Windows 10: Edge Browser hijack scam

Discus and support Edge Browser hijack scam in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Last night I got the scam where the Browser (Edge) is locked and a message pops up saying to call a number. There is a computerised voice telling me I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jeddie, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Jeddie Win User

Edge Browser hijack scam

Last night I got the scam where the Browser (Edge) is locked and a message pops up saying to call a number. There is a computerised voice telling me I have a problem.

I can open Explorer ok and am using it to type this. I ran AV (Defender & MBAM) but nothing came up.
    I disconnected my router and went back to Edge and I seemed to be able to clear that scam page. But did not connect the modem.

Today
    Connected modem & downloaded ADwcleaner. It found nothing except for the following;

Is it ok to delete this registry stuff?
    ***** [ Registry ] *****
    Key Found: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.Protector
    Key Found: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.Protector.1
    Key Found: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.ProtectorBho
    Key Found: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.ProtectorBho.1
    Key Found: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.ProtectorLib
    Key Found: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.ProtectorLib.1
    Key Found: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.Protector
    Key Found: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.Protector.1
    Key Found: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.ProtectorBho
    Key Found: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.ProtectorBho.1
    Key Found: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.ProtectorLib
    Key Found: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.ProtectorLib.1
    Key Found: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{C168639F-5810-4EC8-B1E8-0251AA8A771C}

***** [ Web browsers ] *****
    No malicious Firefox based browser items found.
    No malicious Chromium based browser items found.

:)

Jeddie, Oct 19, 2016

2. Windows Security Alert

This is a scam do not reply. Can Hijack your browser also.

RogerPrzybys, Oct 19, 2016
  3. Can't close Edge- Message to call a number for help, to get off this web site

Close Edge with Task Manager and then open it indirectly by just doing a Web search in the Search box. You should then have the Tech Support Scam page plus a search result page. Don’t touch either one of those pages – go directly to the menu icons
    in the upper right corner and click on the Hub menu icon (it looks like three lines of text) to see if it will open.

If the menu icons are still locked up, then you might want to try disconnecting from the internet:

http://malwarefixes.com/fixing-a-hijacked-edge-browser/

GreginMich, Oct 19, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Edge Browser hijack scam

Yep - get rid of that stuff.

simrick, Oct 20, 2016
  5. Jeddie Win User
    Thanks Simrick.

I just cleaned it. Went back to Edge and it opens ok. The hijack crap is gone.

Anything else I need to do?

Jeddie, Oct 20, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    simrick, Oct 20, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    That's because what you were experiencing wasn't actually a virus, or malware per se. It was just a web page that makes clever use of javascript to prevent you from navigating away. Of course, when you kill the browser, it just reopens the same page and you're back to where you were.

What you did is exactly the correct thing, disconnect the computer from the internet, kill the browser, then reopen it. Since it can't now reach the page, it just gives you an error and no javascript executes, so you can close it out and you're good after that. No viruses, no malware.

While It looks like you had some other malware on there, they weren't related to the page you saw. That's strictly an annoying page. FYI, there exists similar hijack pages for most (if not all) of the major browsers.

Mystere, Oct 20, 2016
  8. Edge Browser hijack scam

Jeddie,

One more program for you, it complments ADWCleaner, which you already ran.

Please proceed to:
    Downloading Junkware Removal Tool
    Save it to the Desktop

Temporarily shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.

Right-click on JRT.exe and select: Run as Administrator
    Press any key to launch the scan, and let it finish.

Once the scan completes, a report called JTR.txt opens on the Desktop.

Please copy/paste the content of the JTR.txt in your reply.

cottonball, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Edge Browser hijack scam

1. Edge Browser hijack scam - Similar Threads - Edge Browser hijack

2. Browser Hijackers

in Browsers and Email
    Browser Hijackers: I have searched the internet for three days now using my cellphone because the three browsers on my desktop are hijacked by taboola orrecp.mkt 81 or a few others. I have used, as suggested, "Hi-Jack This"---"Malwarebytes"---an three others. These bad apps cannot be found...
  3. Browser Hijacker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser Hijacker: Recently found all google searches on my preferred browser ending up with yahoo search results on my Windows 10 desktop. Checked all software for latest updates, ran full Defender scan, but could not restore the Google search engine. Finally stumbled across this piece of...
  4. browser hijacker

browser hijacker: https://operateeditfind.info/search_web.php?q=juice&uid=71e51036-9c7c-4578-ef6bc94560e9&rnd=1&themeIndex=1002&b=firefox&bv=69&secret=ketica_ff_ext_avg&source=1 I'm using an HP Netbook and running Windows 8.1 I keep getting redirected to yahoo.com when I use my default...
  5. Browser hijack

in Windows 10 Customization
    Browser hijack: Hi whenever I open a page from within an app my default browser which is almost advert free is bypassed and microsofts advert fest Edge is used instead. Edge is pretty much unusable to me as I despise being forced to view adverts also I dislike the search engine which I have...
  6. Browser hijacker

Browser hijacker: How do I know if I've got a browser hijacker? And why do I keep getting calls saying my computer is in danger? Supposingly from microsoft agent....
  7. Can't get rid of browser hijack in Edge.

in Browsers and Email
    Can't get rid of browser hijack in Edge.: Got hit with a drive by browser hijack which has set my Edge start page to Yahoo Search - Web Search It also disabled the Home button and changed my default search from Google to Yahoo. I tried the Edge reset powershell script. That failed. Microsoft Edge - Reset to...
  8. Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE)

Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE): Hi Folks Be extra careful currently as there is STILL a problem in security with IE11 and Edge which can allow "unscrupulous" users to hijack your browser / do other nasty things - and currently NO A/V software can protect against this. BE VERY CAREFUL if using IE11 /...
  9. java update hijacked edge browser

in Browsers and Email
    java update hijacked edge browser: A older java update has hijacked my edge browser and I cant get rid of the page asking to update. 20004
  10. Edge Hijacking?

Edge Hijacking?: Is this a highjacking? Did scans with Defender, Mbam, Adwcleaner and Hitman Pro, which none detected. Could not open Edge without it appearing. Finally solved with a backdated recovery. 22737

Users found this page by searching for:

1. edge hijacked by scam page