Windows 10: Easy Guide: How to Restore a Backup Using File History

Discus and support Easy Guide: How to Restore a Backup Using File History in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This article shows you how restore a Backup using File History. Easy Guides are intended to make it easy for users to follow instructions regarding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Andre Da Costa, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Easy Guide: How to Restore a Backup Using File History

This article shows you how restore a Backup using File History.

Easy Guides are intended to make it easy for users to follow instructions regarding basic tasks in Windows 10. Guides are a single info-graphic that you can follow from beginning to end.

Note: File History, System Image, Backup and Restore in Windows 10 are partially broken and they are not being actively maintained or developed. Microsoft is planning to remove them in a future release. You are seeing the effects of this. You should switch to a third party solution such as Macrium Reflect (Free).

Learn more: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows-10-system-image-best-free-alternatives/

Easy Guide: How to Restore a Backup Using File History [​IMG]

:)

Andre Da Costa, Aug 12, 2018

2. File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, Aug 12, 2018
  3. Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Aug 12, 2018
  4. Easy Guide: How to Restore a Backup Using File History

W10 Backup & Restore and File History

Hi,

Yes, you can use both Backup and Restore and File History at the same time.

Here are the difference between File History and Backup and Restore:

File History backs up copies of files that are in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC.

Backup and Restore back up files or create system image backups. A system image is an exact copy of a drive. It includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You
    can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk stops working.

For more information, your may check these articles:

File History in Windows

Back up and restore your files

Keep us posted.

Antoneth Ber, Aug 12, 2018
Thema:

Easy Guide: How to Restore a Backup Using File History

1. Easy Guide: How to Restore a Backup Using File History - Similar Threads - Easy Guide Restore

2. Windows backup/restore and file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows backup/restore and file history: I have a new (late December) Dell 5500, 512 GB SSD about half empty. I have File Explorer access to a 2TB NAS (WD Mybook Live) via home wifi network. I'm starting with win 10 native s/w. I'll research other popular programs (macrium etc) because multiple attempts using the...
  3. File History VS Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History VS Backup and Restore: Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc, restore point, system image and recovery drive. 1) can the same external drive be used for both file history and backup and...
  4. Backup and Restore Question for File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and Restore Question for File History: I have used File History for a number of years to backup my files. I can see it running and according to the program it operates successfully. For the heck of it I tried to restore a file, just to see if it would work. It ended up only finding a backup from July 2019, yet...
  5. Backup Using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup Using File History: I wanted to clean up my backup hdd and I deleted the folder File History. Now, if I say Backup Now in Backup Using File History, it says last backup …, it goes for 1 second and returns to cancel. How can I get Backup Using File History to work again without reinstalling...
  6. Easy Guide: How to Browse the Contents of a File History Backup in Windows 10

Easy Guide: How to Browse the Contents of a File History Backup in Windows 10: This article shows you how to open and view the contents of a File History Backup in Windows 10. If you only want to access a few files in your backup, the following instructions let you do it. Easy Guides are intended to make it easy for users to follow instructions...
  7. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: I use File History in Win 10 to back up my files to a 500GB WD My Passport portable hard drive. I also use WD SmartWare installed from the WD drive to back up my files. This seems redundant and maybe overkill. Is it safe to rely solely on File History which would allow...
  8. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...
  9. Backup using file history

Backup using file history: I am attempting to backup to my external drive using file history, I have done this many times before with no problem, but now it would appear file history does not see my external drive leaving a Red X after the drive name. Not had any problem before & I am using the same...
  10. Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?: I've been using Backup & Restore on some Win 7 systems but now I have added a new Win 10 PC (from HP). It's not entirely clear to me why I would use the Win 10 File History facility versus Win 7 Backup & Restore. File History looks like a partial backup. I'd prefer a full...