Windows 10: Easy way to install on a REAL machine from a VM

Discus and support Easy way to install on a REAL machine from a VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Having got a VM working just the way I want it I wanted to install this on a laptop as a PHYSICAL machine. (VMWARE Easy way : 1) From... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jul 1, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Easy way to install on a REAL machine from a VM

Hi there
    Having got a VM working just the way I want it I wanted to install this on a laptop as a PHYSICAL machine. (VMWARE

Easy way :

1) From WITHIN the VM -- uninstall VMWARE tools or VBOX additions etc.
    2) Run acronis or other imaging software to create an image of the VM.

3) Boot stand alone restore program
    4) Restore the image (Restore entire HDD -- If you use Acronis Backup 11.5 just select Disk and restore Whole Disk.

5) Now boot -- Most of the software these days has a "Universal Restore" type of function so restoring to different hardware isn't an Issue and W10 is already activated.

finally 6) Use something like GPARTED to re-size partitions - you can make the "C" partition larger if you are restoring to say a 256 GB SSD from a 60GB Virtual drive.

Works a treat --Simple and saves a lot of work.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 1, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

will my old games work with windows 10?

Games that date back to Windows 9x are not likely to run - or even install - on Windows 10. Games from the Windows XP era might install or run on Windows 10 - or they might not. It all depends on how they're coded.

It's possible to install old games in what people call 'compatibility mode' and that sometimes works and sometimes not.

But if you really want to experience those games the way they were meant to be experienced, run them inside a virtual machine. A virtual machine is a computer created out of software. Imagine having a Windows 98 computer running on Windows 10 ... it's easy
    if you know how.

Oracle's VirtualBox and VMWare's Workstation Player both make easy work of creating virtual machines. Once you have your VM setup, install your old game in the VM just like you would in a real computer, because a virtual machine
    is a real computer.

How to Make Old Programs Work on Windows 10

How to Create and Use Virtual Machines

BulldogXX, Jul 1, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    How Can I use Windows 10 to Run a program written for Windows 98?

Sure, no problem and it's free: Run your program in a Windows 98 virtual machine.

Setting up a virtual machine with VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation player is easy - there are many tutorials on the web. Install Windows 98 in the VM and then install your program.

You can also create a VM with Microsoft's own Hyper-V but the process is more tricky to understand.

BulldogXX, Jul 1, 2015
  4. popeye Win User

Now that is great info Jimbo! Thanks for sharing, *Smile.

popeye, Jul 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Easy way to install on a REAL machine from a VM - Similar Threads - Easy install REAL

2. Would there be a easy way to install a missing driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Would there be a easy way to install a missing driver: In this screenshot I'm missing my pci controller driver and can't find a easy way to reinstall it without having to go through all the driver files in system 32 in driverstore, is there perhaps a way to install it with a easy-to-use interface like how the driver updater works...
  3. Would there be a easy way to install a missing driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Would there be a easy way to install a missing driver: In this screenshot I'm missing my pci controller driver and can't find a easy way to reinstall it without having to go through all the driver files in system 32 in driverstore, is there perhaps a way to install it with a easy-to-use interface like how the driver updater works...
  4. Quick and easy way to configure several machines identically?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick and easy way to configure several machines identically?: Hi All, I know that there are tools to deploy pre-configured Windows installations in large networks, so that every new machine comes with the same features and settings. We would like to use something similar (at tiny scale) but with machines which have Win10 Home...
  5. Transfer License from a VM to a real PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer License from a VM to a real PC: I have two VMs that were activated and licensed correctly for Windows 10 Pro. These VMs were used for remote access by employees that no longer work at the company. The company is no longer utilizing remote employees in any capacity. That said, we have two licenses that are...
  6. ESXi 6.7 -- very easy to install VM's with the browser

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    ESXi 6.7 -- very easy to install VM's with the browser: Hi folks Esxi 6.7 has an easy method with your remote browser to install VM's : ideally 2 computers needed one say your laptop and the other where the Esxi data stores (VM disks etc) and other config runs. Great thing about Esxi is that it's a tiny OS --you can run even...
  7. Mount Windows GPT drive on to Linux machine (VM or real)

Mount Windows GPT drive on to Linux machine (VM or real): Hi there just a quick note for people who want to use GPT (NTFS formatted) HDD's on a Linux machine directly rather than via sharing from Windows. Ensure package ntfs-3g is installed -- often is by default --this will give read and write access to NTFS files. Remember a GPT...
  8. Centos users update VM / Real machines - polkit error

Centos users update VM / Real machines - polkit error: Hi folks anybody using CENTOS as a VM will probably get an error when doing a yum update due to some error with packaging in polkit so the update will fail. to fix as root (su) or (sudo) type rpm -e polkit - nodeps after that run the yum update again -- then all fixed....
  9. HYPER-V VM convert to Physical machine - any easy way for V2P

HYPER-V VM convert to Physical machine - any easy way for V2P: Hi folks especially @Kari One thing with Virtual Machines created by VMware is that it's usually easy to create a physical machine environment from the guest W10 machine by using the various tools out there (V2P conversion). Even taking an image with Macrium and...
  10. Create VM from physical machine

Create VM from physical machine: My machine has a non-clean install of win 10, which I have been using for months. I would like to do a clean install of windows 10, but I don't want to be down for days getting everything setup. So I figured I would run it in a VM on the newly installed OS while I set things...