Windows 10: Edge freezing when I access some bookmark folders

Discus and support Edge freezing when I access some bookmark folders in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; When I click on some bookmarks folders, Edge freezes and I have to close it and then open it again. This only started happening about a month ago. So,... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by bbrockva, Dec 3, 2017.

1. bbrockva Win User

Edge freezing when I access some bookmark folders

When I click on some bookmarks folders, Edge freezes and I have to close it and then open it again. This only started happening about a month ago. So, I can't access some of my bookmarks anymore. All other functions seem to be working OK.

:)

bbrockva, Dec 3, 2017

2. Does Edge browser have a bookmark manager?

This answer is pointless and does not address the question: how to manage bookmarks once they are imported to edge.

I find no way in edge to move bookmarks from one folder to another, to sort bookmark folders or contents, or to move folders in or out of folders.

Outside of edge, I can find the bookmarks file when I search through files but it doesn't seem to match the actual bookmarks used by edge, i.e., I put a bookmark folder named "test" in the bookmarks while using edge. But that "test" folder didn't show in
    the bookmarks files under program files.

Very clumsy program from a company doing this forever - seem to have thrown away all the useful for something utterly maddening.

CatherineMcBride, Dec 3, 2017
  3. Jaberwoc Win User
    IE 11 on Windows 10 crash but not on Windows 7

I'm experiencing a similar issue with IE-11 on Win-10pro. Other browsers function correctly (Edge, Firefox), but IE-11 freezes when I attempt to access the bookmarks menu. I've changed no settings - clean install of Win-10pro a week ago due to new system
    configuration. All seems to function perfectly otherwise - no issues. Tried all steps listed with no effect, but did not use 'delete personal settings' option on reset (it's a pain to put all that info back into the browser). All updates are current and
    not having other issues... any other suggestions?

UPDATE - It seems that it is simply taking a really long time for IE-11 to 'load' the bookmarks menu, for some unknown reason. After further attempts, I find that the bookmark menu will respond if I'm patient for a bit after starting the browser. On my
    first attempt to access the bookmarks after starting IE, I get the 'spinning wheel' for about 30 seconds or so until the bookmark responds. After that, it seems to respond normally for the remainder of the time I have the browser open. Each time I restart
    IE, it exhibits the same behavior - bookmark menu freezes when accessed until I click on something, then a spinning wheel, then normal response afterwards. No behavior like this with other browsers. Edge responds perfectly.

Jaberwoc, Dec 3, 2017
  4. Edge freezing when I access some bookmark folders

Hi bbrockva. Welcome to the TenForums @bbrockva

Have you tried clearing your browsing data? Before doing so ensure you know your passwords for sites that you auto log into.

There is no need to delete your "passwords" as part of the clearing however some sites are using cookies to log you in. These should be cleared. I would delete History, Cookies and Temporary files.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 4, 2017
Thema:

Edge freezing when I access some bookmark folders

1. Edge freezing when I access some bookmark folders - Similar Threads - Edge freezing access

2. Updating Edge Bookmarks and Favicons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updating Edge Bookmarks and Favicons: I recently had to replace my hard drive and I am trying to load the Favicons file from my old user directory and get Error "0x800704C8 This operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open". I was able to move the bookmark file so all my bookmarks show...
  3. Updating Edge Bookmarks and Favicons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updating Edge Bookmarks and Favicons: I recently had to replace my hard drive and I am trying to load the Favicons file from my old user directory and get Error "0x800704C8 This operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open". I was able to move the bookmark file so all my bookmarks show...
  4. Updating Edge Bookmarks and Favicons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Extension & bookmark file(s) in folder, but nothing appears on Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    Extension & bookmark file(s) in folder, but nothing appears on Edge?: I'm currently having a dilemma. When checking C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Profile 1, all the files that I need are there & even appears to be how I left it before this happened with Edge. However, currently, none of it seems to be registering...
  6. Edge browser bookmark in new folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge browser bookmark in new folder: when i try to create a new folder to save a book mark in the edge browser. It will not allow me to rename the new folder. I first choose mobile book marks and then when i try create a new sub folder it will not allow me to rename by right clicking the new folder How do i...
  7. Search Edge Bookmarks

in Browsers and Email
    Search Edge Bookmarks: Does anyone know how to open the Bookmarks folder in Edge and how to search the bookmarks ? Thanks in advance. Alan 53399
  8. Edge bookmarks disapearing

in Browsers and Email
    Edge bookmarks disapearing: I tried importing bookmarks directly from Chrome and tried importing from a file and get the same result with both. I have re-installed Windows Creators several times and still get the same results. Cleared everything from Edge and start over, same result. When I first...
  9. Change order of bookmarks in Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    Change order of bookmarks in Edge?: Is there any way to change the order of the bookmarks in Edge? I can't seem to drag and drop anymore. Matt 14442
  10. Edge Bookmarks

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Bookmarks: How do I save my bookmarks in edge to transfer to another computer. I want my same setting if possible on another computer. Thanks 31196