Windows 10: DVD-RAM udf file system problems, disc will not eject keeps spinning

Discus and support DVD-RAM udf file system problems, disc will not eject keeps spinning in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I need help with these DVD-RAM discs. I put in the disc, had some files, they read ok. I went to ERASE disc. Win10 erased disc, then gave me option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdowney717, Mar 10, 2018.

1. DVD-RAM udf file system problems, disc will not eject keeps spinning

I need help with these DVD-RAM discs.
    I put in the disc, had some files, they read ok.
    I went to ERASE disc. Win10 erased disc, then gave me option to format as UDF or as DVD files.

UDF files system is used for DVD-RAM discs. Selected UDF.
    Win10 formats disc ok. I copied files to disc. Works, disc is spinning like mad constant all the time.
    I tell it to eject disc, it says it refuses or cant eject the disc. I wait a while, disc keeps spinning as fast as possible.
    Nothing can stop the disc, will not eject...

I stick paper click in drive, try pops open, laser light remains on, disc spindle motor continues to spin.
    I tell windows 10 to shut down, it tries, I finally pull the plug, the disc spindle motor finally stops spinning.

On reboot windows is repairing the drive. The DVD-RAM disc I put in a linux PC, it is not formatted, unreadable.

What can I do? For now, impossible to use these discs.

:)

sdowney717, Mar 10, 2018

2. DVD-RAM discs troubles win10, the discs will not eject, stay spinning in windows 10

Hi, yes, I am attempting to eject using the right click menu, it will not eject.

Version is 1709 build is 16299.309

I am simply using windows file manager built in burning.

It took maybe 15-20 minutes to burn a 2gb file.

I verified that file was burnt properly to the DVD-RAM disk by testing it on a linux PC.

This problem is ONLY existing on DVD-RAM discs, which have that UDF file system.

DVD+RW behavior is normal.

The drive remains active once it begins burning any file to a DVD-RAM disc, the laser will not shut off, the spindle motor continues to spin.

Ejecting by using a paper clip is only way to remove the disc, and the drive still continues to run, laser is on, spindle motor is on. PC can not shut down, I have to unplug it from the wall and reboot after burning a DVD-RAM disc.

The DVD-RAM discs are made by Fuji Film.

I also run ubuntu linux and the discs do work as expected, meaning they can eject after burning a file.

I have erased some DVD-RAM in file manager, then tell it to format and function like a USB drive, the disk will spin up fast and I can write and read files from it, but it will never power down. Telling it to eject gives me an error. No matter how long
    I wait, the disk will spin like mad forever.

Other DVD-RAM discs, I did not format, just start writing files, they write and I can read from the disc, but again the discs refuse to be ejected.

I also sought help on 10forums

DVD-RAM udf file system problems, disc will not eject keeps spinning - Windows 10 Forums

sdowney717, Mar 10, 2018
  3. DVD-RAM discs troubles win10, the discs will not eject, stay spinning in windows 10

Ok, I ran the hardware troubleshooter, it said a PCI driver was missing, it did some adjustment, then said restart.

After reboot, I put in a DVD-RAM disc.. It read the files, and could open them. I then copied some files to the disc.

I then went to eject disc using the right click menu, it refused to eject giving me same error as before. I then tried to shutdown PC, it did eventually turn off.

See no other way to eject disc except to power down.

This I tried on a different win10 PC, and everything worked fine.

The problem is on the Optiplex 755 which has a DVD drive like unto a laptop drive.

The problem is also the DVD-RAM disc never stops spinning like mad in it's drive, it spins as fast as a disc can spin continually.

I suppose it cant eject a madly spinning disc.

Pressing the eject button on drive does not work for DVD-RAM, but will work for all other type of discs.

Pictures
    DVD-RAM udf file system problems, disc will not eject keeps spinning [​IMG]

DVD-RAM udf file system problems, disc will not eject keeps spinning [​IMG]

https://postimg.org/image/v6i70bk21/

https://postimg.org/image/o20drvkop/

sdowney717, Mar 10, 2018
  4. DVD-RAM udf file system problems, disc will not eject keeps spinning

No one knows?
    I did another test.
    I put in another DVD-RAM disc.
    I erased.
    Then I right clicked format.
    Formated ok, did not spin up fast.
    I then copied 1.8gb iso file onto the disk. It copied successfully, verified on a linux PC, however the disk drive never shut off and I could not eject the disk.
    Used paperclip to open the tray.
    I then tried to shut down the pc, it could not shutdown, screen turned off, but never did the DVD drive shut down.
    I finally had to hold in power button.
    On restart, win10 had issues, had to restart itself after 'collecting data'.

So, it seems like dvd-ram udf discs have serious usability issues, once they load up they refuse to unload.

I also asked this as a tech support question at MS.
    DVD-RAM discs troubles win10, the discs will not eject, stay spinning - Microsoft Community

sdowney717, Mar 12, 2018
Thema:

DVD-RAM udf file system problems, disc will not eject keeps spinning

1. DVD-RAM udf file system problems, disc will not eject keeps spinning - Similar Threads - DVD RAM udf

2. dvd drive keeps spinning up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dvd drive keeps spinning up: Whenever i open file explorer to view files or quick access the DVD drive spins up and i need to keep the DVD inserted.I have tried remove device but device is reinstalled and problem begins again....
  3. dvd drive keeps spinning up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dvd drive keeps spinning up: Whenever i open file explorer to view files or quick access the DVD drive spins up and i need to keep the DVD inserted.I have tried remove device but device is reinstalled and problem begins again....
  4. dvd drive keeps spinning up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Properties Not Correct For UDF DVD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Properties Not Correct For UDF DVD: I have a UDF DVD with four subdirectories on it. When I do a check properties at the root it doesn't reflect the contents of the subdirectories. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/properties-not-correct-for-udf-dvd/7e6d3342-761d-43d9-b2b7-ef057866891e
  6. Properties Not Correct For UDF DVD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Properties Not Correct For UDF DVD: I have a UDF DVD with four subdirectories on it. When I do a check properties at the root it doesn't reflect the contents of the subdirectories. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/properties-not-correct-for-udf-dvd/7e6d3342-761d-43d9-b2b7-ef057866891e
  7. Properties Not Correct For UDF DVD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. File Explorer is not reading CD/DVD: files/content invisible UDF file system

File Explorer is not reading CD/DVD: files/content invisible UDF file system: The File Explorer on my computer is not reading the files on my DVD/CD-ROM. The DVD/CD-ROM drive is working fine. Other CDs work ok. This CD, there are no files listed, shows "0 items". Right click on properties show file system is UDF and about 28MB used space. Right...
  9. Cannot read UDF file with Win dvd

Cannot read UDF file with Win dvd: DVD media player not working properly distorted pictere https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-read-udf-file-with-win-dvd/895ee8fb-2e16-4a43-90d6-fe1c7d93b3bd
  10. DVD RAM discs

DVD RAM discs: Hi, ;Does anyone know how to get windows to recognize DVD RAM discs. My dvd drive is HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM-GUE1,my computer ASUS A540L,with latest windows version. Windows shows invalid directory.; I know there is data on it but windows shows empty folder and will not play.; Any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. udf file settings in win 1803

2. dvd ram not ejecting on asus gl551jm