Windows 10: DVD R/W drive has disappeared after upgrading to Windows 10

Discus and support DVD R/W drive has disappeared after upgrading to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I cannot find the DVD R/W drive on my desktop. I cannot play CDs nor DVDs. 13864 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GDaddyo, Aug 6, 2015.

1. GDaddyo Win User

DVD R/W drive has disappeared after upgrading to Windows 10

I cannot find the DVD R/W drive on my desktop. I cannot play CDs nor DVDs.

:)

GDaddyo, Aug 6, 2015
  2. GDaddyo Win User

Lost DVD R/W drive After Upgrade to Windows 10

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8, my DVD R/W drive disappeared.

I have a stock HP s5110t PC with a Lightscribe DVD read write drive that worked perfectly until the upgrade. How do I restore it to a usable device?

GDaddyo, Aug 6, 2015
  3. auggy Win User
    Lost DVD R/W drive After Upgrade to Windows 10

Hi Billie,

Is the DVD drive showing up in the BIOS?

Also, if you open the Device Manager and expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers", what is listed?

auggy, Aug 6, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Does it show up (unidentified) in "other devices" in Device Manager?

If so, you could try removing it and rebooting.

bobkn, Aug 6, 2015
  5. chiko Win User
    My SATA DVD did not survive the upgrade from Win7 to 10. It does not even show as a ? device in Device manager. DVD/CD only shows the virtual CDs for mounting .ISOs. Should I hot plug it to make it force to install?
    This seems like a bad idea but its sitting right now with a cold boot after disconnecting the data cable.

I think part of the problem may have been Magic ISO which I used in Win7. The "software" was removed during the upgrade (from media as I was impatient) but the driver remained and was stuck with the mounted driver. I removed all the vestiges of Magic Disc ISO from the registry (after exporting them to .REG files) and moved the drivers out so I think that is all cleaned up. But no joy bringing the auto discovery to work.

I tried the FixIt from MS for Windows 8.1 which did nothing during its run. Found nothing claimed to "fix" something but not details and no joy.

chiko, Aug 7, 2015
  6. chiko Win User
    CD/DVD drive not recognized - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

Fixed me right up with this reghack
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

Original answer from answers.microsoft.com but I found it here.

Thanks for this awesome resource.

chiko, Aug 7, 2015
  7. GDaddyo Win User
    "No, it does not show up anywhere. I tried to discover new devices and it was negative."

GDaddyo, Aug 7, 2015
  8. GDaddyo Win User

"I tried the reg edit 3 times with reboots. No success after three tries. Thanks for the suggestion."

GDaddyo, Aug 7, 2015
  9. PSelig Win User
    Since my motherboard supports up to four SATA devices (two on channel 0 and two on channel 1), I was finally able to get my DVD Writer to be recognized by adding a registry entry for all four SATA devices and then rebooting:

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice2 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice3 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice4 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

(Yes, I know that the EnumDevice probably starts with base 0 (EnumDevice0), but having the extra registry entry doesn't seem to hurt.)

PSelig, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DVD R/W drive has disappeared after upgrading to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - DVD drive has

2. Disappearing DVD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disappearing DVD drive: My Dell XPS 8920 (Windows 10) had an Dell OEM DVD writer (Drive E) which stopped working after a year. While the DVD drive was working, I purchased an external Pioneer BRD XD05B USB blu-ray writer (Drive G) to play Blu-ray discs. I replaced the Dell OEM DVD writer with an...
  3. DVD drive has disappeared

DVD drive has disappeared: DVD drive no longer appears as a device. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-has-disappeared/3d6e93f2-a2d3-490e-a40e-a467b68b617a
  4. Windows 10 Pro vsr. 1909 reads DVD-ROM as DVD-R/W

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Pro vsr. 1909 reads DVD-ROM as DVD-R/W: Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1909 read specifically all Criterion brand DVD-ROMs as DVD-R/W. When the DVD-ROM is in drive, File Explorer sees drive, clicking opens a dialogue pane asking whether to use the disk as USB. Under normal operation the name of the movie on the disk appears...
  5. DVD R/W

DVD R/W: Can a DVD R/W disk be converted from UDT to NTFS? I wish to create a system image but all the disks are UDT! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw/0aec9cf7-c75a-4efc-8bdd-753eea3f62aa
  6. CD DVD has disappeared from after Windows 10 upgrade

CD DVD has disappeared from after Windows 10 upgrade: After upgrading to Windows 10/64 on a Lenovo Z40-75, the cd/dvd icon has disappeared from my Computer and Device Manager When I insert a cd the operating light works, but nothing more happens. I attentively followed the fixes to the Registry as posted in the community,...
  7. DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's

DVD R/W drive in Device Manager but only reads audio CD's: Hey all, So! I recently installed Win10 ( clean 1903 - up to date ) on my Photoshop workstation. I wanted to dual boot with Win7 on a separate disk and set it up with the help of you guys - that's all fine. What I noticed this afternoon was my DVD R/W drive was not working...
  8. DVD Drive has disappeared in Windows 10

DVD Drive has disappeared in Windows 10: Really strange... I was using it this afternoon to burn some audio discs, and all of a sudden it has disappeared. It doesn't show up in File Explorer at all. Where might it have gone?????...
  9. DVD player disappeared after Win 10 upgrade

DVD player disappeared after Win 10 upgrade: Hello, I've just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and my DVD player has disappeared. I have a Toshiba Portege R830 PT321A 01K00201 When I go to device manager there are no yellow exclamations, there is just no DVD player there at all. I've checked the Toshiba...
  10. No DVD-R drive in device manager or This PC after upgrading to Windows

No DVD-R drive in device manager or This PC after upgrading to Windows: Hi, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and since that time I don't have a DVD – R drive. I still have my DVD – RW, but the other drive is missing from the device manager and the computer list. What happened to it? What steps can I take to recover it....