dvd player at the time, I went to purchase it from microsoft but the app doesnt recognize the drive f at all and the driver say cd not dvd not sure what to do at this point *Moved from Windows Vista to...
  4. My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.

My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.: My CD/DVD drive is not recognized by my HP Elitebook. I tried uninstalling the driver and restarting the system several times. When I restart, the drivers are reinstalled and Device Manager reports that the drive is working correctly. However, the drive does not show up in...
  5. DVD/CD-ROM drive can't recognize disc

DVD/CD-ROM drive can't recognize disc: My optical drive is ATAPI iHAS124 F, and when I put a disc in, the disc doesn't show on File Explorer. When I try to open the disc in VLC Media Player, it doesn't load, and if I select DVD RW Drive (E:) when it has the disc, it would show the hourglass and then not respond....
  6. DVD drive not recognized?

DVD drive not recognized?: The DVD drive in the Acer Aspire E 15 (Acer E5-573) does not recognize the CDs. [ATTACH] The CDs are shown in file managers / other programs, there the drive letter is shown: [ATTACH] Drive Manger, Win: [ATTACH] How could the CD shown by all programs? 128554
  7. DVD RW Drive E not recognizing formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc

DVD RW Drive E not recognizing formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc: My DVD RW Drive E does not recognize a formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc that I am trying to burn. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw-drive-e-not-recognizing-formatted-verbatim/64c0442b-a193-4511-9413-3efe8f2858ff
  8. DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs: I am running Microsoft 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop that is 2 years old. All software and drivers are current. In the last week I've made about 20 discs with family videos. I ran out of DVDs and bought a spindle of 50 DVDs of the exact same brand/type (SONY DVD-R 120 min/4/7...
  9. No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive

No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive: Since receiving the Win 10 Home upgrade my computer no longer recognizes the DVD drive. It doesn't show in Device Manger or in the device list in This PC although it does spin up if you insert media into it. I've tried all the suggested remedies except messing with the...
  10. DVD-R disc - contents not recognized

DVD-R disc - contents not recognized: I have several DVD discs that were recorded on a standalone DVD recorder and finalized. The content of these discs is non-commercial: home movies transferred from a Mini-DV camcorder. Windows 10 shows the discs as being blank. When viewed in Disc Management, it shows the file...