Windows 10: Rename Sound Input or Output Device in Windows 10

Discus and support Rename Sound Input or Output Device in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Rename Sound Input or Output Device in Windows 10 How to Rename Sound Input or Output Device in Windows 10 The default sound input device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by WinLatest, Jun 10, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Rename Sound Input or Output Device in Windows 10

How to: Rename Sound Input or Output Device in Windows 10

How to Rename Sound Input or Output Device in Windows 10

The default sound input device is the device (ex: microphone) that Windows uses to record or hear sound.

The default audio playback device is the device (ex: speaker) that Windows uses to output (play) sound.

If you don't like the default name given to a sound input or output device, you can easily rename it to any name you want to display for the device in Windows 10.

This tutorial will show you how to rename a sound input or output device for all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Rename Sound Input Device from Settings
    • Option Two: Rename Sound Output Device from Settings
    • Option Three: Rename Sound Input Device from Sound Control Panel
    • Option Four: Rename Sound Output Device from Sound Control Panel

EXAMPLE: List of sound playback (output) devices from the Volume icon on taskbar

Rename Sound Input or Output Device in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Rename Sound Input Device from Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Sound on the left side, select the input device you want to rename on the right side, and click/tap on the Device properties link under it. (see screenshot below)

*note This will change the default sound input device, so you may want to change this back to the device you want after renaming a device.

3. Type a new name you want, and click/tap on the Rename. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Rename Sound Output Device from Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Sound on the left side, select the output device you want to rename on the right side, and click/tap on the Device properties link under it. (see screenshot below)

*note This will change the default sound output device, so you may want to change this back to the device you want after renaming a device.

3. Type a new name you want, and click/tap on the Rename. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Rename Sound Input Device from Sound Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Sound icon.

*note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), copy and paste the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open "Recording" devices in the Sound panel.

*Arrow rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1

2. Select the sound input device you want to rename, and click/tap on the Properties button. (see screenshot below)

3. In the General tab, type a new name you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Rename Sound Output Device from Sound Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Sound icon.

*note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), copy and paste the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open "Playback" devices in the Sound panel.

*Arrow rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,0

2. Select the sound output device you want to rename, and click/tap on the Properties button. (see screenshot below)

3. In the General tab, type a new name you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

WinLatest, Jun 10, 2018

2. No Audio Input or Output Devices found

After latest windows 10 update no audio devices are listed/

Looking in device manager - the audio devices all say working OK

But on bar at bottem of screen get speaker with red cross -- Playing audio - Audio trouble shouter cannot find any problems ..

Sound settings say - No output or Input devices found.

Have tried to re-install Realtek audio drivers for motherboard -- installed but no change

David_Bexhill, Oct 27, 2019
  3. ericnixmd Win User
    Rename Sound Devices

I've figured out how to rename Bluetooth devices, but I can't figure out how to rename speakers.

My speaker list shows up as follows in the sound icon:
    • Echo Cancelling Speakerphone (2 - DELL PROFESSIONAL SOUND BAR AE515) - twice
    • Microphone (4 - SpeechMike III)
    • Microphone (Logitech BRIO)
    • Microphone Array (Realtek Audio)
    • Speakers (4 - SpeechMike III)
    • Speakers / Headphones (Realtek Audio)

Depending on which SpeechMike I'm using (wireless vs wired), it will show up as 3 (wired) or 5 (wireless with second base).

Is there a way to rename any of these devices? I've yet to find a way.

ericnixmd, Oct 27, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Two inputs into one output?

Yep, assuming the TV has the correct audio outputs. There is an option in Windows sound for the recording devices to let you listen to the input, just enable that and you'll hear whatever is connected to the input on your headset.

newtekie1, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Anglachel Win User
    Playback detecting Input Devices & Recording detecting Output Devices

Hello!

Today, I was playing SCP: Secret Laboratory. After I finished, I went and made tea. When I came back much later to play some more, I found that the in-game voice chat was not working for me; my microphone was not transmitting in-game.
    Looking into my Steam settings, I found that all my input devices were actually my output devices, and all my output devices were actually input devices. I initially thought this was an issue with Steam, so I restarted Steam and my PC.
    However, when the problem did not resolve, I looked to my sound settings and found that even in there, my playback devices detected inputs as outputs and recording devices detected outputs as inputs.

How am I able to fix this problem?

The VoiceMeeter inputs and outputs are from a sound managing device called VoiceMeeter Banana that I installed to allow for the creation of virtual line ins.

Anglachel, Oct 27, 2019
  6. no output device is installed ... so sound from my laptop

Hi Vijay,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. appreciate you interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to check if the audio drivers are installed by checking in Device Manager by following the steps below:

1. Press 'Windows key + R' and type 'devmgmt.msc' (without quotes) and press enter.

2. Expand 'Audio inputs and outputs' and check if there are any drivers listed.

If there are no drivers listed, then install the latest drivers available or from the drivers CD which was obtained when you had Windows 7.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Rename Sound Input or Output Device in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Rename Sound Input

2. Windows 11 no sound input or output devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 no sound input or output devices.: I have already troubleshot, updated driver, uninstalled and reinstalled, gone through BIOS check. Microsoft needs to offer a REAL fix to this issue....
  3. Windows 11 no sound input or output devices.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 no sound input or output devices.: I have already troubleshot, updated driver, uninstalled and reinstalled, gone through BIOS check. Microsoft needs to offer a REAL fix to this issue....
  4. No input or output device.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No input or output device.: My laptop had this weird update, and after the update my laptop crashed a few times. Then after that when I finally logged on, my laptop had no input or output devices. And what I mean is, there is no default sound system where, just as the laptop, it can produce sounds. My...
  5. Renaming Input Devices?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming Input Devices?: [ATTACH] I have 4 usb joysticks hooked to my computer. They are all named "Generic USB Joystick". How do I rename them? When I go to properties and click in the text box, it wont let me do anything....
  6. Input and output Sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Input and output Sound: Hi there! I need help with my Input and Output sound. I have recently bought headphones that had a mic on the cable. When I switched the headphones as my output it doesn't show my headphones mic as an input. But if I put my headphones mic as in input it doesn't put my...
  7. No input and output devices.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No input and output devices.: Sound not working after the update. Troubleshooter displaying no audio device installed. I tried updating and reinstalling the sound drivers but nothing changed. I observed that after every updating something starts malfunctioning. It's a lattitud E6430....
  8. Sound input and output

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound input and output: I was wondering, how do I make it so that the input and output of sound, basically the microphone and earphone, are in the same place, as I don't have headphones but still want to use my microphone on the earphones...
  9. no input or output sounds

no input or output sounds: i recently did a hard reset now sound nor mic are working i am on an rca 2 n 1 windows10 also my touch screen is all screwy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-input-or-output-sounds/fb9550bd-6813-4bd2-be12-c6d35d2c47da
  10. Renaming audio output device

Renaming audio output device: Whenever I have to unplug the USB cables for my headset, Windows will rename the device in the Taskbar after they've been plugged back in. Reinstalling the drivers/software does not fix this. How can I change their name back to their original name (and prevent this from...