Windows 10: Edge, Microsoft News and Store don't work unless using VPN - all other browsers and apps...

Discus and support Edge, Microsoft News and Store don't work unless using VPN - all other browsers and apps... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Within the last two weeks (I'm on Win10 Fast Ring, but it isn't to do with a recent update as both my machines are on the latest 17713 build and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kevsteroony, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Edge, Microsoft News and Store don't work unless using VPN - all other browsers and apps...

Hi,

Within the last two weeks (I'm on Win10 Fast Ring, but it isn't to do with a recent update as both my machines are on the latest 17713 build and the other one works just fine) - now Edge and News and Store (possibly other MS apps) no longer work UNLESS I'm connected via VPN...

I've checked IPv4/6 settings, DNS settings, tried resetting/repairing Edge all sorts - but to no avail - I can now only browse or use the other apps when I have a VPN connection....

Please advise any further troubleshooting that I can do - Internet Explorer and Chrome work as expected, as does Outlook windows client.

Thanks
    Kevin

:)

Kevsteroony, Jul 25, 2018
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft is developing a built-in ad blocker for its Edge browser

"One of the first browser add-ons many people install to improve their online experience is Adblock Plus or something similar. Until recently, Microsoft Edge's lack of support for add-ons put off a lot of would-be users, but reports from Build 2016 suggest that native ad blocking is on its way to the Internet Explorer successor.

Adblock Plus is coming to Edge, but built-in ad blocking would negate the need for such an add-on. A slide shown off and snapped at a Build presentation shows that the next version of Edge, in response to user feedback, will feature ad blocking capabilities. There's no word on delivery timescale, but the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update would seem a likely candidate.

ZDNet's Ed Bott photographed the slide which shows Microsoft's development roadmap built around feedback from testers. Right at the top of the list is reference to plans to create a plugin and extension store for Edge, but it's entry number four that's more intriguing.

"Build ad blocking features into the browser" is listed as a Feature Request from users. But the good news is that it is not only listed as being "Deliverable 4682811", but as "Targeted for the next version".

This will no doubt come as good news for those who have fallen in love with Edge, but it's not something that will be welcomed by the likes of Adblock Plus. It does seem that, particularly in the mobile arena, there is a move to baking ad blocking into the browser so it makes sense that Microsoft is following the trend. But it is the fact that Edge straddles Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 10 Mobile that makes this a particularly interesting move.

Keep an eye out for Insider builds in the coming weeks as the feature may be just around the corner.
    "

Forget extensions, built-in ad blocking is coming to Microsoft Edge - [UPDATE... no it's not!]

P4-630, Jul 25, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft’s Edge browser may be storing private browsing data

Read more: Microsoft's Edge browser may be storing private browsing data | The Verge

Brink, Jul 25, 2018
  4. Edge, Microsoft News and Store don't work unless using VPN - all other browsers and apps...

Microsoft Edge and Windows Store inaccessible with my VPN program off

Hi

I spent all day (literally) troubleshooting this and drew a blank.

Basically, my first time using Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Store after installing the Win10 Creators Update, I was connected to Windscribe VPN program (including disabling IPV6 and restarting first).

Now Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Store won’t connect to the Internet (get DNS?) when Windscribe VPN is off. And that’s even when their firewall/kill switch is off and the rest, see below.

All other program connections/browsers work fine with the VPN off. And everything works fine with the VPN connected.

Unfortunately, I have no working system restore points or backups!

Edge says: Hmmm... cannot reach this page …….. Details There was a temporary DNS error. Try refreshing the page. Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

Microsoft Store says: Check your connection Microsoft Store needs to be online. It looks like you’re not.

I have tried with restarts all steps below:

• Re-enabling IPV6
    • Changing and flushing DNS on all adapters to OpenDNS and Google DNS
    • Killing the dnscache service
    • Reinstalling Windscribe
    • Resetting tcp/ip completely
    • Deleting the network adapters in device manager
    • The windows troubleshooters for networking and windows store
    • Changing windows proxy settings
    • Changing network to public/private
    • Resetting Edge
    • Reinstalling Edge in Powershell
    • Testing will all security exited
    • Looking for rules in Windows firewall
    • Testing in clean boot state
    • Testing in safe mode
    • Gggggrrrrrrr……..!

I didn’t uninstall Windscribe entirely yet because I have a 60GBpcm lifetime license off a giveaway and don’t wish to lose it.

Baffled that only Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Store are affected. Some similar posts on web with other VPNs. It’s almost like the VPN IP address got binded somehow?

I guess it is a bug then? Anyone know the fix please or can replicate?

I’ve asked Windscribe Support and they didn’t know. They say ‘Microsoft has their own weird security implemented so using a VPN can interfere with the connection to Microsoft apps and services for some reason.’

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Microsoft Store

expeditionist, Jul 25, 2018
Thema:

Edge, Microsoft News and Store don't work unless using VPN - all other browsers and apps...

1. Edge, Microsoft News and Store don't work unless using VPN - all other browsers and apps... - Similar Threads - Edge Microsoft News

2. cant use browsers other then microsoft edge on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant use browsers other then microsoft edge on windows 11: when i try to open browsers other then microsoft edge it opens and then immeditly closes i tried disableing my antivirus restarting my computer reintalling them tired setting stuff to default browser and nothing works...
  3. cant use browsers other then microsoft edge on windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant use browsers other then microsoft edge on windows 11: when i try to open browsers other then microsoft edge it opens and then immeditly closes i tried disableing my antivirus restarting my computer reintalling them tired setting stuff to default browser and nothing works...
  4. Microsoft store App not opening and all other Microsoft Apps not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store App not opening and all other Microsoft Apps not working: Today I am trying to open my MS Store But its not Opening , and all other Apps are not to opening ,I am trying to open , but it not Works . Please its Request to Solve my Problem, Requesting u to solve this problem Fast . THANK YOU TO, TEAM MICROSOFT...
  5. microsoft news don't work

microsoft news don't work: Microsoft news ne fonctionne pas sous Windows 10 2004; l'appli s'ouvre et se ferme aussitôt. Merci pour votre aide. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-news-dont-work/2549eb8d-5590-4f85-8a0c-86a49b8f0ac5
  6. I can only use Edge and no other browsers work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can only use Edge and no other browsers work: So i can only use edge and no other browser work, as soon as i open it it crashes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-only-use-edge-and-no-other-browsers-work/f05754e1-ec2a-4e74-b922-951703b72c20
  7. Microsoft Store and apps don't work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Store and apps don't work: Around a month ago, I noticed that the microsoft store and the apps weren't working. When I try to open them, they close after a few seconds they were opened. I tried many powershell and command prompt solutions, but they didn't work. I also tried wsreset.exe, but it did not...
  8. Using VPN but dont want to use that IP on other Browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using VPN but dont want to use that IP on other Browser: Hey guys, I am using VPN and I want to use VPN IP on my chrome for email checking purpose but dont want to use on Firefox because I use to surfing on that. Any clue ? Regards. *Smile 116954
  9. Microsoft Edge vs other browsers

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge vs other browsers: Hi guys, As a long time Firefox user and endorser, due to some nice features it has I am a bit reluctant to recommend EDGE to users trying to get the most out of their CPU but it seems Microsoft has actually done it right with EDGE. For some reason, maybe code, maybe...
  10. Microsoft Preinstall Apps don't work (Edge, Windows Store etc.)

Microsoft Preinstall Apps don't work (Edge, Windows Store etc.): Hi guys! I'm having this problem since yesterday, and I can't find anyone with the same problem. I have this problem where no microsoft applications work. I can't open Edge, Windows Store or Photos app. When I want to open them, there is absolutely 0 response. No...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft store doesnt work on vpn

2. microsoft edge only works through vpn. why?

3. microsoft news doesnt work with vpn

4. windows apps dont work with vpn,
  5. Edge browser doesnt connect to internet unless vpn is on,
  6. Why will the Microsoft Store only work when connected to a VPN