Windows 10: EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives

Discus and support EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi - I am thinking about transitioning from Win7 to Win10. I have been running Win7x64 for a very long time on my main PC. I have done a lot of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AzJazz, Jan 10, 2017.

1. AzJazz Win User

EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives

Hi - I am thinking about transitioning from Win7 to Win10.

I have been running Win7x64 for a very long time on my main PC. I have done a lot of installs over the years along with low level customizations. To me, it probably would be best to do a clean install of Win10 on a separate SSD and start from scratch rather than "upgrading" a clone of my Win7 drive. I have no idea what sort of latent instabilities would occur if I did a Win10 upgrade.

I want to have both systems easily available over the months as I make my transition. There is also a possibility that I may scrap the Win10 installation and stick with Win7, since I am not a fan of the Win10 interface right now.

If all goes well, though, I will eventually pull out the Win7 drive and stick with Win10.

So, I want both drives to be bootable - If I pull out the Win7 drive, I want to be able to boot my Win10 drive. I also want to be able to boot the Win7 drive if I scrap the Win10 drive.

Will EasyBCD will let me do this? I was planning on pulling my Win7 drive out temporarily, and then installing Win10 fresh on the new SSD. After that, I was going to reinstall my Win7 drive and configure EasyBCD to run off the Win7 drive.

Will this work? Is there anything special that I would need to do for the Win10 installation or EasyBCD installation?

Thanks,

:)

AzJazz, Jan 10, 2017
  2. dozrguy Win User

How do I Remove All Traces of Windows 10 From My Windows 7 Machine?

easy squeezy lemon cheesey.......

download a program called EASYBCD and install in Win7

goto start/settings/administrativetools/computer management/storage/disk management/right click the win10 partition, and chose format!

Now, start up EASYBCD and choose the "edit boot menu" button

you should see win7 AND win10

chose the win10 entry, hit "delete" button in the menu on the top of the box

WIN10 is DUST IN THE WIND!

dozrguy, Jan 10, 2017
  3. Stuck on "Requres a restart to finish installing"

Yes, especially if you're using GRUB boot loader this can interfere with Windows in ways like you're seeing now. A solution to still have both is to install them on separate hard drives and boot via the BIOS so they cannot interact at all.

Short of that you can also use the Windows Boot Manager to boot the Dual Boot similar to the way described here:

Dual Boot Ubuntu - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

I'd ask further questions in the NeoSmart forums at the link because they are the foremost experts on Dual Booting and authors of

EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required)

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jan 10, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You don't even have to use EasyBCD. Once you get Windows 7 installed and booting on it's own drive (you have that now), and have Windows 10 installed and booting on it's own drive (by installing it with the Windows 7 drive disconnected), reconnect both drives and boot from whichever one you want to. The other Windows partition that you are not booted into should get a drive letter. If it doesn't, go into disk management and assign it a drive letter. Let's say it get drive F:\

Open a command prompt with administrator privileges and run:

bcdboot F:\Windows /d /addlast

Change the drive letter F: to match what you need to. That will set up the dual booting on the current drive you are booting from. You can run msconfig and look at the boot tab to adjust your timeout.

NavyLCDR, Jan 10, 2017
  5. Avocado Win User
    You can use the "bcdedit /export" command to create a backup file of the current system store contents.

bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak

You can then use the "bcdedit /import" command if you want to restore the state of the system store.

bcdedit /import c:\bcd.bak

How to use BCDBoot to add or repair the boot menu on a dual-boot PC (works on both GPT and MBR disks)

If you've installed more than one copy of Windows on a PC, you can use BCDBoot to add or repair the boot menu.

For example: How to add Windows 7 entry to the boot menu.

On the Windows 10 desktop, open a command prompt as administrator and type the following commands.

diskpart
    list volume (note the volume letter where the Windows 7 is installed)
    exit

bcdboot x:\windows (replace "x" with the volume letter of the Windows 7 partition)

Now you should see the Windows 7 and Windows 10 entries on the dual-boot screen.

EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives [​IMG]

Windows 7 style dual-boot screen (see screenshot below).

Windows 10 style dual-boot screen (see screenshot below).

How to restore the Windows 7 style dual-boot screen

On the Windows 7 desktop, open a command prompt as administrator and type the following command.

bcdboot %windir%

How to restore the Windows 10 style dual-boot screen

On the Windows 10 desktop, open a command prompt as administrator and type the following command.

bcdboot %windir%

How to fix the Windows 10 bootloader

Look at post #24 in this thread: How do I restore w10 bootloader? dual boot with ubuntu on separate hdd

Avocado, Jan 10, 2017
  6. AzJazz Win User
    Thanks, guys! This really helped!

Avacado's recommendation worked for me - I was running on Win7, and the commands were compatible.

AzJazz, Jan 12, 2017
  7. Jimmyb Win User
    Having just installed W10 on a separate drive to my W7 stable configuration, I was initially surprised, the dual boot window did not appear at start-up until I realised this was for two OS on the same drive.
    I followed the instruction as per post #3, working out of my W10 OS, however on start up I get the W7 menu, it works fine, but why the W7 screen?

Jimmyb, Sep 24, 2017
  8. Boomhauer Win User

For the life of me I can not figure out what is wrong and do not know why. I ran 7/10 for couple years with 10 dual boot menu never 1st problem but just built a new rig and maybe I'm tired and over analyzing but nothing seems to work or make sense. Both on separate drives 10 ssd and 7 hdd. 7's partition however is hidden and that is I suppose bcdboot D:\windows will not work from 10 desktop (cmd) but why do I get the same error in 7 trying to bring 10 in?
    Both seem to boot fine individually when I choose in bios, bios sees boot manager for both, and 10 is primary and if miss bios str8 into 10 it goes. (UEFI I know). 1st boot wiped out 7 boot mngr. Had to rebuild it but couldn't do that with both drives installed for errors there. Is there a sure fire no holds barred guaranteed way to ensure the option besides bios or override? Last dual was not gpt and dont recall any hidden partitions even after a clean install and guessing thats why was easier but at this point i dont know up from down. Even easybcd would not work. Lol
    Help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Boomhauer, Jan 24, 2018
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You have to temporarily assign a drive letter to the Windows 7 partition in Windows 10. Then use the bcdboot command to add it to the boot menu. Then you can remove the drive letter again.

NavyLCDR, Jan 24, 2018
  10. Boomhauer Win User
    I went into disk management to do just that but not an option for whatever reason unless I overlooked it last night. Can I do that with diskpart although I don't really care to mess with something "live" like that unless absolutely necessary?

Boomhauer, Jan 24, 2018
  11. Boomhauer Win User

Boomhauer, Jan 24, 2018
  12. Boomhauer Win User
    ok so im not having any luck. greyed out in disk management and disk part tells type not in the correct format?
    is this because gpt?

i"m thinking a few more unwanted and un-welcomed changes have been intertwined into the windows 10's OS code. i admin and don"t have the privileges i should but i can change all that if need be

Boomhauer, Jan 25, 2018
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

want to make sure i have this straight before i waste even more hours only to mess something up or be right back at square one again. both the efi partitions 7/10 are hidden. i can not use "bcdboot D:\windows" from either installation with a failure copy error. so i can just use diskpart? to unhide and temp. assign a drive letter to both ESP's to add to each others boot menu and then remove the temp. assigned letters? does it hold true if ssd 10 and hdd 7 are both gpt? or does that even matter? seems to be the only thing holding up progress other than my unfounded intellectual ineptness. thank you and hope this is only question remaining (fingers crossed). the more layman terminology used the better. lol

p.s. 30 + years ago my drill sergeant once told me the only stupid question was the question not asked and that has both plagued/helped me ever since. which of those two is the more pronounced i am afraid to say. You should not be trying to unhide and assign drive letters to the ESP(s). You don't add the other OS's ESP to the boot menu, you add the big NTFS partition that actually contains the entire OS.

In order to unhide an ESP and assign a drive letter to it, you first have to change it's partition type. The only time you want to do that is if you are going to build the boot files from nothing because they got corrupted for some reason.

NavyLCDR, Jan 25, 2018
  14. Boomhauer Win User
    when i run bcd D:\windows from cmd in c:\ i get failure to copy and same when try on win7

Boomhauer, Jan 25, 2018
  15. Boomhauer Win User

Boomhauer, Jan 25, 2018
Thema:

1. EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and Win7 on separate drives - Similar Threads - EasyBCD Dual Boot

2. win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option): On my desktop I am using ICY DOCK SSD cage for my OS: MB322SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure...
  3. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  4. Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will update Win7>Win10 deactivate second Win7 drive in a Dual boot?: Here's the situation. I have a 17" laptop with two Win 7 drives set up with dual boot. One is a 128gb SSD with all my work software. (AutoCad, Rhino, etc) The other is a new 256 SSD with only the Win7 OS installed. Both use the same laptop Product key. I would like to...
  5. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  6. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  7. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  8. Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10

Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10: hi, I am new on this forum, but not new with windows or OS setup. I was running win 7 (64bit) pleasantly but decided to install Win10, did all the needed stuff for getting dual boot setup. Win10 booted fine, when selected from dual boot menu, but I have many issues on...
  9. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does easybcd allow dual drives

2. EasyBCD Dual Boot management for Win10 and linux Ubuntu on separate drives