Windows 10: Edge browser downloads files as .txt & other problems.

Discus and support Edge browser downloads files as .txt & other problems. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Edge browser worked fine a few days ago but today I had a major headache with it, first any program I downloaded refused to download, if I retried it... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Bastet, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Bastet Win User

Edge browser downloads files as .txt & other problems.

Edge browser worked fine a few days ago but today I had a major headache with it, first any program I downloaded refused to download, if I retried it downloaded a .txt file, choosing 'save as' only gave me text as an option.
    Two: Non of my extensions now work, nothing happens.
    Three: Upon opening the page crashes & reopens.
    Do I need to reinstall AU or is it a wider problem?
    I use IE usually but was getting used to Edge.
    I have run sfc & no problems found. Also run chkdsk & ok there.

:)

Bastet, Aug 10, 2016

2. Microsoft Edge - Downloads

It's even worse - if the file isn't something Edge decides you're allowed to download, you can't download it at all.

There is no way I can see to, for instance, download a simple .txt file.

You can open it in the browser, but there is no way to save the displayed file.

That they would release something lacking the most absolutely basic functionality as the default browser should cost whole teams their jobs...

David_Casper, Aug 10, 2016
  3. peterh337 Win User
    peterh337, Aug 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, Do you have any usable system restore points?
    Have you been using disk imaging (as is very strongly recommended here)? If so, can you restore an appropriate image?

It sounds as if several things may have gone wrong. If neither of the options above is available, you might just try an in-place upgrade repair install (basic information in the Tutorial section).

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  5. Bastet Win User
    Yes to both. Am currently trying a system restore. Will post back with an update.

Bastet, Aug 10, 2016
  6. Bastet Win User
    Update: system restored to 4 days ago problem still occurred. Ran AU reinstall & all OK.

Bastet, Aug 10, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Ok, keep a simple of log of any changes you make, watch for any recurrence.
    Meanwhile, start using disk imaging so you've a base image starting with a working configuration you're happy with.
    Macrium Reflect (free) e.g. + its boot medium + storage for image backups

dalchina, Aug 11, 2016
  8. Bastet Win User

Already image & clone with Macrium, latest image was a day old so had the problem, previous image was pre AU, as I'd have to download AU again I thought in-place repair would be the better option. Fixed a couple of other minor niggles too. *Smile
    I suspect what caused it (a temp file cleaner recommended on an well known anti malware program site for helping with problems with their product) & will keep well away in future.

Bastet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Edge browser downloads files as .txt & other problems. - Similar Threads - Edge browser downloads

2. files download as a txt automaticaly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    files download as a txt automaticaly: helloI'm trying to make a Minecraft server but the server file on the Minecraft website downloads as a txt.I don't know how to fix it and I cant fin any videos on the fix....
  3. files download as a txt automaticaly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files download as a txt automaticaly: helloI'm trying to make a Minecraft server but the server file on the Minecraft website downloads as a txt.I don't know how to fix it and I cant fin any videos on the fix....
  4. TXT FILES PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    TXT FILES PROBLEM: Hello there my SSD disk broken from power suply and i had another one. I put the new one and i put the windows 10 i had buy.I let windows to update many times now and after 2 weeks i opened some txt files i had in second disk but the outcome is that i cant read it. I suppose...
  5. TXT FILES PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TXT FILES PROBLEM: Hello there my SSD disk broken from power suply and i had another one. I put the new one and i put the windows 10 i had buy.I let windows to update many times now and after 2 weeks i opened some txt files i had in second disk but the outcome is that i cant read it. I suppose...
  6. TXT FILES PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. GIFs saving as .txt files on browsers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GIFs saving as .txt files on browsers: Hi. I'm going out of my mind. I've run scans as an administrator through command prompts, shut off my extensions, browsed for malware, viruses, etc., and I'm at a loss. Whenever I right-click on a GIF to save it and choose Save As Image, it comes up as a .txt file opening...
  8. GIFs saving as .txt files on browsers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GIFs saving as .txt files on browsers: Hi. I'm going out of my mind. I've run scans as an administrator through command prompts, shut off my extensions, browsed for malware, viruses, etc., and I'm at a loss. Whenever I right-click on a GIF to save it and choose Save As Image, it comes up as a .txt file opening...
  9. GIFs saving as .txt files on browsers

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Edge will not download other browser options correctly .

in Browsers and Email
    Edge will not download other browser options correctly .: Every time I try to download other browsers "Edge" comes back with a message "it couldn't be downloaded" and then when I retry I often get incomplete results with an "htm" on the end. Any ideas Thanks 23414