Windows 10: DWM extreme GPU usage.

Discus and support DWM extreme GPU usage. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For example when I move a chrome tab on my desktop the DWM will take up literally 40-80% of my gpu. It sometimes even closes out all tabs and sometimes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Chandler Hansen, Dec 3, 2023.

1. DWM extreme GPU usage.

For example when I move a chrome tab on my desktop the DWM will take up literally 40-80% of my gpu. It sometimes even closes out all tabs and sometimes crashes my whole computer and blue screens me. It’s not malware, drivers, or my graphics card. I’ve tried with different cards and it will do the same thing. I freshly reset my pc and it still does it. I’ve disabled hardware acceleration and nothing is working. I literally can’t use my pc until I get this fixed. Please help. I have a i9 9900kf RTX 4070

:)

Chandler Hansen, Dec 3, 2023

2. Desktop Windows Manager(DWM) consuming more ram usage

Hey, i have tried all the troubleshooting steps suggested by you to toubleshoot DWM ram usage issue, but still the problem persist and I just close the DWM in task manager, but this is not permant solution I found, because I need to perform same task for every start. Is there any permant solution to this problem apart from the above ?

SidhanthB H, Dec 3, 2023
  3. Alex Sinn Win User
    Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike

Recently after performing a windows update on my laptop ("Custom" Origin PC) the DWM GPU usage spiked to near 100% all the time. Did some research and checked for malware and those other things but nothing worked. I then accidentally unplugged my second monitor (ACER SB220Q) and the DWM returned to a normalized usage. Why?

DWM extreme GPU usage. u1D0tPvn33i%2f26HSXQ0xw%2fhFIH0kSUTes3ugi5Pgg9WHzNg3hLnqZVybn5WmY4KcCW5I%2bMF7NXKMKkjfiZVufhc%3d.png

Alex Sinn, Dec 3, 2023
  4. JimCol69 Win User

DWM extreme GPU usage.

Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage in Windows 10

Tried your registry trick long ago, back when you posted it, and it did nothing for the DWM problem on any of the computers the lab or my office.

DWM still unexplainably begin to occasionally work over the GPU in the back ground regardless of running or not running any Programs/Apps. No noticeable patterns to link the problem to any Program/App or activity.

As for DWM using GPU when play vids, yes very much expected. But after closing Vid program I would also expect DWM usage of GPU to go back down to under 5%, instead of increasing GPU usage to over 50%.

Tried just about every tweak and trick here to get DWM to stay normal (under 5% GPU usage with 20% spikes), but randomly DWM usage of GPU jumps up to 25% to 60% with spikes of 100% regardless of running any program “or” starting up computer letting it idle
    while I go work in studio lab.

Only thing that helps is saving any work and closing any programs I was using (If I was running anything), than cold reboot Windows OS to get DWM usage of GPU down.

The DWM problem is so bad and gave up on Microsoft even caring to about our problem. I installed a 2nd Hard Drive with windows 7 OS (using Mother Board Bios to switch which OS hard drive will Boot) to run all important work without having to occasionally
    save and cold reboot system.

JimCol69, Dec 3, 2023
Thema:

DWM extreme GPU usage.

1. DWM extreme GPU usage. - Similar Threads - DWM extreme GPU

2. DWM extreme GPU usage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DWM extreme GPU usage.: For example when I move a chrome tab on my desktop the DWM will take up literally 40-80% of my gpu. It sometimes even closes out all tabs and sometimes crashes my whole computer and blue screens me. It’s not malware, drivers, or my graphics card. I’ve tried with different...
  3. DWM extreme GPU usage.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DWM extreme GPU usage.: For example when I move a chrome tab on my desktop the DWM will take up literally 40-80% of my gpu. It sometimes even closes out all tabs and sometimes crashes my whole computer and blue screens me. It’s not malware, drivers, or my graphics card. I’ve tried with different...
  4. Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike: Recently after performing a windows update on my laptop "Custom" Origin PC the DWM GPU usage spiked to near 100% all the time. Did some research and checked for malware and those other things but nothing worked. I then accidentally unplugged my second monitor ACER SB220Q and...
  5. Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike

Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike: Recently after performing a windows update on my laptop "Custom" Origin PC the DWM GPU usage spiked to near 100% all the time. Did some research and checked for malware and those other things but nothing worked. I then accidentally unplugged my second monitor ACER SB220Q and...
  6. Secondary monitor is causing DWM GPU usage spike

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. DWM Extreme ram usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DWM Extreme ram usage: I've already checked a lot of FAQs, threads for this issue, asking to user to update drivers or reset their PCs, making new user account.I tried them, didn't help. I want a simple guide or a script to prevent dwm from using more than 2GB of ramreached7.9GBs before it crashed...
  8. DWM Extreme ram usage

DWM Extreme ram usage: I've already checked a lot of FAQs, threads for this issue, asking to user to update drivers or reset their PCs, making new user account.I tried them, didn't help. I want a simple guide or a script to prevent dwm from using more than 2GB of ramreached7.9GBs before it crashed...
  9. Desktop Windows Manager extreme GPU usage

Desktop Windows Manager extreme GPU usage: Hello,As is the case for many people, I started having problems with Desktop Windows Manager dwm.exe using 70%+ of my GPU, slowing down my computer to the point where it is barely usable.No malware was found after scanning with Malwarebytes,the screensaver and window...
  10. Desktop Windows Manager extreme GPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Windows Manager extreme GPU usage: Hello,As is the case for many people, I started having problems with Desktop Windows Manager dwm.exe using 70%+ of my GPU, slowing down my computer to the point where it is barely usable.No malware was found after scanning with Malwarebytes,the screensaver and window...