Windows 10: DVDRW showing as CD-ROM in laptop not booting from disks

Discus and support DVDRW showing as CD-ROM in laptop not booting from disks in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a true image 2017 and just created a bootable DVD from within the program. I changed my PC to boot from DVDRW first and it works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by reddwarf4ever, Sep 21, 2016.

1. DVDRW showing as CD-ROM in laptop not booting from disks

I have a true image 2017 and just created a bootable DVD from within the program.

I changed my PC to boot from DVDRW first and it works perfectly....however my laptop refuses to boot from the same disk(s) I have set the bios to boot from CD/DVD drive first and also pressing F9 to get the boot menu and choosing DVDRW still results it booting into Windows....

Just tried a couple more DVDs which should boot, but same issue...

It's an HP pavilion DV6700, wondered if anyone has any ideas

PS the only thing Imhave done recently is replace the HDD with an SSD
    Thanks
    update just noticed that DVD driver looks OK in device manager, but in Windows just days cd ROM and not opening recognising any disks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Sep 21, 2016

2. Windows 10 doesn't recognize my External Hard Drive

No it is showing hp DVDRW DU8A6SH under DVD/CD-Rom drives. There is nothing to indicate that the drive is even connected, and I checked them all.

MarkLagermann, Sep 21, 2016
  3. GraceReis Win User
    Optiarc Dvdrw Ad-7580S not recognized as dvdrw after install of windows 10 on my acer aspire 7741

I installed windows 10, now my dvdrw drive went from that to just a cd rom drive,, I am running an Acer Aspire 7741Z and the dvdrw drive is Optiarc Dvdrw Ad-7580S , thank you for any help you can give.

GraceReis, Sep 21, 2016
  4. DVDRW showing as CD-ROM in laptop not booting from disks

Any ideas please....need to resolve this asap

reddwarf4ever, Sep 21, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    If the laptop is in a detachable bay, you might try powering the laptop down, then removing the CD bay. Restart the PC and let it boot into windows, then go into Device Manager, View, Show hidden items, and delete all drivers related to the CD/DVD player. Shut down, reinsert the device, then let Windows go through device enumeration and download a new driver for itself. This will replace your current drivers with new copies and may fix your problem.
    Good luck!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Sep 21, 2016
  6. Adalwar Win User
    You may need to Disable Secure Boot in your BIOS

Adalwar, Sep 21, 2016
  7. Will have a look, but not sure where that is in the bios.....
    Update.....I did a clean install of windows 10 to see if the problem was hardware related......all was fine after the clean install...#
    then i restored the previous from an image and unbelievably the DVDRW is now displaying ok.....cant see how that can be...I deleted the partition before the clean install and the acronis true image restore should have overwritten anything...any ideas please ?

reddwarf4ever, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

DVDRW showing as CD-ROM in laptop not booting from disks

1. DVDRW showing as CD-ROM in laptop not booting from disks - Similar Threads - DVDRW showing ROM

2. cd rom

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cd rom: I have tried every suggestion on how to get windows 10 to recognize my cd drive,but nothing works. Is there any way to have microsoft correct this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom/24c94139-11c5-4287-baff-1155b368f717
  3. cd rom

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cd rom: I have tried every suggestion on how to get windows 10 to recognize my cd drive,but nothing works. Is there any way to have microsoft correct this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom/24c94139-11c5-4287-baff-1155b368f717
  4. Recovery from a CD Rom

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery from a CD Rom: I would like some help on how to recover lost files from a CD disc? Its a disc with my MRI on it and I think I may have reformatted the disc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-from-a-cd-rom/ffea708b-7e80-410e-8de2-6429174979a7
  5. CD ROM changes into local disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD ROM changes into local disk: hello, I'm facing a problem in windows 10 , my CD ROM drive changes into Local Disk , I mean to say that my cd rom drive is now showing Local disk G . plz help me fix this problem .[ATTACH]...
  6. DVD rom showing as cd rom

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DVD rom showing as cd rom: submitted by /u/smoka1711 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lwffrd/dvd_rom_showing_as_cd_rom/
  7. CD Rom

CD Rom: I cannot open any of my word documents since I purchase a new office 365 can you help please. The message is saying there might be something wrong with my CD Rom drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom/d4ad6025-8f38-4e94-9fb8-8e23ccacea88
  8. CD Rom

CD Rom: I have a Lenovo laptop which is running off of Windows 10. I updated my computer some tome ago where ever since, I cannot play any DVD's. I have tried to diagnose the problem for months now and I am at a loss. My driver says that it is working properly and is up to date,...
  9. Boot, reboot possible only by CD ROM repair disk.

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot, reboot possible only by CD ROM repair disk.: C drive was moved to Disk 1 during MS assisted reinstall of W10 Pro 64 bit. Now corrupted? No restart. Move back to 0 drive? 0 drive is SSD and where I would like my boot file and such. When MS guided me through repair/custom install by first making a USB/HDD repair drive I...
  10. CD Rom

CD Rom: The D drive (CD Rom) appears in the explorer but I can't have it display the info on the disc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom/4810c955-de87-4f6c-8106-7ede083218d8