Windows 10: Edge not closing

Discus and support Edge not closing in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have windows 10 professional. Microsoft Edge is not closing properly. I press x and nothing happens. I have to use task manager to close edge. I can... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mab5555, Feb 25, 2017.

1. mab5555 Win User

Edge not closing

I have windows 10 professional. Microsoft Edge is not closing properly. I press x and nothing happens. I have to use task manager to close edge. I can browse pages and some functions work. others dont, like i cannot open a new window and No history is being saved either.

I have tried sfc/scannow and powershell to reinstall and re-register edge but that hasnt helped. I cleaned the browsing history too but to no avail. even tried DISM to no effect.
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

any help would be appreciated. thanks much

:)

mab5555, Feb 25, 2017
  2. skkywlk Win User

Edge Browser not closing.

After the last update, my Edge Browser won't close without going to the Task Manager. It appears that others have had the same problem, but I haven't really seen an answer that would resolve it. I finally downloaded Fire Fox and it works fine. I would
    like to be able to use the Edge Browser though. Thanks!

skkywlk, Feb 25, 2017
  3. Edge Browser not closing.

Maybe they will. But that's one of several reasons why I went back to 8.1

But I assumed you might want to keep 10 (some people actually LIKE the damned thing) so I hunted up the old screenshot of when I had 10 trying to help.

Microsoft doesn't seem to care how many dissatisfied customers they have these days. I guess they think they're too big to fail now. Others have thought that in the past.

By the way...have you noticed that when you use the Task Manager to close Edge it reopens to the page you were on NOT your home page?

CassieMorrisonMN, Feb 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Edge not closing

Hi, if it's not the effect of a 3rd party add-on, and fails similarly if you create a new user for test purposes, and is the same in Safe Mode, then I suggest your only option may be an in-place upgrade repair install, which keeps all your programs and most settings.

dalchina, Feb 27, 2017
  5. mab5555 Win User
    never mind. just learnt today Edge is quite unsafe. Some engineer at Google found out, told Microsoft 3 months ago and they havent done anything.

Google leaks bugs in Edge and Internet Explorer that Microsoft is yet to fix

Edge was slightly faster in windows 10 than Firefox but the hassles are too much. Its just not smart to have a browser that i cannot uninstall and reinstall for one.

mab5555, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Edge not closing

1. Edge not closing - Similar Threads - Edge closing

2. Why must I completely close Microsoft Edge in order to manage OneDrive files and folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why must I completely close Microsoft Edge in order to manage OneDrive files and folders?: SummaryAt work, we're not allowed to save some documents locally on our workstation C:// drives. We must save everything to OneDrive. Throughout the day, I do a lot of file/folder management. Rename documents, Move documents, Rename folders... etc. Back when I could do all...
  3. Why must I completely close Microsoft Edge in order to manage OneDrive files and folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why must I completely close Microsoft Edge in order to manage OneDrive files and folders?: SummaryAt work, we're not allowed to save some documents locally on our workstation C:// drives. We must save everything to OneDrive. Throughout the day, I do a lot of file/folder management. Rename documents, Move documents, Rename folders... etc. Back when I could do all...
  4. Why must I completely close Microsoft Edge in order to manage OneDrive files and folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. microsoft edge keeps on closing by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft edge keeps on closing by itself: What should I do and when I go out of microsoft edge the screen is black and onlt shows the taskbar and recycling bin icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-keeps-on-closing-by-itself/c52b5c4c-5c9a-4cad-bd20-90fbe2c7cc31
  6. microsoft edge keeps on closing by itself

microsoft edge keeps on closing by itself: What should I do and when I go out of microsoft edge the screen is black and onlt shows the taskbar and recycling bin icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-keeps-on-closing-by-itself/c52b5c4c-5c9a-4cad-bd20-90fbe2c7cc31
  7. microsoft edge keeps on closing by itself

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Small area top right of monitor 1 can't click, restart/close MS Edge to fix.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Small area top right of monitor 1 can't click, restart/close MS Edge to fix.: FYI. Unable to reproduce bug. Ended processes in task manager until problem disappears, found MS Edge process to be the cause. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-area-top-right-of-monitor-1-cant-click/e57c3ce8-822c-4c37-bfba-f8bfd48d2485
  9. Small area top right of monitor 1 can't click, restart/close MS Edge to fix.

Small area top right of monitor 1 can't click, restart/close MS Edge to fix.: FYI. Unable to reproduce bug. Ended processes in task manager until problem disappears, found MS Edge process to be the cause. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-area-top-right-of-monitor-1-cant-click/e57c3ce8-822c-4c37-bfba-f8bfd48d2485
  10. ms edge running even when the app is closed

ms edge running even when the app is closed: Recently, pc encountered a very strange error where ms edge keeps playing even though it's not been opened. I know that edge keeps running in the background but it keeps on starting abruptly where and everytime it starts i see youtube is running on the app and can even hear...