Windows 10: Edge browser can't access LOCALHOST type of IP addresses (build 10122

Discus and support Edge browser can't access LOCALHOST type of IP addresses (build 10122 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi there same problem with EDGE (the new browser) - can't access localhost type of addresses. I use several media servers with Web interface for... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jimbo45, May 21, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Edge browser can't access LOCALHOST type of IP addresses (build 10122

Hi there

same problem with EDGE (the new browser) - can't access localhost type of addresses. I use several media servers with Web interface for controls etc.

Get around - use loopback adapter -- but why should I -- Chrome / FF / IE all work still).

I don't want to use different browsers for different applications.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 21, 2015

2. Cannot access local server via local ip in Microsoft Edge

This is completely a windows issue. You can't blatantly deny this problem as a non-windows issue. As far as I understand this is to do with the way Windows Apps are designed to connect to the internet.

I'm facing the same issue accessing local ip addresses (for local servers on the network) through Microsoft Edge, whereas the same address works on other browsers. I checked the "about:flags" and the localhost loopback is allowed.

Could anyone suggest a solution to this?

Vivek Vijayan, May 21, 2015
  3. DaveJB Win User
    Missing network protocol

I am in the process of building a Server - PHP - MySQL base for developing Webpages as .php files. I need to use the 'localhost' to view my pages. If I open any browser (I have Edge, IE11, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera) and type in http://localhost/ I find
    I cannot connect. On running a troubleshooting sequence the error message displayed is 'missing network protocol'.

I ran 'netsh int ip reset' on an elevated command prompt to try and fix this issue.

The result was this:

C:\>netsh int ip reset

Resetting Global, OK!

Resetting Interface, OK!

Resetting Unicast Address, OK!

Resetting Neighbor, OK!

Resetting Path, OK!

Resetting , failed.

Access is denied.
    Resetting , OK!

Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\>

The problem of a missing protocol was not fixed.

Can anyone help me with this problem? My thanks, .

DaveJB, May 21, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Why do you keep creating new posts about this for every new release? This is not something that's going to change, it's an inherent security feature of Universal applications that they can't access localhost, and Edge is a Universal application.

I repeat. This isn't going to change.

Mystere, May 21, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I must then have mis-understood the whole idea of the Edge Browser -- We were led to believe that IE will be replaced by Edge -- if that is indeed the case then for some people they won't have access to a properly fully functional browser.

So what IS Ms's intention regarding the future of IE -- is it to be retained or to be replaced.

That's where my confusion is coming from -- if IE IS to be retained then OK I'll do WITHOUT edge -- but if IE is going to be replaced then I want a browser that doesn't LIMIT the functionality I already have.

If EDGE won't handle LOCALHOST -- then that's fine so long as alternatives are available -- the mis-understanding came from the fact that I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) who thought that Ms was giving up on IE which would be replaced by EDGE.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 21, 2015
  6. Does it make any difference if you put your local IP in instead of using localhost

for accessing my media servers I use http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx, or does this just auto translate to localhost when entered

paulsalter, May 21, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

the addresses 127.0.0.1 don't work either -- the only way around the whole problem is to use some type of loopback adapter if you must use edge.

I'm sure this restriction will be of significance to some users -- I don't know about "Universal Apps" or whatever they call it now but surely some type of firewall or other config setting could fix this problem. I have several media servers all controlled via a WEB interface.

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 21, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

I think that if someone is going to test Edge for a website that they could have a hosing service to set the site up on and use that to test it out?? Since Edge is an app and not a pure browser I don't know it the local hose option will ever be available.

BunnyJ, May 21, 2015
  9. I was meaning the actual IP address of your machine with the media server on it, even if your are on the machine

eg
    http://192.168.0.10:8960

paulsalter, May 21, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

No go I'm afraid. Same error

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 21, 2015
  11. That's a shame *Sad

I will have the same problem as you with Edge as that's how I access my media browsers

paulsalter, May 21, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    IE will not be going away, at least any time soon. Edge is an entirely standards compliant browser, and has *zero* backwards compatibility for older browser support, as such IE will be required to be around as a backup for some time to come for sites that just won't work with a fully standards compliant browser with no backwards compatibility.

Edge will be the default browser, by default. But IE is still there, it's just hidden away in the start menu.

Mystere, May 21, 2015
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Thanks for clearing that up.

If IE will still be around for a while then that's fine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 22, 2015
  14. Umi4 Win User
    I'm glad I found this thread as I too thought IE 11 was not going to be in Windows 10 release version. I use a local proxy that I will never give up. My other browsers have zero problems with connecting through my local proxy. Spartan cannot do so even though it has the settings to set up a local proxy connection. It lets me set up my local proxy connection but then says it can't connect and suggests the problem is likely my firewall. Why are those settings there if it can't use them?

Based on this craziness, I probably will simply stay with Windows 8.0 Pro. I am doing Win 10 Preview on Hyper-V virtual machine to see if I will want to upgrade to it but evidently it would be a downgrade if Spartan is so badly crippled that it can't connect to a local proxy. My browsers of choice are all Gecko based so I seldom use IE and wouldn't use Spartan much at all but I would not want Windows 10 if IE is hidden and its future is uncertain as IE has to be used at first setup to download Fx or Pale Moon and occasionally IE has to be used on Microsoft sites and my airlines site and some others that are setup only for IE. My airlines has a new site in beta and it works only with IE as does its current website. Microsoft is cutting its nose off making the future of IE 11 on Windows 10 uncertain since it wants everyone on Windows 10 and that won't happen if only Spartan and no local proxy is available.

This is the first I have heard that browsers like Fx, Sea Monkey, Pale Moon, etc are not standards compliant. They have been always standards compliant yet they have no problems with a local proxy connection. Spartan should have no problems either.

15. Mystere Win User
    You misread. I did not say other browsers were not standards compliant. I said, Edge was ONLY standards compliant, and was not backwards compatible with older (non-standard) browsers. So websites that require IE8 compatibility will not work in Edge (one of the reasons the TenForums software has such problems with Edge is that it requires IE9 compatibility for Microsoft browsers, and it is trying to serve up IE9 compatible content to Edge).

Firefox, Chrome, etc.. are standards compliant, but they are also backwards compatible. Edge is not.

IE11 is not "uncertain" It will be in WIndows 10 for the foreseeable future. It just won't be the default browser, by default.

And i'm sorry, but any company making new sites that require IE today are the ones cutting their own throat...

Mystere, May 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Edge browser can't access LOCALHOST type of IP addresses (build 10122 - Similar Threads - Edge browser can't

2. Accessing localhost server via my ipv4 address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing localhost server via my ipv4 address: I'm not able to access my localhost server xampp htdocs via my ip address, what setting should be made to do so? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accessing-localhost-server-via-my-ipv4-address/fa1b5c38-073e-415c-b274-652b1bdefede
  3. 127.0.0.1 or localhost don't work, but ip address does?

127.0.0.1 or localhost don't work, but ip address does?: Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and having an odd issue that I can't resolve. My browser is Edge Chromium. I have a several programs running on my PC that use a web based interface, each running on their own port. For example, 8081 is used by SickBeard. 8082 is used by...
  4. Access set of IP addresses via Build-in VPN

Access set of IP addresses via Build-in VPN: Hi all, I have this problem at my work place: there is a trusted service that provides data, that has to be constantly received online. The only way to receive them is to connect to their VPN and use dedicated application. I was able to connect to it using build-in VPN, but...
  5. IP Addresses - Unwanted Remote Access

IP Addresses - Unwanted Remote Access: I talked to Microsoft on an issue and told them I used a wireless connection on one of my two computers. One computer uses Vista (wireless) and the other Windows 10 (through a router). Microsoft said my issue could have been caused by someone remotely accessing my computer....
  6. IP Addresses - Unwanted Remote Access

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    IP Addresses - Unwanted Remote Access: I talked to Microsoft on an issue and told them I used a wireless connection on one of my two computers. One computer uses Vista (wireless) and the other Windows 10 (through a router). Microsoft said my issue could have been caused by someone remotely accessing my computer....
  7. Build 10122 and bitdefender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Build 10122 and bitdefender: Don't try installing bitdefender on build 10122 unless you're very familiar with using safe mode. You'll get the frowny BSOD screen to greet you and a non booting machine..... 6195
  8. since build 10122

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    since build 10122: Ever since build 10122 installed, my PC has been going round and round "Checking for updates." It goes on for hours and hours. It finally ends with " There were some problems installing updates. We'll try again later. error (0x800705b4) This has been going on for a week or...
  9. Build 10122 - Activation required or not

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Build 10122 - Activation required or not: Hi there So far I haven't had any requests for activation on build 10122 - however if you look in control panell ===>system you'll see under Windows activation that the Product ID is not available. Will this version require activation (previous builds did) and if so...
  10. Dont forget EDGE CAN access Localhost type IP addresses now

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dont forget EDGE CAN access Localhost type IP addresses now: Hi there Edge has been modified so you CAN set it to access local host type of sites (at least in build 10240). This was mentioned a while ago but just as a reminder -- many people have servers etc that have a web interface with a localhost or 127.x.x.x type of IP...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft edge cant access localhost

2. edge browser dont send local ip

3. how to type in private ip address in edge browser

4. edge browser local ip address,
  5. edge cant access ip,
  6. edge cant access to localhost,
  7. cant type in ip addressed edge,
  8. cant type in ip addresses edge,
  9. edge cant access localhost,
  10. Microsoft Edge Browser cant access network IP addresses ,
  11. universal applications edge localhost,