Windows 10: DVD size

Discus and support DVD size in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Forum Recently I made a DVD using some authoring program. I have 13 mp4 clips, alltogether 611 MB, 1:50 hrs, with some simple menus added, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Motim, May 30, 2016.

1. Motim Win User

DVD size

Hello Forum
    Recently I made a DVD using some authoring program. I have 13 mp4 clips, alltogether 611 MB, 1:50 hrs, with some simple menus added, I ended with a dvd folder size 4.25 GB. How 611 MB "swell" into 4.24 GB ?
    The dvd plays well, I am just interested what made the material become so large ?
    Explanations will be appreciated
    Thanks

:)

Motim, May 30, 2016
  2. GNJha Win User

Making bootable DVD

Hi,

As the standard DVD size is 4.8GB, please guide me how to create a bootable-DVD, if an ISO size is more than DVD size?

Some technician says, it can be done by compressing the ISO file. If it can be done, what tool I need to use?

And in such case, is there any changes in Windows installation with that DVD?

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, May 30, 2016
  3. -=DVD=- Win User
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

So, the Fall Creators Update has been released yesterday, but I haven't even been prompted for the Creators Update yet. My pc is not that old, bought it last summer. I have no idea as to why I'm still running version 1607 or wether it's safe for me to upgrade
    to either one of these newer versions. Will it screw up my drivers if I do? I am running Windows 10 Pro btw.

Any input would be appreciated.

-=DVD=-, May 30, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

DVD size

It depends how you specified the burn process for the DVD. The options are usually to either leave it unclosed so that you could add more files later as if it were a data disk or to finalize the disk to make it act like a DVD. It appears your authoring program chose the latter and so the disk has been set up as a DVD and in this case you can't add additional files and the disk is made to appear full.

philc43, May 30, 2016
  5. mike s Win User
    Authoring a DVD requires that the video streams be compliant with tight specifications.
    MP4 clips are not DVD-video compliant, so your authoring program re-encodes them into MPEG-2 compliant VOB files.
    Depending on the quality, bit rate, and size parameters that its encoder is set to use, the final file size may shrink, grow, or stay the same,.

mike s, May 30, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That is the correct answer.

NavyLCDR, May 30, 2016
  7. RolandJS Win User
    NavyLCDR, thanks for +1'g the correct answer for mike s. I deleted my earlier post 'cause I thought the authoring program was in this case simply being used to make a normal DVD *Smile

RolandJS, May 30, 2016
  8. Motim Win User

DVD size

Hello philc43
    Thanks for the answer \ explanation. I just wanted to know how many clips can I add to make a dvd not to eceeding 4.7 gb disk,
    what I meen is can I make some calculation before starting to make the dvd.
    Thanks again

Motim, Jun 1, 2016
  9. pcgeek11 Win User
    As stated above, it depends on the settings used and the authoring program settings. Most will tell you if the setting exceed the limits.

pcgeek11, Jun 1, 2016
  10. philc43 Win User
    I'm not sure what program you use but most will let you add clips up to the size limit of your DVD and will tell you if you exceed the limit. You can then experiment with different combinations of clips until you are happy before you burn the files to the DVD.

philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

DVD size

1. DVD size - Similar Threads - DVD size

2. Where is my redeemed gift of Windows DVD app from Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is my redeemed gift of Windows DVD app from Microsoft Store: I received a gift of windows dvd app but when I redeemed it, app hasn't downloaded nor can I find it on my computer or in my Microsoft Store or my account. I have relentlessly followed the instructions without success. I have pressed updates in my store account, I have...
  3. Where is my redeemed gift of Windows DVD app from Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is my redeemed gift of Windows DVD app from Microsoft Store: I received a gift of windows dvd app but when I redeemed it, app hasn't downloaded nor can I find it on my computer or in my Microsoft Store or my account. I have relentlessly followed the instructions without success. I have pressed updates in my store account, I have...
  4. does the windows dvd player burn DVDs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does the windows dvd player burn DVDs: i need to be able to copy my home movies that are on dvd to the computer and then burn to new dvds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-the-windows-dvd-player-burn-dvds/701c33f4-4c32-41f4-b3a5-e18488367019
  5. does the windows dvd player burn DVDs

does the windows dvd player burn DVDs: i need to be able to copy my home movies that are on dvd to the computer and then burn to new dvds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-the-windows-dvd-player-burn-dvds/701c33f4-4c32-41f4-b3a5-e18488367019
  6. the DVD player is displaying distorted images How to fix it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the DVD player is displaying distorted images How to fix it?: the DVD player is displaying distorted images How to fix it?***Move from Microsoft 365 and Office / Other / For business / Other*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-dvd-player-is-displaying-distorted-images-how/6ea693bb-98a4-429b-b9bb-263fc47a0c7a
  7. windows 11, Cannot burn Windows Server 2022 onto dvd drive because of small size mismatch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11, Cannot burn Windows Server 2022 onto dvd drive because of small size mismatch: There was a problem burning this discThis disk doesn't have enough free space for all the selected files.Space needed to burn: 4.69GBFree space on disk: 4.38 GBYou should remove files or insert a disk with more available space, and then try again.What is the easiest and...
  8. windows 11, Cannot burn Windows Server 2022 onto dvd drive because of small size mismatch

windows 11, Cannot burn Windows Server 2022 onto dvd drive because of small size mismatch: There was a problem burning this discThis disk doesn't have enough free space for all the selected files.Space needed to burn: 4.69GBFree space on disk: 4.38 GBYou should remove files or insert a disk with more available space, and then try again.What is the easiest and...
  9. size of a dvd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    size of a dvd: I have a dvd ---- its a dvd-9 --- for a total capacity of about 9g -- but the sub of all the files sizes on the disk is over 30g --- how is that possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-of-a-dvd/50dab987-924d-4149-b097-4ca9488ddf25
  10. The cd/dvd drive is able to read a mini cd but cannot read regular size dvd/cds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The cd/dvd drive is able to read a mini cd but cannot read regular size dvd/cds: The dvd/cd drive cannot play movies on regular size dvd/cds. It can read a mini cd/dvd. I think I have tried just about everything except uninstall and install the driver info because I don't know how. All the diagnostics said everything is fine. Is there anything else I can...