Windows 10: Edge block POP-UP feature isn't working properly

Discus and support Edge block POP-UP feature isn't working properly in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello everyone, After installing windows ten and now the anni update. I've been switching from chome to edge, however I've noticed that the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by minimog34, Aug 11, 2016.

1. minimog34 Win User

Edge block POP-UP feature isn't working properly

Hello everyone,

After installing windows ten and now the anni update.
    I've been switching from chome to edge, however I've noticed that the standard block POP-UP feature of Edge isn't working properly. In my experience it only blocks 10% of alle pop-ups and most just pop-up, in a new tab, in a new small window, in a new big window etc.

Is there a way to set this block feature to a higher standard? Similar to Internet Explorer? For example: setting it to high settings to block everything and use ctrl+alt to allow certain pop-ups?

Or with the new extension implementation of edge can anyone recommend an extension to block?

Many thanks.

:)

minimog34, Aug 11, 2016

2. mircosoft edge pop up blocker problem

This isn't a matter of turning it on for me. It is a matter of it actually working!

I'm still getting pop-ups with this turned on.

In IE11 all pop-ups were blocked. I would say in Edge it is 75%-80%.

jeff.vaccaro, Aug 11, 2016
  3. Pop-up Survey from ISP

My Microsoft Edge has the setting of "Block Pop-Ups" ON (which is the default).

However, very infrequently, I might receive a pop-up Windows from Microsoft Edge, that say my ISP has selected my IP address for a survey.

I don't understand how come it could work. Why ISP could circumvent my "block pop-ups" settings, and pop-up a windows on my Microsoft Edge?

Any thoughts?

Clement.Yip, Aug 11, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Yeah, I have the same problem. This is the first time I've used Edge for any period of time due to Internet Explorer being more flexible, however I too found Edge doesn't seem to stop pop-ups/pop-unders particularly well.

It seems to work correctly on PopupTest - test your popup blocker, download free popup blockers for example, but unfortunately in real life usage, sites are still able to launch pop-ups/pop-unders without Edge asking for confirmation.

Like you said, in IE we could just set the pop-up blocker to 'High: Block All Pop-ups' and then whitelist any sites that genuinley needed to launch pop-up windows. Unfortunately this doesn't seem possible in Edge.

ARC1020, Aug 11, 2016
  5. minimog34 Win User
    It is a shame because edge has some good features and it is very fast.
    I've tried the extensions adblock and adblockplus but they do not stop all popups

minimog34, Aug 11, 2016
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    I don't know whether you noticed the same, but for me they seem to launch OnClick. I.E. They launch when left-clicking anywhere on the page. Maybe this is how unscrupulous sites get around it, by somehow tricking Edge into thinking you've deliberately clicked something?

It's annoying as Internet Explorer has a lot of useful customisable features like this that have been dumped in Edge.

ARC1020, Aug 11, 2016
  7. Bastet Win User
    ABP extension is certainly better than the inbuilt ad blocker & is being constantly updated.

Bastet, Aug 11, 2016
  8. minimog34 Win User

So are you saying that between the two extensions ABP is the better one?? Because I'm currently testing both and I don't really see a difference. Yes they block ads on websites, however these extensions do not block pop-ups.

Or

Did you mean ad block plus vs standard edge???

minimog34, Aug 11, 2016
  9. Bastet Win User
    ABP is better than the Blocker built into Edge.

Bastet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Edge block POP-UP feature isn't working properly - Similar Threads - Edge block POP

2. PC isn't working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC isn't working properly: Hello,I've recently built a new pc, but for the past 6 months I've experienced some problems. Number one is that my PC crashes once or twice every three months. I've taken a look at my event viewer but cant really figure out how to fix the problems or even understand what is...
  3. Wifi pop up in task bar is not working properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wifi pop up in task bar is not working properly: Wifi pop up in task bar is showing blank after opening as shown in image. What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-pop-up-in-task-bar-is-not-working-properly/edd643fa-5ecc-4a1d-8c75-e25c7f578648
  4. Wifi pop up in task bar is not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi pop up in task bar is not working properly: Wifi pop up in task bar is showing blank after opening as shown in image. What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-pop-up-in-task-bar-is-not-working-properly/edd643fa-5ecc-4a1d-8c75-e25c7f578648
  5. Wifi pop up in task bar is not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Firewall blocked some features of this app keeps popping up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Firewall blocked some features of this app keeps popping up: I get this popup with Plex Media Sever, Plex Media Player, and Calibre. All three apps are in the pass list for both Bullguard and Windows Defender Firewall. Why does this happen and how can I stop it? I have tried just about every proposed fix I can find on the net. 157051
  7. block pop ups

in Windows 10 Customization
    block pop ups: how do I stop pop up ads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/block-pop-ups/a35a6c30-ca14-4dc2-8c1c-2efaef511f05
  8. Pop up block

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pop up block: Windows 10 problem started yesterday. When I attempt to open an attachment (Facebook "view")…... Response says block-up stops opening. I have gone to block-up in the control panel.....and it is not turned on. Any ideas Ed B...
  9. blocking pop ups

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    blocking pop ups: I am unable to click on trusted links in my emails. I keep getting this message "Could not open window.If you have a pop-up blocker installed, please make sure it is disabled." This has only started recently so I'm assuming it's from a resent update. Help please....
  10. Pop up Block

in Browsers and Email
    Pop up Block: Hello All, I am trying to open a link on my companies web site from my home computer. It tells me I cant because a pop up blocker is on, and I have checked that it isn't. Any pointers please ? 60820