Windows 10: E:\Temp folder keeps vanishing after last update

Discus and support E:\Temp folder keeps vanishing after last update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have 3 physical drives in my PC. C and D are OS partitions on my SSD, E and F are seperate 4TB HDDs. I have a folder on the E drive named Temp... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sqrly, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Sqrly Win User

E:\Temp folder keeps vanishing after last update

I have 3 physical drives in my PC. C and D are OS partitions on my SSD, E and F are seperate 4TB HDDs.

I have a folder on the E drive named Temp that I use for just that, files that won't stay there after I do whatever it is I need to do to them.

I've had this folder since before I installed win 10. Since the last update this folder keeps vanishing, whether it is empty or not.

I just recreated it and disabled inheritance, which removed all permissions. Then I went back and added only my username and gave it full control. I then turned on replace child permissions with inheritable entries from this object.

Hopefully this will stop it from vanishing but WTF, this shouldn't be happening. Is anyone else having this issue?

:)

Sqrly, Sep 16, 2017
  2. Sqrly Win User

Will a volatile Temp folder affect Windows update?

I have a 2GB NTFS Ramdrive setup on my PC. (Drive BE:\Temp folder keeps vanishing after last update :)

I have a scheduled task that runs when I logon (I am the sole user) that creates the folder "B:\Temp".

I have set my user variables to:

TEMP = B:\Temp

TMP = B:\Temp

I have also set my system variables to:

TEMP = B:\Temp

TMP = B:\Temp

I also have a E:\Temp for programs like Winrar that sometimes need a larger temp folder to work with.

When ever I "restart" (not wake) my PC the temp folder vanishes along with it's contents as it is located in volatile RAM.

Can this cause issues with windows updates?

I've already learned (the hard way) that I must reset the tmp/temp variables to default and disable the ramdrive before updating MSI Command Center (the program I use to create and manage the ramdrive).

Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1703 Build 15063.483

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

Sqrly, Sep 16, 2017
  3. ActSync 4.5 cannot sync favorites

JoeDun wrote:

Jack - After my last reply to you, I located the Mobile Favorites folder, moved everything to a Temp folder, and then one by one moved my Favorites folders back into the Mobile Favorites folder. Each time ActSync synchornized without a problem. So, problem
    solved! (Who knows the cause!). Thanks, -Joe

Joe, keep us updated if the issue reoccurs. Thaks so much for getting back with the resolution .... I hope it stays solid!!

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Sep 16, 2017
  4. Sqrly Win User

OK, it happened again.

Yesterday I put a a sub folder in E:\Temp with 5 gb of videos files in it I needed to remix and rename.

Today the folder is gone and the permissions on the E:\Temp have changed, re-enabling the inheritance I had disabled *Sad

Sqrly, Sep 18, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    First impression is that you probably should not call it Temp. Windows may see that as a valid system temp folder and mess with it. Without digging further, that would be my first guess. I do not have a ready reason for you why it would do that, just that the name temp is used by the system all over the place in different system folders.

If it's just for your temporary use, try calling it something else simple, My_Temp.

f14tomcat, Sep 18, 2017
  6. Seems odd to me that Windows would mess with a top level directory named Temp (or any other top level directory that Windows doesn't specifically own). Just for grins I've created a D:\Temp and populated it with some dispensable stuff. I'll see if mine disappears.

I wonder if any 3rd-party "cleaner" software might be involved.

pokeefe0001, Sep 19, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Have you got in system storage sense turned on I wonder if thats doing it

Samuria, Sep 19, 2017
  8. Sqrly Win User

I thought the same thing and created some new folders "E:\LeaveMyShitAlone" for temp files I'm working with and E:\WRTemp for winrar to use as a temporary folder as it was set to use the E:\Temp folder.

This does remedy the symptoms but I still don't know the cause. I don't like the fact the the OS is deleting files and folders without my knowledge or permission.

No, it's off. Good idea though. Perhaps it doesn't really turn off no matter the setting.

Sqrly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. E:\Temp folder keeps vanishing after last update - Similar Threads - Temp folder keeps

2. E Drive Vanished

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    E Drive Vanished: E Drive has completely vanished due to a forced windows update. Lost a very good chunk of my files. Device does not show up in disk management which is the most concerning aspect. Urgently please direct me to a solution if there is one....
  3. E Drive Vanished

in Windows 10 Gaming
    E Drive Vanished: E Drive has completely vanished due to a forced windows update. Lost a very good chunk of my files. Device does not show up in disk management which is the most concerning aspect. Urgently please direct me to a solution if there is one....
  4. E Drive Vanished

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. _avast_ folder keeps reappearing in Windows\temp folder after deletion

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    _avast_ folder keeps reappearing in Windows\temp folder after deletion: Many years ago I had the free AVAST anti-virus software but I removed it and went back to Windows Defender. I use the latest version of Windows 10 as my PC is not upgradable to Windows 11. In the past have downloaded free software like CC Cleaner which came with Avast which I...
  6. _avast_ folder keeps reappearing in Windows\temp folder after deletion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    _avast_ folder keeps reappearing in Windows\temp folder after deletion: Many years ago I had the free AVAST anti-virus software but I removed it and went back to Windows Defender. I use the latest version of Windows 10 as my PC is not upgradable to Windows 11. In the past have downloaded free software like CC Cleaner which came with Avast which I...
  7. _avast_ folder keeps reappearing in Windows\temp folder after deletion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Thunderbird Send button vanished after last Tbird update

in Browsers and Email
    Thunderbird Send button vanished after last Tbird update: Hi, Tbird 78.5.1 32 bits. After the last update to this, the square Send button is no longer present. There used to be one in the blank space here when composing messages: [img] I've looked at fixes for missing Send buttons but they all relate to the toolbars - and there...
  9. E-mail won't come on after last update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    E-mail won't come on after last update: my e-mail will not respond after the last update, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/e-mail-wont-come-on-after-last-update/bc6b0342-20c6-436b-8d7a-b45d21290a69
  10. Loss of Mouse and e drive after last update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss of Mouse and e drive after last update: After the latest update, I have lost the ability to see the pointer without an external mouse, the touchpad to operate pointer, and the E drive is no longer showing as an option....