Windows 10: DVD - which is the actual side you should clean !!!

Discus and support DVD - which is the actual side you should clean !!! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there I'm ripping some old DVD's to ISO's -- sometimes though with OLD DVD's the Disc stops ripping because it may be dirty etc. So I usually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Mar 31, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

DVD - which is the actual side you should clean !!!

Hi there

I'm ripping some old DVD's to ISO's -- sometimes though with OLD DVD's the Disc stops ripping because it may be dirty etc.

So I usually try to clean with ordinary Water (in Iceland Water is probably about the purest on the planet so no probs there).

I usually try to clean the "Non labelled side" -- on rare cases where this doesn't fix the problem I then try on the Labelled side which usually then works.

So which side of the DVD is actually where the content lies - or being an optical device are the microscopic "holes" cut through the entire Disc so in theory you should clean the entire Disc.

I'm really curious about this !!! -- hopefully though I won't be using many old DVD's any more as once ripped KODI on an amazon fire TV (you need to "Side load it" can play .ISO DVD's including the menus etc without any problems.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 31, 2017

2. Turbo Tax Premier 2016 install issue (Win 10)

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you clicked on the DVD and nothing happens.

If you double click on the dvd in windows explorer it should open showing all the actual files that are on the DVD. Find the file call setup.exe and double click it and this should start the install process which will in turn will create the TurboTax folder.

Hope this helps.

Rick5900UY, Mar 31, 2017
  3. DVD will not play

DAMN!!!

What about the new HP computers with Windows 10? I was thinking about buying a HP computer and there where some that had the CD/DVD portal on the side.

Does anyone have the new HP computers with Windows 10 and a CD/DVD portal on the sides that actually will play DVD's?

Ted_Arnold, Mar 31, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Hi Jimbo,

I found this article very informative. It looks like your disc cleaning logic/approach may be correct:

Disc Structure

Cheers,

5. bobkn Win User
    I don't see that the article you link to (good article, by the way) supports "jimbo45's" logic.

On both CD-R and DVD-R disks, cleaning the label side does nothing. (I suppose that if you had enough crud on the disk to unbalance it, that would give an effect. I hope that no one tries to use disks that are that dirty.)

One major difference between DVDs and CDs is that you can make a CD unreadable if you scratch the label side deeply. (I haven't done that for years. If I want to destroy a CD, I run it through my shredder.) For a DVD, the data layer is completely encapsulated.

If I'm in any way mistaken with this, I welcome corrections.

bobkn, Mar 31, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    DVD - which is the actual side you should clean !!! [​IMG]

7. bobkn Win User
    I have a few old movie DVDs that are double sided. They are generally obvious, because they have no labels. I suppose that it would be possible to make a label that a red DVD laser could read through, but I have never seen one, as far as I know.

None of the recordable media I have ever owned are two-sided. All have opaque labels. This applies to CDs, DVDs, double layer DVDs, BDs (BluRay disks), double layer BDs, and BD XL disks.

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DVD - which is the actual side you should clean !!! - Similar Threads - DVD actual side

2. Which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend?: Hi everyone, which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend? I'm using Wise Registry Cleaner FREE. Do you recommend anything else? Which is the absolute best free or commercial? And which is instead the best free?Thanks in advance....
  3. Which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend?: Hi everyone, which utility for registry cleaning/maintenance do you recommend? I'm using Wise Registry Cleaner FREE. Do you recommend anything else? Which is the absolute best free or commercial? And which is instead the best free?Thanks in advance....
  4. Which is better for a Windows 11: a DVD+R or a DVD-R

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which is better for a Windows 11: a DVD+R or a DVD-R: I have a question:Which one is better for a Windows 11 Pro, a DVD+R or a DVD-R? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-is-better-for-a-windows-11-a-dvdr-or-a-dvd-r/fbe2e7ae-1ee4-43a1-84ee-451ff9f9e097
  5. Which is better for a Windows 11: a DVD+R or a DVD-R

Which is better for a Windows 11: a DVD+R or a DVD-R: I have a question:Which one is better for a Windows 11 Pro, a DVD+R or a DVD-R? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-is-better-for-a-windows-11-a-dvdr-or-a-dvd-r/fbe2e7ae-1ee4-43a1-84ee-451ff9f9e097
  6. Which CD/DVD should I use for creating the system repair disc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which CD/DVD should I use for creating the system repair disc: Hi. I am having windows 10. So i have upgraded windows 10 4 days ago from Windows 8.1 . So i had backuped my data. So for restoring it is asking for creating system repair disc. So which cd should i use for this. And how much gb cd will it need. Please reply this message...
  7. Actual extent of security and firewall rules out side margins

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Actual extent of security and firewall rules out side margins: I wanted to find out. I am using a program that relies on a section of a dll. It's a program specific amtlib.dll. What is the extend of this program. Does anyone have any idea if such files ever allowed intrusions into the computer with that program association. I just wanted...
  8. Which Windows 10 version should I use for Clean Install ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which Windows 10 version should I use for Clean Install ?: I am fed up with my computer's performance decreasing as new updates are installed. So I plan to do a clean install. Which build version of Windows 10 should I use? submitted by /u/AERegeneratel38 [link] [comments]...
  9. Which Data Should Go no Which Drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which Data Should Go no Which Drive?: I have a 1TB Hard Drive and a 512GB SSD. How do I make it so Windows boots up on my SSD, and what are your recommendations on what should go on my SSD, and what should go on my Hard Drive? I’m new to PC gaming, so I would appreciate all of your help. (Edit: sorry about title,...
  10. DVD player app that's safe, and actually works (Windows DVD player doesn't)

DVD player app that's safe, and actually works (Windows DVD player doesn't): Do you recommend a DVD player app for Windows 10? I bought the Windows DVD app, but it does not work! Reading reviews, apparently others have issues with it. I'm hesitant to try the free ones out there, as I don't want malware. Any better suggestions? thanks....