Windows 10: DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

Discus and support DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running Microsoft 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop that is 2 years old. All software and drivers are current. In the last week I've made about 20... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by slugrunnerZZ, Jul 4, 2018.

1. DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

I am running Microsoft 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop that is 2 years old. All software and drivers are current. In the last week I've made about 20 discs with family videos. I ran out of DVDs and bought a spindle of 50 DVDs of the exact same brand/type (SONY DVD-R 120 min/4/7 GB). I put in on of the new discs and the pop up window came up like normal asking me to give the DVD a name and whether I wanted to use it as a USB drive or as a CD/DVD. I selected CD/DVD (the bottom option). The drive began spinning around and acted as if it was copying the files, then it ejected the disc and said "There was a problem burning this disc. The disc wasn't burned successfully. Please make sure you have the latest firmware for your CD or DVD burner installed, then try again later." There was an option to try again with another disc, which I selected. I inserted a new disc and the drive spun around then ejected the disc and said "There is no disc in the CD or DVD burner. Please insert a writable disc."

Since that happened, every DVD I put into the drive has the same result...nothing happens. If I right click on the DVD drive from Windows Explorer and click "Format", Windows says "There is no disk in drive D. Please insert a disk"...yet there is a disk in the drive.

I have tried the following solutions: uninstall and reinstall the driver; uninstall the driver, shut down the computer and reboot; boot in safe mode. Nothing works. I know my drive is working fine and I believe this is a software issue, but I am at a loss as to how to fix it. Some have suggested that it is a problem with Autoplay - but changing the settings in Autoplay has no effect.

I obtained a Dell external CD/DVD burner from a friend and tried using that instead. The process with the external DVD burner went exactly like it did with my internal CD/DVD drive. It acted like it was going to burn a disc, then choked on it, ejected it, and thereafter refused to format or work with any DVD.

I tried a Memorex DVD-R 120 min/4.7 GB disc instead of Sony. Same result. I tried a Staples 700 MB CD-R. Same result.

Help.

:)

slugrunnerZZ, Jul 4, 2018

2. DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

Thank you for your help, Andre. I appreciate that it was so prompt!

My system is a Dell Inspiron 5558.

First step: Running Troubleshooter in Hardware and Devices and then restarting.
    Outcome: No change. The drive says to insert a disc, even though there is a brand new on in the drive.

Second step: Open Device Manager and update the driver for the DVD drive.
    Outcome: No change. Using the option to search the internet for the most current drive, Microsoft says the best driver for this device is already installed. FYI - the DVD drive is: TSSTcorp
    DVD+- SU-208GB

Third step: Open Administrator:Windows Powershell and run the regedit.exe command then restart.

Outcome: No change. The drive does not recognize a new/blank DVD-R.

Fourth step: Check out the suggestions at groovypost.com. Remove and reinstall the IDE/ATAPI drivers (ATA Channel 0, ATA Channel 1, and Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller).

Outcome: When I set the view to "show hidden devices" and expanded the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, there is only one listed: Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family
    SATA AHCI Controller. I didn't do anything because I wasn't sure about uninstalling that driver.

So, bottom line, nothing changed. The problem of the drive not recognizing a new DVD is persisting. The only thing that changed from four days ago, when I burned about 8 DVDs, and now, is that I ran out of the DVDs I was using and bought a new batch (identical
    brand and type to what I had been using - SONY DVD-R). I bought a second batch of a different brand - Maxell DVD-R - and those don't work either.

I don't believe it is a hardware issue because when I plug in an external Dell DVD+-R drive, it also doesn't recognize the discs.

This is really bumming me out. I am in the middle of a project and I can't finish it!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!!

slugrunnerZZ, Jan 29, 2020
  3. Ed_336 Win User
    DVD RW Drive E not recognizing formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc

My DVD RW Drive E does not recognize a formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc that I am trying to burn.

Any suggestions?

Ed_336, Jan 29, 2020
  4. DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

I am running Microsoft 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop that is 2 years old. All software and drivers are current. In the last week I've made about 20 discs with family videos. I ran out of DVDs and bought a spindle of 50 DVDs of the exact same brand/type (SONY
    DVD-R 120 min/4/7 GB). I put in on of the new discs and the pop up window came up like normal asking me to give the DVD a name and whether I wanted to use it as a USB drive or as a CD/DVD. I selected CD/DVD (the bottom option). The drive began spinning around
    and acted as if it was copying the files, then it ejected the disc and said "There was a problem burning this disc. The disc wasn't burned successfully. Please make sure you have the latest firmware for your CD or DVD burner installed, then try again later."
    There was an option to try again with another disc, which I selected. I inserted a new disc and the drive spun around then ejected the disc and said "There is no disc in the CD or DVD burner. Please insert a writable disc."

Since that happened, every DVD I put into the drive has the same result...nothing happens. If I right click on the DVD drive from Windows Explorer and click "Format", Windows says "There is no disk in drive D. Please insert a disk"...yet there is a disk
    in the drive.

I have tried the following solutions: uninstall and reinstall the driver; uninstall the driver, shut down the computer and reboot; boot in safe mode. Nothing works. I know my drive is working fine and I believe this is a software issue, but I am at a loss
    as to how to fix it. Some have suggested that it is a problem with Autoplay - but changing the settings in Autoplay has no effect.

I obtained a Dell external CD/DVD burner from a friend and tried using that instead. The process with the external DVD burner went exactly like it did with my internal CD/DVD drive. It acted like it was going to burn a disc, then choked on it, ejected it,
    and thereafter refused to format or work with any DVD.

I tried a Memorex DVD-R 120 min/4.7 GB disc instead of Sony. Same result. I tried a Staples 700 MB CD-R. Same result.

Help.

slugrunnerZZ, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

1. DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs - Similar Threads - DVD+ drive suddenly

2. Written DVD-R detected as a blank DVD-RW by computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Written DVD-R detected as a blank DVD-RW by computer: I recently found an old DVD with a film of an anniversary inside. I tried to put it in the dvd player but it didn't start.I then tried to insert it into my laptop's dvd drive, and indeed the disc is detected.The problem is that my disc is a DVD-R and the computer detects it...
  3. Written DVD-R detected as a blank DVD-RW by computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Written DVD-R detected as a blank DVD-RW by computer: I recently found an old DVD with a film of an anniversary inside. I tried to put it in the dvd player but it didn't start.I then tried to insert it into my laptop's dvd drive, and indeed the disc is detected.The problem is that my disc is a DVD-R and the computer detects it...
  4. Written DVD-R detected as a blank DVD-RW by computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW: I have loads of personal home videos that I have downloaded from Apple icloud. I would like to save them to DVD's as gifts for the family. Each time I click on "Burn files" the process cancels. I have looked all over the internet for information but all I find is offers for...
  6. How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW: I have loads of personal home videos that I have downloaded from Apple icloud. I would like to save them to DVD's as gifts for the family. Each time I click on "Burn files" the process cancels. I have looked all over the internet for information but all I find is offers for...
  7. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.: So, i have this dvd±rw drive which doesnt work with my dvd-rw disc. It has worked previously with the same disc, however now it doesnt work. I have confirmed this disc does work on different drives, however it isnt working on this one drive. It is a Memorex mrx-650le v1. I...
  8. DVD RW Drive E not recognizing formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc

DVD RW Drive E not recognizing formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc: My DVD RW Drive E does not recognize a formatted Verbatim DVD-R Disc that I am trying to burn. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw-drive-e-not-recognizing-formatted-verbatim/64c0442b-a193-4511-9413-3efe8f2858ff
  9. blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner

blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner: I’m running windows 10. In the past I’ve burned slides and videos onto blank DVD –R discs using Explorer and NERO. I’ve also burned slides onto CD-R discs. Now, for no apparent reason, neither of my 2 DVD drives will recognize a blank DVD-R disc. I’ve used blank SONY discs...
  10. DVD-R disc - contents not recognized

DVD-R disc - contents not recognized: I have several DVD discs that were recorded on a standalone DVD recorder and finalized. The content of these discs is non-commercial: home movies transferred from a Mini-DV camcorder. Windows 10 shows the discs as being blank. When viewed in Disc Management, it shows the file...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How do I burn on a DVD-RW in windows media player when the DVD-RW wont accept it?

2. dell external dvd drive not working

3. windows 10 does not reconive blank cd

4. DVD RW drive doesnt see blank DVD-R,
  5. can my dvd drive burn dvd rw discs,
  6. why is t my dvd,
  7. dvd drive wont recognize burnable disc,
  8. windows 10 does not recognize liteon dvd recorder,
  9. Software for burning burning discs does not recogonize the device .,
  10. dvd-r wont read,
  11. computer wont reconize blank cd rw,
  12. i need to format a dvd R,
  13. Win DVD wont recognize DVD,