Windows 10: DVD-R disc - contents not recognized

Discus and support DVD-R disc - contents not recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have several DVD discs that were recorded on a standalone DVD recorder and finalized. The content of these discs is non-commercial: home movies... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by colinu, Mar 28, 2016.

1. colinu Win User

DVD-R disc - contents not recognized

I have several DVD discs that were recorded on a standalone DVD recorder and finalized. The content of these discs is non-commercial: home movies transferred from a Mini-DV camcorder. Windows 10 shows the discs as being blank. When viewed in Disc Management, it shows the file systems for these discs as RAW. It does not show me the Audio_TS and Video_TS folders. These are not re-writable discs, and only one session was recorded to each disc. I have tried these discs on two different Windows 10 machines with different DVD drives - same result. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 (swapped out the hard drive) - again no access to disc contents in Windows Explorer. Yes, I have selected "show hidden files". I also checked the registry for the upper and lower filters that prevented some machines from seeing their optical discs drives.

Additional info:

The same systems do recognize a commercially pressed DVD and shows me the contents (VOB files etc.)

I tried said discs in a Windows Vista machine and was able to see the contents.

I can see the disc name and access the contents on a 2009 MacBook Pro running El Capitan.

I can view the videos on said discs in VLC and Power DVD on these PCs (the Windows 10 machines).

I cannot access the content of the discs using the appropriate Import media settings in both Premiere Elements 11 and Sony Vegas Pro 10.

Any ideas?

:)

colinu, Mar 28, 2016

2. Writing/Burning DVD Discs with Windows 10.

I am running Windows 10. I have an external DVD drive. It reads everything. However, when I put in new DVD +R discs to burn a video, I get a message saying that Windows does not recognize the disc. What kind of disc will Windows recognize? It is
    also not recognizing my blank CD - R discs.

HaroldHimmelfarb, Mar 28, 2016
  3. general09 Win User
    DVD Player doesn't work under Windows 10

Just discovered a problem and don’t know if it is related to Windows 10. I have a Plextor BD-R PX-LB950SA BDR/DVD player installed. Windows 10 recognizes that such a drive is installed. Device Manager says the driver
    is up to date and the device is operating properly. However, Windows does not recognize content of any DVD inserted, in fact, it does not even recognize there is a disc in the player. I have tried a couple of different software players with the same result.
    Any ideas?

Additional information: Windows 10 recognized a blank DVD and burned several files to the disc.
    I know the files were burned because when you click on Properties for the disc, the space used equals the size of the files.
    However, it can’t read the files it supposedly burned to the disc.

general09, Mar 28, 2016
  4. mike s Win User

Of course, you answered what would be my first question (are they finalized?) in your post. Your other info suggests that you know the drill, and have excluded some of the usual reasons. I suspect that your DVD recorder is producing discs that break the rules for either the Windows 10 file system drivers or your Win10 machine's DVD drive firmware, or both, in a subtle way.

I assume you are trying to import the video to your editing software.

What about trying alternate means of getting the files off the disc (ISObuster for generic optical media recovery; DVD ripping software like DVDFab, AnyDVD HD, etc). Or connect an external USB DVD drive, preferably another brand from your internal, and see if it will read the discs.

I have an ancient Panasonic standalone DVD video recorder which once produced discs that my PC could not read just as you describe. In the end I discovered that there was a formatting issue (after finalization it was writing bad blocks at the end of the disc, which fooled the PC into thinking it was unformatted). This was ultimately solved with a firmware update for the recorder. In the meantime, I used DVDFab (which bypasses CDFS rules because it must deal with copy protection schemes) to extract the contents of the disc and it allowed me to do what I wanted to.

mike s, Mar 29, 2016
  5. colinu Win User
    I have tried the same discs on a second machine with Windows 10 - it was not able to read them.

Much of my experimentation has been on a Dell Optiplex 9010 with WIndows 10 Pro installed. I swapped out the hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro from the Dell Install disc. It recognized the DVDs in question.

I will give DVDFab a try and report back.

I also contacted MIcrosoft, and their support agent was stumped too.

colinu, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DVD-R disc - contents not recognized - Similar Threads - DVD disc contents

2. CD-R recognized as DVD RW on windows 11, will not let me burn CDDA files to disc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD-R recognized as DVD RW on windows 11, will not let me burn CDDA files to disc: Not much more to say, I have tried to burn the files in multiple formats including MP3 and M4A and the "burn to disc" option is greyed and unavailable. I have checked my disc port and it looks fine, I have inserted multiple different blank CDs into this computer with no luck...
  3. CD-R recognized as DVD RW on windows 11, will not let me burn CDDA files to disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD-R recognized as DVD RW on windows 11, will not let me burn CDDA files to disc: Not much more to say, I have tried to burn the files in multiple formats including MP3 and M4A and the "burn to disc" option is greyed and unavailable. I have checked my disc port and it looks fine, I have inserted multiple different blank CDs into this computer with no luck...
  4. Reformatting a DVD+R, 4.7 GB Disc - Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reformatting a DVD+R, 4.7 GB Disc - Question: Reformatting a DVD+R, 4.7 GB Disc - Question I was attempting to delete all files on a DVD disc that holds 4.7 GB. I did a reformat and the disc now shows 0 files. I then checked the Properties for the disc and it still shows most of my disc full. See screenshot #35. I then...
  5. deleting content on a cd-r disc in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleting content on a cd-r disc in windows 10?: How do I delete content on a cd-r disc? So that I can burn new music on it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-content-on-a-cd-r-disc-in-windows-10/87e3d3aa-533a-4fbe-8e23-ea52c0f0d9d8"
  6. DVD R

DVD R: how do I erase a disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-r/8cb187dd-f717-495c-95e3-99c1c3df5bb4
  7. How to format a DVD-R disc in Windows 10?

How to format a DVD-R disc in Windows 10?: How to format a DVD-R disk in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-a-dvd-r-disc-in-windows-10/5a1ef390-479c-4227-b64f-071c1033fcb1
  8. DVD RW Drive E not recognizing formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc

DVD RW Drive E not recognizing formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc: My DVD RW Drive E does not recognize a formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc that I am trying to burn. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw-drive-e-not-recognizing-formatted-verbatim/64c0442b-a193-4511-9413-3efe8f2858ff
  9. blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner

blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner: I’m running windows 10. In the past I’ve burned slides and videos onto blank DVD –R discs using Explorer and NERO. I’ve also burned slides onto CD-R discs. Now, for no apparent reason, neither of my 2 DVD drives will recognize a blank DVD-R disc. I’ve used blank SONY discs...
  10. DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs: I am running Microsoft 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop that is 2 years old. All software and drivers are current. In the last week I've made about 20 discs with family videos. I ran out of DVDs and bought a spindle of 50 DVDs of the exact same brand/type (SONY DVD-R 120 min/4/7...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dvd contents not recognised