Windows 10: Edge loses control and will not close

Discus and support Edge loses control and will not close in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Frequently (more often than not) when I click on the "X" to close Edge it will not do anything. I have to Right click on the Edge icon on the task bar... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by fireberd, Nov 29, 2015.

1. fireberd Win User

Edge loses control and will not close

Frequently (more often than not) when I click on the "X" to close Edge it will not do anything. I have to Right click on the Edge icon on the task bar to close it.

I didn't notice this in early Preview versions but it has become more pronounced with the 1511 version.

:)

fireberd, Nov 29, 2015

2. EDGE will not close down

Wungraileng - I encountered (and still am) this problem when I got a popup wanting me to install Java from 103finestdownloads. My only choice with this popup is OK. I cannot close the window or do anything with Edge unless I go through Cortana. I have
    run a McAfee quick scan with no results, am currently running a full scan, and cleared browsing history. The latter didn't work. My computer is not locked--only Edge (unless I go through Cortana to open Edge) is not responding.

Hope this helps.

Curt Griffith

CurtisGriffith, Nov 29, 2015
  3. EDGE will not close down

Thank you for this reply. Answer 1: no specific task; answer 2: yes, the computer froze and we had to do a restart.

I have deleted the browser history in EDGE as you suggested and, so far, this seems to have cured the problem.

Many thanks

KenJMatthews, Nov 29, 2015
Thema:

Edge loses control and will not close

1. Edge loses control and will not close - Similar Threads - Edge loses control

2. Maximised window loses edge of page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maximised window loses edge of page: HiI noticed this today, and as far as I know, this was not the case pre latest update.This site uses horizontally scrolling thumbnails, scrolled by clicking on chevrons at edges of page. When not maximised, everything is OK but when maximised, the left edge of the page is...
  3. Maximised window loses edge of page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Maximised window loses edge of page: HiI noticed this today, and as far as I know, this was not the case pre latest update.This site uses horizontally scrolling thumbnails, scrolled by clicking on chevrons at edges of page. When not maximised, everything is OK but when maximised, the left edge of the page is...
  4. Edge keeps closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge keeps closing: My Edge in my Windows11 computer keeps closing when in use. I have upgraded my Windows from Win 10 to 11 before and Edge is working fine. 2 days ago I cant use it properly since it keeps on closing. Playing with one tab or more it will close no matter what and while using it....
  5. Edge keeps closing

Edge keeps closing: My Edge in my Windows11 computer keeps closing when in use. I have upgraded my Windows from Win 10 to 11 before and Edge is working fine. 2 days ago I cant use it properly since it keeps on closing. Playing with one tab or more it will close no matter what and while using it....
  6. edge closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    edge closing: Edge closing unexpectedly and there is a Restore button. When I push it, it goes away. Its kind of annoying and I dont want it that way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-closing/9b27d03c-861f-4fe2-917c-3775a451244e
  7. edge closing

edge closing: Edge closing unexpectedly and there is a Restore button. When I push it, it goes away. Its kind of annoying and I dont want it that way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-closing/9b27d03c-861f-4fe2-917c-3775a451244e
  8. losing control over remote controlled PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    losing control over remote controlled PC: sometimes i lose mouse & keyboard control over remote controlled PC (Windows 10 home edition, my home PC). most of the time remote control works fine, but if i open certain applications on the remote controlled PC (e.g. windows task manager, system settings, some 3rd party...
  9. Edge closes unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Edge closes unexpectedly: My web browser Edge opens but closes unexpectedly and it is annoying that you are doing some research and it suddenly closes. How could that problem be solved with Edge?...
  10. Edge not closing

in Browsers and Email
    Edge not closing: I have windows 10 professional. Microsoft Edge is not closing properly. I press x and nothing happens. I have to use task manager to close edge. I can browse pages and some functions work. others dont, like i cannot open a new window and No history is being saved either....