Windows 10: DVD player no longer working after Windows 10 update...

Discus and support DVD player no longer working after Windows 10 update... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I know that this problem has already been addressed several times on these pages, but the generally accepted solution (registry hack) does not work for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Florio, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Florio Win User

DVD player no longer working after Windows 10 update...

I know that this problem has already been addressed several times on these pages, but the generally accepted solution (registry hack) does not work for me. When I place a DVD in the drive, it seems to start spinning, makes quite a bit of noise, and then just stops without any software opening to play the content.

I never had problems in the past with the DVD player, but admittedly it's been a while since I last watched DVD content on my laptop, and in the meantime I've had serious PC problems which led to the removal of several programs like Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center.

I've now made sure Autoplay associates a program with DVDs etc, but no reaction from my laptop. Not sure what to do.

P.S Quick update: the drive is no longer listed in File Manager, but is included in Disk Management (although it says 'No media' even when there is in fact a DVD inserted)

:)

Florio, Feb 1, 2018
  2. kmlure Win User

Windows DVD Player for W10Pro

Hi

I went back to WINDOWS 7 first. Wiped out the Windows 10 installation that never got the Windows DVD player.

After receiving the Windows 10 upgrade and the Windows DVD Player update I confirmed the DVD player software works.

The issue no longer exists but not because it was "fixed". It no longer exists because that installation of W10 no longer exists.

I cant say it is fixed, but it no longer exists.

Thanks,

karen

kmlure, Feb 1, 2018
  3. Toshiba DVD Player no longer working after Windows 10 update

Yesterday the Windows 10 automatic update for June 2017 install on my computer and now the Toshiba DVD Player no longer works. When I insert a DVD the auto play will open the Toshiba DVD Player but it will not play the DVD. After the player opens it is
    as if it does not recognize a DVD being in the drive. Is there a fix for this?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

slamthebball, Feb 1, 2018
  4. LRW
    lrw Win User

No help from me, unfortunately. I currently have a discussion ongoing here that may show some ideas. You can see what has transpired so far with my case, here: DVD drive missing from 'THIS PC'

5. Berton Win User
    A 'clue' to a hardware issue is that empty drives, by default, are usually not shown in File Manager, should show in File Explorer when a disc is in the drive. In Disk Management the ODD shows No media when empty and shows only the partition on the disc when it is present in the drive. If the disc is not being detected it is usually a bad disc or a bad drive, an extreme possibility is the controller on the motherboard for the data connection is bad, might try changing the cable.

Berton, Feb 1, 2018
  6. Florio Win User
    Thanks, lrw. In actual fact I'd already read your post, and have been following developments. My firmware is dated 2006, but apparently it's the most recent version!!

Florio, Feb 1, 2018
  7. Florio Win User
    I've now spent two entire days trying to solve this situation; it's frustrating to see that what has worked for the majority of those experiencing the same problem will not work for me. I think I must have tried every solution offered on the internet (changing registry keys; updating, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers; hiding folders and then making them visible, etc.).

The first step is surely that of restoring the drive to File Manager. Then I have to discover why my discs are no longer playing when inserted in the drive. Just a few weeks ago I used the DVD drive to copy CD content into my Music folders, so this problem has only surfaced recently, and I've been using Windows 10 for a few years now.

Sill hoping for some help from fellow forum dvd enthusiasts...

Florio, Feb 1, 2018
  8. DVD player no longer working after Windows 10 update...

Have you tried a system restore to a point before this started? (easiest things first) Have you tried this:

1. Go to Device Manager then uninstall the Optical drive driver.
    2. Press Windows + R together at the same time on your keyboard then once the Run box is open type in "regedit"
    3. Once in Registry Editor expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    4. Expand SYSTEM after that expand CurrentControlSet
    5. Expand Control and again expand Class.
    6. Under Class please look for these set of number 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 then click it.
    7. After you clicked on it on the right pane look for UpperFilters and LowerFilters then delete it. (if you were ask if you want to delete it just click yes)
    8. Close everything out then reboot your PC, try to read some disc again after the reboot.

Seems to have worked for most.

indianacarnie, Feb 2, 2018
  9. Florio Win User
    Thanks for your reply, indianacarnie. I had already tried the solution you suggested, and it didn't work for me.
    I ended up following a suggestion found on the Italian Microsoft forum; I basically had to update/reinstall Windows 10 (Fall edition) again. This did work, however, as I was immediately able to see my DVD drive in 'My PC'. It wasn't showing in File Manager, but I managed to fix this by going to View -->Show all Folders.
    The actual problem (noise) with the DVD player turned out to be dust or dirt on the lens. I cleaned the lens, and now everything is running as it should!!

Florio, Feb 2, 2018
  10. LRW
    lrw Win User
    Hey, Florio! File manager / options / view tab/ then at the bottom, checked Show all Folders - that worked for me too to show the D: in FM but I may still have an issue with it not recognizing media. I need to try with some new discs or other media. It may need a better cleaning or maybe it is pooched, but at least I see the drive letter D:

Thema:

1. DVD player no longer working after Windows 10 update... - Similar Threads - DVD player longer

2. Windows 10 DVD Player Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 DVD Player Not Working: Bought the DVD Player for Windows 10, I have a USB plug in DVD player. System does not recognize it. I cannot find the DVD player on my system, even though I downloaded and installed. I think this is a scam by Microsoft. Paid my $14 for something that should have...
  3. DVD player not working after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD player not working after Windows 10 update: My DVD had been uninstalled per advised in this forum. To reinstall I was supposed to right click at the start button and go to "command prompt" admin I don't see this option when I right click start.. The post I followed was in 2015. What is the new name for the most current...
  4. dvd player not working after update

dvd player not working after update: just updated windows 10, as requested, and DVD player doesn't work. I've uninstalled dvd, restarted nothing... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player-not-working-after-update/4fc9b827-5068-4c0c-bc49-c1bc1e0f00d7
  5. After the latest Windows 10 update my DVD/CD player is no longer working

After the latest Windows 10 update my DVD/CD player is no longer working: My PC updated Windows 10 with the latest update at the weekend. Since then my DVD player has stopped working. At first it worked intermittently but now it has stopped altogether. I have tried various solutions including uninstalling the device in device manager and nothing...
  6. DVD player for Windows 10 is not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD player for Windows 10 is not working.: I purchased the microsoft DVD player for Windows 10 in April 2019. 7 months later it is not working. Can it be fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player-for-windows-10-is-not-working/a646abd3-bb0a-4433-b01b-cb55670c8797
  7. DVD player no longer present after upgrade from vista to windows 10

DVD player no longer present after upgrade from vista to windows 10: After installing windows 10 my built-in DVD player/burner is not present in the hardware list. Does not open, seems unexisting. Even the forced opening with a pen in the little hole does not work. Looks complete powerless. I followed several possible solutions but nothing...
  8. My DVD player no longer works?

My DVD player no longer works?: It appears that with one of the Microsoft updates, Power DVD was added to my computer. The problem is it will not read DVD's with out purchasing an upgrade.. It worked fine the last time I played a DVD.. ( which I don't do very often) What can I do? I have a big test to...
  9. CD/DVD player does not work after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD/DVD player does not work after Windows 10 update: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU - 208d8 driver does not work after upgrade to Windows 10. I enabled the Resolution+ Plug-in for Windows Media Player and still does not work. Please advise on what I can do to get my PC to play the DVDs. It does recognize what's in the player but doesn't...
  10. dvd player not working after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dvd player not working after Windows 10 update: How do I download or update the drivers (?) for my DVD player. Worked one day and after Windows 10 "update" it doesn't work anymore! Shouldn't they be responsible for that???...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dvd player no longer works after upgrade

2. Wibdows 10 DVD player no longer working