Windows 10: EDGE opens many tabs(30+) of same webpage on its own, SLOWS computer

Discus and support EDGE opens many tabs(30+) of same webpage on its own, SLOWS computer in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, I am using Windows 10 in HP Envy X360. I was browsing via chrome, then switched to Edge to open recent news in GOTS7E6 leaks. While browsing... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Larien, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Larien Win User

EDGE opens many tabs(30+) of same webpage on its own, SLOWS computer

Hi,

I am using Windows 10 in HP Envy X360. I was browsing via chrome, then switched to Edge to open recent news in GOTS7E6 leaks. While browsing Edge suddenly opened many many tabs, i tried to close then but there were too many, windows task bar stopped responding, computer became very slow, and few icons in the windows task bar became invisible, could only see a blue line at the bottom of the tabs in task bar.

I restarted the laptop using alt+cont+del combination. During shutdown it showed/still shows "This application is preventing you from restarting" - no names, just G. I forced the application to close. After few minutes of laptop restart EDGE opens on its own, and if I don't close it, it keeps adding new tabs of the same webpage.."google search page". I close Edge, it opens again after few minutes.

I installed Malwarebytes, Hitman pro, Superantispyware and did most thorough scan with all of them. Hitman Pro detected mostly adware tracking cookies, and one MALWARE "pdf-xchange-editor.exe", which I have deleted. Avira Antivirus full scan detected malware containing pattern of "PUA\FusionCore.ME.2", which has been removed according to Avira. I also used Windows Defender scan, sfc scannow, rescanned with all three malware detector in online and offline mode. There were no further detections, but no change in the problem as well. I have uninstalled Chrome now, seems I can't uninstall Edge. Edge has no addons and extensions, coz i barely used the browser. One time I even let Edge open as many tabs it could, went closing each to the last one however slow. But no effect.

When I restart offline, Edge doesn't open on its own, but other things happen...like the windows task bar goes unresponsive, and Windows Tip screen saying "how to connect to internet" pops again and again.

And previously I never saw my laptop system infromation screen at the startup, now it comes during booting, maybe its got to do with installed anti-malwares.

Looking forward for your advise and solutions.

Thank You

:)

Larien, Aug 17, 2017
  2. Dkocian Win User

Microsoft Edge High CPU Usage

Same problem as the rest. 17% to 30% if I open more than one tab. 2% or less with just one of the tabs open to the same webpages.

Come on Microsoft. Someone should at least give us something on this other than silence.

I tried Internet Explorer as well. Not quite as bad as Edge, but in Windows 10, it also consumes more CPU usage than it did in 8 or 7.

Dkocian, Aug 17, 2017
  3. All the apps close down on their own

Thanks Rom for the support!

After following the steps, I still face the same issue. Moreover, the Start menu starts on its own everytime. Even if my Microsoft edge is open, start menu options start popping on their own and edge keeps asking me to close all tabs.

I checked with dell support if its a hardware issue but they told me its an OS issue only.

Your quick help is much appreciated

Priyanka_2010, Aug 17, 2017
  4. Larien Win User

Forgot to mention - No recent software/program/addons installations.

Larien, Aug 17, 2017
  5. dencal Win User
    For a start you could try resetting Edge.....under web browser, click on Edge then Reset...see attachment.

dencal, Aug 17, 2017
  6. Larien Win User
    Gave it a try.... the problem still exists.

Larien, Aug 17, 2017
  7. dencal Win User
    Open Settings...Update and Security....

dencal, Aug 17, 2017
  8. Larien Win User

Thank you for the reply.

Well Reset PC was my last option...but seems like there is no other way.

Btw, I have one question. I split 1TB into 2 halves after I bought this laptop. When i reset, will it merge the partitions ? I am hoping not, but I am not sure. Its kind of Windows reset rather than factory reset right ? I mean it won't make changes to my partition D right ?

Larien, Aug 17, 2017
  9. dencal Win User
    You should be alright....It will affect only the partition in which W10 is installed.
    Reset is not the last option.....that would be a clean installation from an ISO.

dencal, Aug 17, 2017
  10. Larien Win User
    Well I did the PC reset.....without keeping the previous settings and apps. I couldn't prevent the first Windows Update after installation. The problem still exists though.

Btw I am using Windows 10 Home Version 1703. My laptop never displayed laptop system information during booting, now even after PC reset, it does.

I also removed everything inside C:\Users\Computer 1\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe.

Edge became silent, but the problem started showing in Chrome.

Uninstalled Chrome, and tried Opera, the problem appears in Opera.

And when it happens the windows task bar and its tabs don't respond. In Opera it opened like 60+ tabs. So every time I have to use ctrl+alt+del combo

I don't know what can be done to fix the issue.

Larien, Aug 19, 2017
  11. dencal Win User
    dencal, Aug 19, 2017
  12. Larien Win User
    Thank You for the assistance.

I will do that. And I hope it fixes the problem.

Larien, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. EDGE opens many tabs(30+) of same webpage on its own, SLOWS computer - Similar Threads - EDGE opens many

2. Computer is restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer is restarting on its own: My pc has been restarting on its own around 5–10 minutes after starting up. 99% of the time, there will not be a BSOD. The pc will NOT restart if a game is running. The way I keep my PC alive is by having a game running in the background at all times. I have removed all video...
  3. Computer is restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer is restarting on its own: My pc has been restarting on its own around 5–10 minutes after starting up. 99% of the time, there will not be a BSOD. The pc will NOT restart if a game is running. The way I keep my PC alive is by having a game running in the background at all times. I have removed all video...
  4. opening calculator on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    opening calculator on its own: HiI had Win 10 and 2-3 weeks ago Windows shutdown on its own or open the calculator or open Microsoft EdgeFirst I reset Windows but it didn't work, then I reinstalled Windows, it still didn't work, then I upgraded it to win 11, and I still have this problem. Does anyone know...
  5. opening calculator on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    opening calculator on its own: HiI had Win 10 and 2-3 weeks ago Windows shutdown on its own or open the calculator or open Microsoft EdgeFirst I reset Windows but it didn't work, then I reinstalled Windows, it still didn't work, then I upgraded it to win 11, and I still have this problem. Does anyone know...
  6. Tabs changing on its own

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tabs changing on its own: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/arry__ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kfhw69/tabs_changing_on_its_own/
  7. Microsoft Edge - Link Opens In Same Tab/Force Browser To Open New Tab

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge - Link Opens In Same Tab/Force Browser To Open New Tab: Hello, I can not find a solution to this and I was hoping someone would know the answer. I have users in my company that are complaining about a URL link opening in the same tab. This causes what they were working on to be erased. Let me provide more detail: These users are...
  8. Things opening on its own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Things opening on its own: Hi Guys! I am very disturbed by a strange problem which has started just a few days back. The things on my display are opening on it's own and it doesn't stop after one instance. I have disabled the touchpad and there's no external mouse connected. But still things on the...
  9. Internet Explorer 11 opening at start up many windows on its own

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Explorer 11 opening at start up many windows on its own: Hello, I have Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge. For the past month Internet Explorer 11 is opening at start up with many windows opening on its own. When I try to close then, I get Error Script pop up that doesn't close or solve the problem. I have not used IE in years as I...
  10. BSOD when opening many tabs in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when opening many tabs in Microsoft Edge: So I was able to recreate this issue three times already. I open many tabs in Edge that it brings my RAM usage to about 95% and naturally will get notified by Win10 that my memory consumption is high and I should close some applications to free up memory. BUT it should never...