Windows 10: Edge is default but things open in IE

Discus and support Edge is default but things open in IE in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi. I'm using W10 and have Edge as the default browser (I also use Chrome and Firefox). Some programs are automatically opening in Internet Explorer... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by sbetty, Oct 2, 2015.

1. sbetty Win User

Edge is default but things open in IE

Hi. I'm using W10 and have Edge as the default browser (I also use Chrome and Firefox). Some programs are automatically opening in Internet Explorer such as when I open Google+ photos or when software updates and shows what has changed on its website. Any ideas how to change this so it all opens up in Edge please? Many thanks.

:)

sbetty, Oct 2, 2015
  2. PJH#.- Win User

Can I remove Edge and go back to IE11 on W10?

Hi, you can go to your taskbar search for default apps and change your browser in the list. Just click on Edge and when it opens click IE11 and set it as default.

My problem is you can't import your favorites from Edge to IE. Microsoft always makes things difficult when they should be so simple.

PJH#.-, Oct 2, 2015
  3. Kiriander Win User
    Start menu web search opens IE instead of Edge

Since 1607 (still feels odd, it came out in August but claims to be from July), my start menu search opens IE. When I give it the direct URL (www.microsoft.com), it nicely opens Edge
    with that URL. But when I search, i.e. typing "gravity puzzle" and hit "Web search", IE pops open with Bing.

Edge is set as the default browser already.

Tried so far: Setting IE and then Edge as the default browser, restoring Microsoft defaults. Neither helped.

Kiriander, Oct 2, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you might want to try the old control panel, Default Programs, Set your default programs, and set the program you're interested in to handle all possible file types and protocols.

I found that for Firefox I had to do that as it then set it as default for some things using the Win 10 Settings screen clearly hadn't set it as default for.

dalchina, Oct 3, 2015
  5. sbetty Win User
    Thanks. I believe you can't set Edge as the default for certain things so I've moved over to Chrome.

sbetty, Oct 17, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    Sometimes it's not the browser's fault but how Web pages are coded/written. I have hit a few pages on Microsoft that wouldn't open in any browser but IE, some banks are doing the same.

Berton, Oct 17, 2015
  7. sbetty Win User
    This is true, but if you look on the default setting page there aren't as many options for Edge as for IE, which means things just won't open in it...yet.

sbetty, Oct 17, 2015
  8. Edge is default but things open in IE

How I done mine was Control Panel
    Program & Features
    Then go to Turn Window Features on or off
    Find IE11 and uncheck it
    That is how I got rid of mine and I get to photo and one drive etc

hTconeM9user, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Edge is default but things open in IE - Similar Threads - Edge default things

2. IE Yahoo Email logon automatically opens Edge? :(

in Browsers and Email
    IE Yahoo Email logon automatically opens Edge? :(: . *Eek Today on this laptop, I opened IE and tried to log into yahoo mail. I had just yesterday been forced to accept win 10 ver 2004 (autodownloaded and installed) and now am unable to access yahoo mail without it automatically opening edge (with IE saying this website...
  3. Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower

in Browsers and Email
    Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower: Hello everybody, Because of a lot of legacy websites which only support Internet Explorer, IE is still the default browser on all of our machines. However, I need to add a shortcut on the deskop of a few users to a website which only supports Edge. So far, I've found two...
  4. Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower

in Windows 10 Support
    Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower: Hello everybody, Because of a lot of legacy websites which only support Internet Explorer, IE is still the default browser on all of our machines. However, I need to add a shortcut on the deskop of a few users to a website which only supports Edge. So far, I've found two...
  5. google and youtube not open in IE 11 and EDGE.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    google and youtube not open in IE 11 and EDGE.: I recently installed internet explorer 11 on my PC. My system uses windows 10. I cannot open search engine page (Google and youtube) Does anyone know why or how I can fix this? Now I live in china boundary! Thanks...
  6. Edge and IE 11

in Browsers and Email
    Edge and IE 11: When I open Edge, it always goes to the last page I was on. I want to set a Home Page and have it open on the Home Page every time. How do I do that? How do I get the IE icon on the Taskbar? 120659
  7. IE not edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  8. IE not edge

in Windows 10 Support
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  9. IE or Edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE or Edge: which is better to use Edge or IE sorry i'm a bit confused are they the same but different or are they just different why did MS keep both 20303
  10. How to reset IE as default browser instead of Edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to reset IE as default browser instead of Edge: Hi there I can't use EDGE as my default browser as I have a few media servers and as has been pointed out that as EDGE is a universal app addresses like 127.0.0.1:8000 (i.e localhost type stuff) are no longer addressable. I need these types of addresses to use the web...