Windows 10: DVD writer not recognised

Discus and support DVD writer not recognised in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My laptop DVD writer showed as such in device manager, but in Windows it only showed as a CD drive and would not recognise DVDs On the advice of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by reddwarf4ever, Feb 23, 2017.

1. DVD writer not recognised

My laptop DVD writer showed as such in device manager, but in Windows it only showed as a CD drive and would not recognise DVDs
    On the advice of a friend, I deleted the CD registry key, in the belief that are a reboot it would go back to normal.

unfortunaely it's not showing Anywhere now !!

dont know wha to do, need some advice please..

thanks
    UPDATE
    just tried this from 'tenforum'
    A fix that has worked for many people is to go in Device Manager and under "IDE ATA/Atapi controllers", delete both the channel 0 and channel 1 entries by uninstalling them. Then reboot the computer.

So so now I have a. CD Drive again, but not my original DVD writer...in Windows and just found an unknown device in device manager CD-ROM drive

:)

reddwarf4ever, Feb 23, 2017

2. Windows 10 doesn't recognise PC CD/DVD Rom as well as external CD/DVD writer

Yes they do.I tried to delete them,and then restarted PC.After that "Transcend -writer" is OK,but CD/DVD Rom is still not recognised.

vasomenzalin, Feb 23, 2017
  3. Kalsra01 Win User
    DVD writer not recognising any discs

I have installed Win 10 and after a couple of weeks when I have tried to burn a DVD, the discs which I normally use are not recognised. I have tried different brands as well.

I have two burners in my desktop

Optiarc DVD RW AD-5240S

Samsung DVDWBD SH-B083L

Problem 1

The Optiarc will not recognise anything.

I have tried to update the driver via the 'device manager' but it says its up to date.

But it shows the driver date as 21-Jun-06, version 10.0.10240.16384.

Problem 2

The Samsung is no longer visible - the pc does even recognise this one.

I'm afraid I am not techi so I can't provide anything more useful?

Kalsra01, Feb 23, 2017
  4. DVD writer not recognised

Hi reddwarf4ever

Any chance you have a restore point from before you took advice and deleted CD registry key?

For the unknown device, right click in device manager, click properties, on details tab change the info line to hardware id's. The first line in the display window should be googled. I'm thinking this has to do with your deletion.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 24, 2017
  5. Did a lot of research and found a registry fix, plus a file to add the entries for me, I now have my DVD writer back in Windows, strange thing is though, that in device manager it's called a USB 2.0 device, uninstalled and did find new hardware and came back the same, think the registry fix, named the DVD writer as such, will search the registry and see if I can find it, although it works....had three other devices with yellow exclamation marks, one was coprocessor, can't remember the other two, but using the hardware ID the first two ( identical) entries were Ricoh card reader, so that's fixed, the coprocessor had something to do with nvidia, also now fixed.
    its disappointing that HP have now deleted all the drivers for my HP pavilion notebook entertainment version, they say it's too old.
    makes it very difficult to find drivers. Now my laptop is all ok, have backed all drivers with driver genius, so have them for the future if needed.

reddwarf4ever, Feb 24, 2017
  6. Turned on the laptop this morning and windows showing CD drive only and Nothing in device manager...
    The USB 2 in device manager was an external drive i had plugged in NOT my DVDRW
    So still need some help please

7. Well these problems certainly allow us to develop our Googling skills.

While device manager says cd have you tried placing a dvd in tray to see if it will read. Better yet can you burn a dvd, say an ISO.

Caledon Ken, Feb 24, 2017
  8. DVD writer not recognised

Yes spent ages and ages, searching through all the rubbish....occaisonly getting something helpful..

no it does not recognise dvds etc etc.....
    thanks

9. So do you have a restore point that takes you all the back to before the registry changes?

It might be worth going back and then trying IDE ATA/Atapi controllers.

You might even look to see if there are firmware updates for your dvd.

Interesting that Window sees it so wrong. I wonder if the BIOS is somehow involved. What does your BIOS see it as? It should identify the device almost my name. You know what I mean.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 25, 2017
  10. kipper Win User
    Back in the early 2000s when I was reviewing CD/DVD and later Blu-ray burners for CDFreaks.com I found that in most cases problems like yours were caused by upper filters that get installed with some burning programs.....

The easiest way to clear the Registry of these problematic filters is with a program called ImgBurn which can be downloaded from MajorGeeks........this download from them is free from OpenCandy and is 100% virus free.....

Once you have ImgBurn installed....open it up and under the "Tools" menu you will see "Filter Driver Load Order" click on this and then in the next window if you see any Upper Filters listed, highlight them and then click on "Remove Selected Filter" button at the bottom of this window.......Close the software and reboot your system.......if it is or was a Filter Problem you will find your Drive will be listed correctly after you reboot.....

Hope this helps

kipper, Feb 25, 2017
  11. I do not have any restore points and checked for upper lower filters and there weren't any....
    have made an image of my HDD then plan to reinstall Windows 10, could I then back up the relevant registry entrie for the DVD drive and merge later when I restore the backed up image, does that sound a good plan ?

also by installing windows 10 fresh I will find out if there are any hardware issues or not

reddwarf4ever, Feb 25, 2017
  12. Tried a couple of sites for imgburn....one even looked like the developers site, so so many download buttons and adverts which looked like a download link, bit f a nightmare..

went to major geeks reeks and got it instantly...thanks

13. DVD writer not recognised

UPDATE
    dont know why but the DVD writer is showing as CD drive in windows but does recognise a DVD
    In device manager it only shows as Unknown CD rom drive......so I assume it's not a hardware problem...
    how do I get this back to normal, please...imgburn said there were no filters.
    UPDATE 2
    i uninstalled the unknown drive then scanned for hardware changes, no difference
    after I ejected the DVD the drive now shows in windows as a DVD RW Drive ???
    but still shows as unknown in device manager...

14. kipper Win User
    OK........the next possibility is your IDE/ATAPI Controllers could be corrupted......

Open up "Device Manager".........and select the "View menu"........... Choose Show Hidden Devices.

Expand IDE/ATAPI Controllers, and then:

Select all listed controllers, Right Click and select Uninstall.....

Reboot the device.

Windows will reinstall the correct drivers for your controllers upon the Reboot.......

If your problem is not solved, we will move on to the next possibility........

kipper, Feb 25, 2017
  15. Will try this idea....soon.....but first, I have reinstalled windows 10, can I then copy the registry entries for HDD and DVDRW, assuming it's now ok in device manager and then restore from my image and merge these registry items.....maybe that would work..

thanks

Thema:

DVD writer not recognised

1. DVD writer not recognised - Similar Threads - DVD writer recognised

2. Windows 10 pro not recognising my USB CD/DVD writer as a burning device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 pro not recognising my USB CD/DVD writer as a burning device: I connected my new DVD/CD ROM read/writer USB device model TEAC DV-28E-V USB Device ..and Windows 10 will not recognise it as a burner....apps used to try and burn included Windows media player / Itunes / CDBurnerXP and NONE of them recognise this drive as a burner. The...
  3. External cd/dvd writer

External cd/dvd writer: I purchased a Verbatim Slimline cd/dvd writer and cannot get it installed on my Dell laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-cddvd-writer/9b9479f9-7f37-419a-b192-df4925cbc8a9
  4. External DVD writer

External DVD writer: I have a Samsung external DVD writer model SE-S084 connected on my system and I can't write to a cd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-dvd-writer/0c0230c0-a010-4549-80e3-cf214bd71676
  5. DVD Writer

DVD Writer: I bought DVD+R to burn files to with my DVD Writer and the disks are unusable. What is the proper type DVD Disks to use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-writer/291ebd36-15de-49be-9aee-7cf30dca0515
  6. DVD does not recognise cd's or dvd's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD does not recognise cd's or dvd's: I have an asus laptop (ROG Gamer) with windows 10 and cd's nor dvd's can be recognized from the dvd drive, also windows media player does not show it, can someone help me?...
  7. portable / external DVD drive / writer?

portable / external DVD drive / writer?: Most of them are ranged from 20 to 30 US dollars on Amazon. Are they practically the same quality build and the only difference is the writing speed /reading speed etc?And there is no critical difference? btw, which brand do you recommend? 119820
  8. External DVD reader/writer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External DVD reader/writer: After the last windows update, windows does not start any external DVD reader/writer, which always worked. Device manager gives code 19. Rolled back but problem persists. Drives work fine when connected to other desktop, laptop etc....
  9. DVD Writer

DVD Writer: I recently had to buy a new laptop. It is a very nice Asus but doesn't have the CD drive I had in my old computer. I was sold a DVD Writer. Can I play my music CD's on this Writer?...
  10. DVD/cd writer cycling

DVD/cd writer cycling: I run W8.1 and 10130 on the same desktop. They are on separate SSD's and only plugged in one at a time. When 10130 is in and idle, the DVD/CD will cycle meaning it tries to do a read. Last's about 5 seconds and repeats every 3 minutes. The tray is empty. W8.1 does not repeat...