Windows 10: Edge/Explorer freezes up windows when I plug in second monitor

Discus and support Edge/Explorer freezes up windows when I plug in second monitor in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, Every I plug in a second monitor, the monitor works, but then windows edge freezes up and creates a do-loop that prevents me from seeing the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by tisacco, Aug 28, 2017.

1. tisacco Win User

Edge/Explorer freezes up windows when I plug in second monitor

Hello,
    Every I plug in a second monitor, the monitor works, but then windows edge freezes up and creates a do-loop that prevents me from seeing the start menu or opening anything other than what is on the screen. I have looked at the event log and this is what it says:
    MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe
    595f2577
    ntdll.dll
    a329d3a8
    cfffffff
    00000000000000a5ef4
    33b8
    01d31ffca73261c8
    c:/windows/systemapps/microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/microsoftedgecp.exe

Is there anything I can do to stop microsoft edge from creating this huge issue when I plug in second monitor?

:)

tisacco, Aug 28, 2017
  2. TC(2) Win User

Every time I plug in a second monitor, Microsoft Edge freezes up the computer and I can't get to the start menu.

I have tried both of these things and I still can not use my monitor without it freezing up windows explorer. Once I plug in the monitor, it completely freezes up windows explorer and I can't get to my start menu AND it uses a ton of CPU usage. I am still
    able to use both my laptop screen and second monitor, but only with what is opened when I plug in the second monitor.

Please keep in mind that I was able to use a second monitor with no problems prior to a Microsoft update I did back in August. That is when this problem started. I am on my second second monitor because I thought perhaps the problem was with the additional
    monitor so I got a new one. The same exact problem exists with the brand new monitor.

There is something going on with Windows Explorer. Can I do something to repair this program?

TC(2), Aug 28, 2017
  3. Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 constantly crashes and freezes

Original title: Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10

Internet Explorer 11 is very erratic, takes almost 30 seconds to start up as against Edge 2 seconds, It constantly crashes and freezes, can someone at Microsoft tell me what is going on as I see a number of query's on the Insider page relating to the same
    problem, if Microsoft are no longer working on IE 11 then when oh when will we have Edge with facility to have add-ons.

WilliamOgilvie, Aug 28, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there, tisacco. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

I'll assume your connecting with via an HDMI port to your laptop. If so, does it work when connecting with no apps open?

Tony K, Aug 28, 2017
  5. tisacco Win User
    I am using the hdmi port on the monitor connecting to my hdmi port on laptop. Both are new because I thought that might have been the problem. This started happening a couple months ago after an update from Microsoft.

From what I have read, my only option seems to be getting rid of Edge (IE). Do you agree?

tisacco, Aug 28, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    No, I don't agree, for right now anyway. Does it work when connecting with no apps open? Then opening Edge does it freeze. Any other apps make it freeze?

Tony K, Aug 28, 2017
  7. tisacco Win User
    I don't even have IE or Edge open when I plug in the monitor. I figured out that was the problem after seeing IE blow up my CPU from task manager without me doing anything with IE.

This started happening after an update. The biggest issue is I can't get to the task bar once the monitor is plug in. I THINK it's because IE is taking so much out of the CPU that it ties up the OS so nothing else will work other than what is already open.

tisacco, Aug 28, 2017
  8. tisacco Win User

Plugging in the monitor freezes up my entire system.

This is task manager without the monitor plugged in.

Edge/Explorer freezes up windows when I plug in second monitor [​IMG]

And with it plugged in

tisacco, Aug 28, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    No, I think your problem is that either your video driver or the driver for the monitor has been borked by the update. Are the latest drivers for both installed? Do you notice any *Warning signs in Device Manager prior to or after plugging in the monitor?

Which screen is that that's turned 90°? The laptop or monitor?

BTW, which update are you speaking of? The major Creators update?

Tony K, Aug 28, 2017
  10. tisacco Win User
    Both drivers are up to date.

The sideways picture is from the monitor. I had to take a picture of it and send bc once I plug the monitor in, I can't get to any of my programs like the snipping tool I used for the first picture. The start panel just flashes like it's trying to load, but can not.

That's why I keep coming back to IE or Edge freezes up the processor.

tisacco, Aug 29, 2017
  11. tisacco Win User
    This is what shows up in Edge when I plug in the second monitor.

Attachment 150992

tisacco, Aug 29, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    I had a meeting tonight. I know you're frustrated as any of us would be.

Are you speaking of the major Creators update that this started occurring?

Before you hook up the monitor, press & hold the Windows key and press the P key > Tap on "Extend" > Hook up the monitor and what do you get?

Or

While in the Extended mode > Press & hold the WinKey and press I > Choose "System" > Tap to highlight each monitor in turn and check resolutions and other settings.

Tony K, Aug 29, 2017
  13. tisacco Win User

I tried both suggestions and the monitor is working fine but the same problem persists.

The other monitor works fine, it's that I can't get to anything on the start menu because it just flashes on and off and won't load.

And the only thing that has changed when I plug in the monitor is Internet explorer usage on the CPU even if it's not open when I plug in the monitor.

And then I went to task manager and ended the Windows Explorer task and the start menu when away completely.

tisacco, Aug 29, 2017
  14. tisacco Win User
    This is from the event log:

tisacco, Aug 29, 2017
  15. Tony K Win User
    Ok. Let's slow down a bit. I'm getting confused. Are you saying that both monitors work fine until you open Start (menu). aka Push the Windows key?

Don't confuse Windows Explorer with Internet Explorer. That Explorer you see in Task Manager is Windows Explorer working in the background and is the backbone of the system.

Check to see if you're in Tablet Mode. Open Settings app > System > Tablet mode. Make appropriate setting changes.

Tony K, Aug 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Edge/Explorer freezes up windows when I plug in second monitor - Similar Threads - Edge Explorer freezes

2. Second monitor freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor freezing: My second monitor freezes when I try to do something on it. Won’t unfreeze unless i click on my main monitor. Also have an issue where sometimes my second monitor is black but I can see my cursor. Graphics card is RTX 4060...
  3. Second monitor freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second monitor freezing: My second monitor freezes when I try to do something on it. Won’t unfreeze unless i click on my main monitor. Also have an issue where sometimes my second monitor is black but I can see my cursor. Graphics card is RTX 4060...
  4. Second monitor freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor freezing: My second monitor, a sony smart tv KD-43X80J stopped displaying properly after a recent driver update. It will just freeze and display the image that was on screen and flicker like that and the only way i have found to temporarily fix it, is to change the refresh rate...
  5. Second monitor freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second monitor freezing: My second monitor, a sony smart tv KD-43X80J stopped displaying properly after a recent driver update. It will just freeze and display the image that was on screen and flicker like that and the only way i have found to temporarily fix it, is to change the refresh rate...
  6. Second monitor connect when the second monitor turn off. when i plug on the monitor, second...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Second monitor connect when the second monitor turn off. when i plug on the monitor, second...: i dont waht really going on. when my second montiro turn off and didnt connect to power source . my leptop detected the second monitor [ATTACH] but the name Generic PnP Monitor not the monitor type. and then i plug the monitor to power resource, the windows wont recognize...
  7. Laptop locks after 30 seconds when plugged into a monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop locks after 30 seconds when plugged into a monitor: I will literally give gold to anyone who can solve this problem, it's so annoying and no one's been able to solve it yet. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad and it's running Windows 10 Pro. For some reason, when it's plugged into a monitor, after 30 seconds of inactivity my screen...
  8. ASUS FX505 distorted display when second monitor is plugged in

in Windows 10 Support
    ASUS FX505 distorted display when second monitor is plugged in: Hi, I have an ASUS FX505 laptop. When an external monitor is attached, everything's fine... until I use "Extended display" mode. Laptop display (the main one) gets distorted and shifted while secondary display looks ok. Please, I would appreciate it if you can help me....
  9. random inputs when second monitor is plugged in to laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    random inputs when second monitor is plugged in to laptop: I have a Dell G5 laptop and the specs are: I7-9750 16gb ram 1tb SSD Nvidia 6gb gtx 1660Ti and I have just plugged in a second monitor as an extension, but random inputs keep happening. for example, I would open up a game like for honor and it keeps opening the menu and...
  10. Windows 10 Freezing when plugging in 2nd monitor.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 Freezing when plugging in 2nd monitor.: So to start this off earlier today I overclocked my 2nd 60 Hz monitor to a refresh rate of 72 HZ which was stable and I was playing games throughout the day. I left my PC alone for a bit and as expected I came back to it in sleep mode, when I attempted to wake it up by moving...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer freezing up after i added a second monitor

2. second monitor wont start up and computer freezes when i plug it in?