Windows 10: dwm.exe seems to be crashing my computer

Discus and support dwm.exe seems to be crashing my computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, let me start from the beginning. About a month ago I upgraded my PC with new parts and it ran fine for about 2 weeks, and then suddenly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Eneswar, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Eneswar Win User

dwm.exe seems to be crashing my computer

Hey guys, let me start from the beginning.

About a month ago I upgraded my PC with new parts and it ran fine for about 2 weeks, and then suddenly the both monitors would go black, flash for about 2 seconds and take me back to the log in screen. When I log back in, every program I had open has been closed and my second monitor is no longer being recognized and I have to reboot. If you are familiar with the "graphics card drivers has stopped working" process, thats exactly how it looked like, and it even has that USB sound thing, except it logs me out and closes all programs down.

I did not think much of it and nothing else happened for about a week and it happened again, and again, this time more frequently, so far about 3 times this week. This even happens during usage, like while im playing a game or browse the internet.

This just happened again, and every time this happens, I check the Event Manager and the same error shows up. This time however it never took me back to the log in screen, instead it just outright froze my computer during the black screen and I had to force reboot.

Things I have done: I ran memtest for about 3 hours, nothing came out of it, safe to say its not memory related. Completely uninstalled graphic drivers in safe mode and reinstalled it. All this I assume its something to do with the graphics. I have not done a format (I reinstalled windows 10 clean when I set up this new computer).

Screenshot of the Device manager:

dwm.exe seems to be crashing my computer [​IMG]

Is that icon in the Graphics card supose to be there?

Event Manager:

dwm.exe seems to be crashing my computer [​IMG]

I got this graphics card this year so its relatively new. I never had this issue on my older computer that I had this graphics card in for 5 months maybe? It only started in this new setup about a few weeks in.

I very much would love some support on this matter. Thank you for reading.

Edit: I forgot to mention, as of right now Im running "sfc /scannow" to check if it gives any error for dwmcore.dll.

Edit 2: The "sfc /scannow" finished and i got this message:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

The log is super long, a quick search found nothing about dwm, do you want me to pastebin the log?

Edit 3: I have not updated to the Anniversary Update yet, do you think that might fix it by fixing the files, if its related to that?

:)

Eneswar, Aug 26, 2016

2. Windows 10 dwm.exe errors

• Insider Preview is not installed.
    • Microsoft Security Essentials is the only antivirus installed.
    • I have done extensive troubleshooting to determine a specific desktop program a cause and could not identify a specific program causing the dwm.exe crash.
      • There is an ongoing explorer.exe crash caused by iCloud when the user shuts down or signs out. I believe Google Drive causes a similar explorer.exe crash but the explorer.exe crashes were more frequent back with Windows 8.
    Before the 1511 update I the computer was always very stable and when I noticed the dwm.exe breaking the start menu and all of the unified Windows interface components I tested with an image I created before the 1511 update and found no problems. I
    went back and forth trying to determine what in the upgrade process wasn't working or what program could have been causing this bug by uninstalling most of my third party programs before upgrading to 1511 yet the dwm.exe crash still occurred.

• The crashes also seem to correlate with when Windows is indexing.
    • The dwm.exe stopped working event sometimes coincides with a “ShellExperienceHost.exe Stopped responding and was closed” event.

bmxjumperc, Aug 26, 2016
  3. dwm.exe keeps crashing on startup

Help please. Dwm.exe keep crashing on startup to the point i keep getting taken back to the login screen, or my computer will freeze completely. I've tried numerous fixes already and nothing has permanently fixed the issue. I can only seem to start up
    in the 'enable boot logging' option, safe mode doesn't work for me. At first I thought it was my graphics card, I've tried disabling, updating and rolling it back. I've removed my anti virus as I read someone had this causing the issue. The weird thing
    is that some of the things I've tried have seem to have worked on a restart, until I restart again and it just goes back to crashing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x982d0cc7

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0x8898009b

Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000

Faulting process id: 0x31ac

Faulting application start time: 0x01d3195be35f983b

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 1633ad6d-d25d-40e4-b7e2-da0af1c8c8cf

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Laurie_Giles, Aug 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

I'll just comment on this: many have a variety of new problems you don't want after the upgrade, widely reported if you search. MS is working on some of these.

As you have Pro, defer the upgrade for now.

I don't know what disk you have, but to deal with basics, do this please:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

Look at your cbs.log - you may see failures related to opencl.dll - this is a long-standing bug.

If you have other errors, please quote a sample. Look for 'error' or 'failed' not dwm. Some recommend running sfc /scannow a couple of times more before proceeding with further recovery methods (DISM command and in-place upgrade repair install).

dalchina, Aug 26, 2016
  5. Eneswar Win User
    Hey man thanks for the reply. Sorry I should had added my disks, My windows are on an SSD, does the chkdsk work on SSDs?

What I have done since my last edit: Updated to Anniverysary Update, seems to be going fine so far.
    Checked for BIOS drivers, I was a few versions behind, updated all that to latest, some of the changelogs improved the PCI graphic card slot I believe, that might fix it im not sure. I guess I will report back if it happens again. I will wait for a clean windows 10 if it happens again.

Thats all the errors I had, if you look at the screenshot I linked in the OP. The previous ones below the dwm ones were hours before that, doesnt seem related.

Eneswar, Aug 27, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, your new copy of Windows should mean sfc /scannow should pass, of course, except maybe for opencl.dll.

Chkdsk is a check on file system structure so whilst failure mechanisms based on hardware will be entirely different, and likely to be less probable I'd have thought on SSD, still worthwhile. And much faster than with a HDD of course.

Good you've updated the BIOS- a very few people have found that an issue with the upgrade.

Assuming you've got a working situation, now's the time to consolidate and start using disk imaging routinely, if you haven't already.

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  7. Eneswar Win User
    Yea all my important stuff are being backed up so im good on that front.
    I will run the sfc scan and chkdsk and see how that goes. Hopefully it has fixed itself.

Thanks

Edit: sfc scan finished with no error, unlike the last time. Looking good!

Eneswar, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. dwm.exe seems to be crashing my computer - Similar Threads - dwm exe seems

2. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  3. Dwm crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dwm crash: My dwm is crashing I keep getting bro brought back to the login in right away every time can’t seem to get around it what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-crash/7857facb-6917-495d-ad81-5e1c773106d9
  4. Dwm crash with black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm crash with black screen: Looking for assistance with DWM crash using windows 10 latest updatesSeems like most troubleshooting I could find was "Hardware" related i.e. loose power cable. this does not apply to my setup as it has been checked with no issues. I have tried all of these settings in...
  5. DWM keeps on crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DWM keeps on crashing: It's been happening for a few days..but now the intensity has increased. Earlier, I didn't know why it happened but today a pop-up came and told me that dwm is crashing. I have windows 11Please help me with this....
  6. DWM keeps on crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DWM keeps on crashing: It's been happening for a few days..but now the intensity has increased. Earlier, I didn't know why it happened but today a pop-up came and told me that dwm is crashing. I have windows 11Please help me with this....
  7. dwm exe taking too much ram

dwm exe taking too much ram: so, ive had this problem few weeks ago, and it annoys me because i had to restart almost everyday. hope someone could help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwm-exe-taking-too-much-ram/e8a7fb6d-a9c2-4c4a-b2e4-c6a4376104bf
  8. Dwm crashing

Dwm crashing: Hi. I've been just using my computer pretty generally playing games and such and this program DWM.exe crashes very often especially when opening an application I beleive higher resolutions do make the issue worse but it's been happening more and more often and I'm afraid my...
  9. DWM crashing, computer loses connection to monitor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DWM crashing, computer loses connection to monitor.: I've been having this issue since a while back, it started August 6th or 7th I think. Whenever I try to play 3D games (that previously worked fine), the framerate starts dropping and eventually the monitor just disconnects from the computer. Everything else keeps working...
  10. It seems my computer is crashing

It seems my computer is crashing: Hi, My computer gave me a blue screen once when I was using it. And the other time, I woke up and saw that the computer had restarted, so I am assuming the computer crashed. There was no updates that were done. What could be wrong?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. app crash C:\Windows\System32\dwm.exe Exception Code: e0464645

2. exception code: 0x8898009b dwm.exe