Windows 10: Easiest way of installing windows 10 on Windows 8.1/windows 7 config?

Discus and support Easiest way of installing windows 10 on Windows 8.1/windows 7 config? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Right now, my computer is running windows 8.1/windows 7 in dual boot. Only my windows 7 is eligible for windows 10. What is the easiest way of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by imeem, Jul 23, 2015.

1. imeem Win User

Easiest way of installing windows 10 on Windows 8.1/windows 7 config?

Right now, my computer is running windows 8.1/windows 7 in dual boot. Only my windows 7 is eligible for windows 10. What is the easiest way of installing windows 10 on my windows 8.1 partition instead of my windows 7 so i can dual boot windows 10/windows 7 at the end?

The only way i can think of is back up my windows 7 stuff and let windows 10 install on it. Then reinstall windows 7 on the windows 10 partition, and do a clean install of windows 10 on the windows 8.1 partition once i get the windows 10 cd key.

:)

imeem, Jul 23, 2015

2. Need to go to Win8 from Win10

My laptop came w/ Windows 7 installed. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. I just found out that I have to have either Windows 7 or 8 for school because thier programs are not compatible w/ Windows 10. Can I uninstall Windows 10 & then install
    Windows 8.1? And if so what is the easiest way to do this?

selenasaqui, Jul 23, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    I have a new computer that came with Windows 10 but have a program that will not run properly but ran flawlessly on Windows 7.

It's still possible to buy Windows 7 and activate it. If you only need Windows 7 for one program, wouldn't it be easier to get the Windows 10-compatible version of the program, if one exists? Compare the cost of Windows 7 and the cost of a Windows-10 compatible
    version of your program.

If there's no Windows 10-compatible version of your program, the easiest way to run Windows 7 inside Windows 10 is to install Windows 7 in a virtual machine.

BulldogXX, Jul 23, 2015
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Hi Imeem, welcome to Tenforums. If you can make an additional partition of about 30 GB on your system you can keep both Windows 7 and 8 and also boot to Windows 10. It depends on how much contiguous free space you have. Free Partition managers like EASEUS and Minitool Partition Wizard make these operations quite easy. You can also remove your old Operating systems and reclaim the space they used.

Fafhrd, Jul 23, 2015
  5. Sounds like you can not upgrade the Win8x to Win10 and you want to continue to use Win7 after the Win10 installation -- so you're not using that to upgrade as well. In that case, you would have to PURCHASE a Win10 license, as the free versions are ONLY to upgrade from an existing Win7/8/8.1.

If you install Win7 on the Win10 partition, all you will be doing is replacing Win10 with Win7. Don't know what you hope to accomplish by doing that. It would be better to simply reformat the Win8 partition and do a clean install of Win10 there. That will then update the Win7 boot loader so on reboot, you have entries for Win10 and Win7.

Mark Phelps, Jul 24, 2015
  6. imeem Win User
    Thanks for the welcomes. I don't want to have 3 OS on my computer, I just want 2: Windows 10 and Windows 7. With windows 8.1 being replaced by windows 10 from the upgrade i get from my windows 7.

Yes. I want to keep my windows 7 and replace my windows 8.1 OS with windows 10. and I can't do it directly on windows 8.1 so i have to use my windows 7 to get that upgrade.

Are you saying that i can't do this with the free upgrade and i would have to buy the retail copy?

imeem, Jul 24, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    You can legally upgrade Win7 to 10 but can't transfer the license to 8.1. If by 8.1 not being eligible for upgrade you mean that it's not legal, than you would end up with illegal 10 too. Once you upgrade any eligible windows to W10 you loose license for it in favor of license for W10 so you can't use it any more (legally).

CountMike, Jul 24, 2015
  8. Easiest way of installing windows 10 on Windows 8.1/windows 7 config?

As CountMike has indicated -- yes -- you would have to buy a license if you can't upgrade Win8.1.

Mark Phelps, Jul 24, 2015
  9. imeem Win User
    kk thanks. i thought they would be giving me an windows 10 oem key. so i guess no windows 10 for me *Sad

imeem, Jul 24, 2015
  10. CountMike New Member
    See if you can still join insiders program, it should last for long time and stay legal.

CountMike, Jul 24, 2015
  11. imeem Win User
    i'm using windows 8.1 enterprise so that's why i'm not eligible. Maybe 1 day i can get win 10 enterprise.

thanks for the heads up, i just tried to and it said that I was too late to join.

imeem, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Easiest way of installing windows 10 on Windows 8.1/windows 7 config? - Similar Threads - Easiest installing config

2. Easiest way to downgrade from Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Easiest way to downgrade from Windows 11: Too many bugs, and zero support options with the newly mangled help.microsoft.com. Nobody will call you back, and the chat is worthless. If you start over it throws back the same chat. I dont even get a chance to wait on hold for hours like I used too. Q: Do we have to give...
  3. Easiest way to downgrade from Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Easiest way to downgrade from Windows 11: Too many bugs, and zero support options with the newly mangled help.microsoft.com. Nobody will call you back, and the chat is worthless. If you start over it throws back the same chat. I dont even get a chance to wait on hold for hours like I used too. Q: Do we have to give...
  4. easiest way to convert drive to gpt format while installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    easiest way to convert drive to gpt format while installing windows 10: what is the easiest way to convert drive to gpt format while installing windows 10 from usb flash? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/easiest-way-to-convert-drive-to-gpt-format-while/8af9ec08-24dd-4292-8286-5b138a0064bf
  5. Easiest way to reinstall window?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Easiest way to reinstall window?: Over the past few months my PC has had some really weird issues. I don't think these are an effect of a virus, I have run full scans using Windows defender, Malwarebytes and Bitdefender and haven't found anything that could have caused these issues. Because of this I am...
  6. easiest way to pin any windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    easiest way to pin any windows?: easiest (1-click) way to pin any windows? that is another way of phrasing this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ghk9ka/feature_how_to_have_the_desktop_show_a_realtime/ that idea was found by 1 person on...
  7. Windows 10, 8, or 7

Windows 10, 8, or 7: Can Windows 10, 8, or 7 be installed on a MacBook Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-8-or-7/1b2b0ef2-d4e9-494a-afda-ab7773e1ea39
  8. Easiest way to install windows 10 enterprise on multiple computers

Easiest way to install windows 10 enterprise on multiple computers: Hello. I am an IT intern at a library, we are just about to convert all the computer (20~ staff computers) to windows 10 enterprise from windows 7. Currently on my test laptop I have been forced to use the windows media creator tool to convert to win 10 then use an iso from...
  9. how to install Windows in a raid 1 config

how to install Windows in a raid 1 config: Hi. I have two 160gb hdd and I wanted to install windows in a raid 1 configuration with those drives. I have windows 10 currently installed in a third 320gb hdd and already transformed the other two into a single raid 1 partition. How do I install windows in the raid 1? Do I...
  10. Easiest way to block Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Easiest way to block Windows Updates: Hi all, I need three days of my life to setup a new computer with Win 10 Pro AU and now it's pretty fine (or almost...). Said that, I am really afraid that some "forced" update will destroy my spare time again so I want to AVOID Windows Update to update my computer....