Windows 10: Easy way to update to W10 using existing W8.1 system

Discus and support Easy way to update to W10 using existing W8.1 system in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there If you want to test W10 builds using all your existing programs then this IMO is the esiest way to do it. This way preserves your REAL W8 /... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Dec 28, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Easy way to update to W10 using existing W8.1 system

Hi there

If you want to test W10 builds using all your existing programs then this IMO is the esiest way to do it. This way preserves your REAL W8 / W8.1 / W7 machine.

1) Install VMware player (FREE)

2) install VMWARE stand alone converter -- also FREE

3) Run the VMware converter tool to convert your existing running REAL machine into a Virtual machine (P2V this process is called - Physical to Virtual)

4) Power on the newly created Virtual machine

5) run the W10 update from inside the VM --- job done !!!

Here's a screenshot of the initial Physical ==> Virtual machine conversion using the VMware conversion tool.

Easy way to update to W10 using existing W8.1 system [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 28, 2014

2. Unauthorized W10 Install Overnight

This morning turned on tablet that had W8.1 yesterday and was notified that W10 was installed overnight (w/o any authorization by us). To restore to W8.1, have choice to "decline" or "Keep W10". Concerned way message reads that if we "decline" so W8.1
    is reinstalled, we will lose free W10 upgrade permanently. Can someone clarify if that's the case? Thanks.

MarieCookson, Dec 28, 2014
  3. zantek78 Win User
    Windows 10 "remove everything" made Asus Vivotab Note 8 go into a BSOD "inaccessible_boot_device", completely BRICKED!

Thanks for your experience!

How can you solve the matter about the Windows key?

I've installed W10 but it doesn't accept my Key of W8.1 (recovered from UEFI) so it's useless...

I would Reinstall W8.1 to put my Key and upgrade to W10 again...

The problem is that, if i create a bootable USB with W8.1, i cannot access to the BIOS and i don't understand why!

I will try to erase all partition, "hoping" that the system "forget" W10 and accept W8.1...

it's a crazy situations...

- i have the activation key for W8.1

- the system don't let me to install W8.1

- W10 doesn't accept the key (even if for upgrade was OK)

I've upgraded the system because i was confident about MS quality, but the process for upgrade is really buggy!!!

zantek78, Dec 28, 2014
  4. Kari Win User

A good tip Jimbo.

Here's a tutorial to do the same for those running Windows 8 / 8.1 with Hyper-V: Hyper-V - Create and Use VHD of Windows 10 with Disk2VHD. Although tutorial is written for Windows 10 the exactly same procedure applies to Windows 8 / 8.1.

The method can also be used by users with Windows 7 and Windows Virtual PC to create a vhd of existing physical Windows installation and use it in Windows Virtual PC to create a new vm.

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Great idea if you want to use HYPER-V too -- I'll have a go with that later after New years day. !!! Creating a VHD of your REAL machine is a great tip.

BTW if you do use VMware ensure that the VM settings set the USB compatibility to USB2 and NOT USB3 for Windows 10 or you will find the task bar doesn't work and the mouse connections can get hosed up. !!! (WKS 11 / vmplayer 7. Earlier versions don't support (officially) Windows 10 guests.

Problem also with HYPER-V is that it only runs on Windows Hosts so if you are running a Linux host no go.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Easy way to update to W10 using existing W8.1 system - Similar Threads - Easy update W10

2. System Restore W8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore W8: My control panel is not showing its system restore to restore. I have it's icon in my bottom task bar and when I open that it only shows todays date and nothing to choose another date to restore. Does anyone know how to get this restore to work? I have been all over the net...
  3. System Restore W8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore W8: My control panel is not showing its system restore to restore. I have it's icon in my bottom task bar and when I open that it only shows todays date and nothing to choose another date to restore. Does anyone know how to get this restore to work? I have been all over the net...
  4. easy fastest way to install w10 onto a 2nd drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    easy fastest way to install w10 onto a 2nd drive?: problem: the 'cloning' softwares does not let me 'clone' the hdd to the sdd question #1: why? the disks looks like this: Imgur: The magic of the Internet - 1 hdd with w10 installed, is activated - did the windows updates is laptop, nothing really on it yet dunno which...
  5. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  6. Is there an easy way to keep all system drivers current?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there an easy way to keep all system drivers current?: Yes, know where you hardware driver come from and check a couple of times a year for updates. Unless you are experiencing issues there is no good reason to update any drivers, and if there is you'll be notified. MHO
  7. W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!

W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!: Hi folks. Not sure how long this will continue to work but the Free update from W7/W8/W8.1 is STILL working as of 16 Nov 2017. I entered an old Technet key for W8.1 pro on a clean install of W10 pro via the media creation tool. No probs -- activated with Digital...
  8. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  9. Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the CD, restart my computer so Windows starts normally, then reinsert the CD to restart the upgrade. Clicking Custom and then...
  10. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...