Windows 10: Edge performance and Reliability

Discus and support Edge performance and Reliability in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Today I tried to figure out what is causing Edge to freeze a couple of minutes after first launch, for 1-2 minutes, before becoming responsive again.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by slicendice, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Edge performance and Reliability

Today I tried to figure out what is causing Edge to freeze a couple of minutes after first launch, for 1-2 minutes, before becoming responsive again. (Microsoft Edge Manager running at 100% on 1 core)

What I did, was completely disabling Cortana via reg edit. (since this can not be done in Settings anymore, after Cortana has been activated).

To my surprise, the 2 minute freeze is completely gone now.

Here is what I did in the registry:

1. Navigate to:
    Code: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search[/quote] 2. Add the following Key:
    Code: AllowCortana: as REG_DWORD(32-bit)[/quote] 3. Put the value as HEX:
    Code: 0x00000000[/quote] (0x00000001 enables Cortana again)
    4. Reboot computer ,for settings to take effect.

Voila! Issue completely gone!

For convenience I attached REG files for enabling and disabling Cortana:
    Cortana_DISABLE.reg
    Cortana_ENABLE.reg

:)

slicendice, Feb 24, 2018
  2. mmb12 Win User

Microsoft Edge-Slow Responsivness & Constant Freezing

Hi There,

Looking for resolution on how to improve Microsoft Edge performance.

I want to use Edge but find myself having to use Google Chrome more times than not due to its faster performance and reliability.

Your help and assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

mmb12, Feb 24, 2018
  3. Windows 10 updates to b.14393.351

IE11 has been stable & reliable for me although I admit I try to use Edge most of the time. It's Edge failing that causes most of my reliability problems.

Davy-Delliott, Feb 24, 2018
  4. Cliff S New Member

Edge performance and Reliability

Toni, did you try turning it off, in Edge's advanced settings first?

Edge performance and Reliability [​IMG]

Cliff S, Feb 24, 2018
  5. Cliff S New Member
    *noteI just turned it off and browsed a bit, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
    No more waiting to/for a response.*Thumbs

Cliff S, Feb 24, 2018
  6. Cliff, I killed Cortana completely, since I find it useless. Cortana does not help me be more productive in any way, it is quite the opposite and it slows everything down.

Since I killed Cortana, I don't even have that button in Edge Privacy section anymore. *Smile

slicendice, Feb 25, 2018
  7. Cliff S New Member
    It's not that I find it useless, I just ALWAYS forget to use it*Roflmao2
    (muscle memory, I either search using the Windows key, or do it from File Explorer, automatically.

Cliff S, Feb 25, 2018
  8. Edge performance and Reliability

*Roflmao2

...same here, and that is why I finally decided Cortana is useless for me. I never use that feature.

slicendice, Feb 25, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Actually...

Next time you hit the WinKey and type something to search for, pause for a moment before clicking on the search result and click the 'hamburger' settings icon top left...

...guess who found it for you *Smile

10. All I need to find via START is my apps/tools (usually I even press WIN+R and type what I need my computer to launch or do)...the rest I know where is when needed. If I need information I am already searching with Google using Chrome. Cortana finds squat (at least for my search criteria).

slicendice, Feb 25, 2018
  11. The other day I was looking through my Mobile App usage (specifically browser usage). And guess what! I use Edge for Android over 90% of the time.

That is how good and reliable Edge is at the moment. Edge works equally well for me on my PC, after I removed Cortana integration from it. *Smile

Edge still has hope! Just a minor UI fix and it would be perfect.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Edge performance and Reliability

1. Edge performance and Reliability - Similar Threads - Edge performance Reliability

2. Personalisation setting are not working in settings also with reliability performance error...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Personalisation setting are not working in settings also with reliability performance error...: Am getting update error message: There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: 0x80070643A problem caused this program to stop interacting with...
  3. "Seeking Recommendations: Reliable Industrial Adhesive Manufacturer for High-Performance...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Seeking Recommendations: Reliable Industrial Adhesive Manufacturer for High-Performance...: "Can anyone recommend a reliable industrial adhesive manufacturer that specializes in high-performance adhesives for bonding various materials? I'm looking for a solution that can withstand harsh environmental conditions and provide strong, durable bonds for industrial...
  4. Edge not performing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge not performing: microsoft tried to upgrade edge on my pc, and now i cant do anything all my files have gone the bottom bar on the screen is just a white strip there is no icons the off button is not there I have to switch off my pc by the button on the pc I can't access settings I can't do...
  5. Edge not performing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Edge not performing: microsoft tried to upgrade edge on my pc, and now i cant do anything all my files have gone the bottom bar on the screen is just a white strip there is no icons the off button is not there I have to switch off my pc by the button on the pc I can't access settings I can't do...
  6. Suggestions For a Reliable 16GB Flash Drive With Good Performance/Cost

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Suggestions For a Reliable 16GB Flash Drive With Good Performance/Cost: My wife just took delivery of a new Dell laptop. The first hurdle is to create a backup on a 16GB USB flash drive. I searched for reviews of USB 3.0 drives. An early hit suggested a drive by well known maker. I think I found the recommended product on Amazon. More than one...
  7. Edge performance delays:

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Edge performance delays:: Hi my apps are both websites & desktop apps; in Edge they are slowed down as desktop apps. Ideas? E.g. can the app ask for IE? or can the app pretend to be website? Can the app ask Edge to relent? Thanks Tom Colwill...
  8. Microsoft Edge speed/performance

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge speed/performance: I've seen several people state that they've noticed that Edge now performs better than Chrome and that they feel like it's faster. I've used Chrome as my default for years and always found it to be lightning fast. I don't find Edge to be slow necessarily, but when compared to...
  9. Microsoft Edge performance and efficiency

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge performance and efficiency: For many people who have almost exclusively used Modern and Desktop IE, do you guys notice that Microsoft Edge consumes far more RAM and much higher idle CPU usage than Modern/Desktop IE? One way to test this is to open cnn.com on both browsers one at a time and observe...
  10. Edge Stopped Working as denoted in Reliability History

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Stopped Working as denoted in Reliability History: Win10 v1703 build 15063.608 Good Afternoon: I'm running Chrome (default), Edge, and IE11 on a 64 bit Win10 laptop. I recently Clean Installed Win10. When I check Reliability History, I get a clean report for days and weeks, until I use Edge. Everyday that I use...