Windows 10: DVD will not play

Discus and support DVD will not play in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an ASUS 501ux laptop with Windows 10. It doesn't have an internal DVD player. I purchased an external USB3 DVD drive but the laptop needs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WilliamP, May 28, 2016.

1. WilliamP Win User

DVD will not play

I have an ASUS 501ux laptop with Windows 10. It doesn't have an internal DVD player. I purchased an external USB3 DVD drive but the laptop needs something to play the DVD. It won't open the DVD. What do I need?

:)

WilliamP, May 28, 2016

2. D drive will not play a DVD but will play a cd

Andre,

Thanks again, and I will let you know it the problem just happens to go away. DVD  will not play :)

Fred

Fred Davis Jr, May 28, 2016
  3. D drive will not play a DVD but will play a cd

Well, if its been more than 10 days since you upgraded, you would have to downgrade manually. I suspect you are experiencing a compatibility issue with Windows 10 1709.

Andre Da Costa, May 28, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

DVD will not play

I don't have an answer for you.
    Just want to remind you that you have posted this question on Windows 10 forum and your system spec says you are running an XP.
    So, please don't get perturbed if you don't receive many replies, if any at all.
    I never had an XP, so, I definitely cannot help you.

Good luck.

davidhk, May 29, 2016
  5. WilliamP Win User
    The Laptop I was asking about is Windows 10. This is one of my desktops.

WilliamP, May 29, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Windows 10 does not have a built-in program to play DVDs anymore. Microsoft took that feature away.
    Windows media Player will play audio and video files, but not DVDs.

You will need to install a 3rd party program to do that.
    There are many excellent choices from the web.
    The most well known, and perhaps the best choice, is VLC Media Player.
    It is free.
    I use that to play DVDs.
    Download official VLC media player for Windows - VideoLAN

davidhk, May 29, 2016
  7. WilliamP Win User
    Thank you David. Can it be configure to start when you click on your dvd drive to open or play?

WilliamP, May 29, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

DVD will not play

Go to AutoPlay and set VLC to play DVDs.

Right click at Start > Control Panel > top right click View by > large or small > AutoPlay > see my screenshot > Save when done.

DVD  will not play [​IMG]

davidhk, May 29, 2016
  9. WilliamP Win User
    David you are a champ. That works great.

WilliamP, May 29, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Wonderful.
    Happy computing.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

DVD will not play

1. DVD will not play - Similar Threads - DVD play

2. which software is best to play DVD on external drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    which software is best to play DVD on external drive?: Using a Lenovo i5 laptop, which is a little over one year old, running windows 11 Home. The external DVD drive is from Lenovo but it seems to want me to buy software in order to play the disc. Lenovo wants $69 to make it play, good for 30 days only. Which software would you...
  3. which software is best to play DVD on external drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    which software is best to play DVD on external drive?: Using a Lenovo i5 laptop, which is a little over one year old, running windows 11 Home. The external DVD drive is from Lenovo but it seems to want me to buy software in order to play the disc. Lenovo wants $69 to make it play, good for 30 days only. Which software would you...
  4. I can't understand how to play a DVD on my computer. I was told it was free. I paid...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't understand how to play a DVD on my computer. I was told it was free. I paid...: I was told by Microsoft that DVDs could be played for free on my computer. I paid $15 for an app to play DVDs on my computer in addition. I still don't have the slightest idea of how to make the DVD in my computer right now play!...
  5. I can't understand how to play a DVD on my computer. I was told it was free. I paid...

I can't understand how to play a DVD on my computer. I was told it was free. I paid...: I was told by Microsoft that DVDs could be played for free on my computer. I paid $15 for an app to play DVDs on my computer in addition. I still don't have the slightest idea of how to make the DVD in my computer right now play!...
  6. I can't understand how to play a DVD on my computer. I was told it was free. I paid...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. dvd not playing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dvd not playing: hello my hp pc isnt letting me sse the dvd it says for ,e to upgredw to a new dvd sytem but its charging me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-not-playing/ef26426c-ae77-4b4f-975f-a21337f84361
  8. dvd not playing

dvd not playing: hello my hp pc isnt letting me sse the dvd it says for ,e to upgredw to a new dvd sytem but its charging me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-not-playing/ef26426c-ae77-4b4f-975f-a21337f84361
  9. How can I play a DVD rom PC game from 2008 on windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I play a DVD rom PC game from 2008 on windows 11?: Hi! So I've had this game called Barbie Horse Adventures Riding Camp since I was a little girl for PC and was obsessed with it. Recently I bought a copy of it to play again, but it just doesn't run on my Windows 11 computer. I've tried everything; compatibility mode, using a...
  10. How can I play a DVD rom PC game from 2008 on windows 11?

How can I play a DVD rom PC game from 2008 on windows 11?: Hi! So I've had this game called Barbie Horse Adventures Riding Camp since I was a little girl for PC and was obsessed with it. Recently I bought a copy of it to play again, but it just doesn't run on my Windows 11 computer. I've tried everything; compatibility mode, using a...