Windows 10: Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

Discus and support Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I've configured Edge to my correct home page. Because I live in Thailand Edge directs me to the Google Thailand page. I corrected that easily by using... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by hurricane51, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I've configured Edge to my correct home page. Because I live in Thailand Edge directs me to the Google Thailand page. I corrected that easily by using www.google.com/ncr as my home page.

However, Edge always reverts to the Thai regional search, ignoring my home page setting. I've searched high and low for a way to change this but no luck.

Am I the only user with this problem?

:)

hurricane51, Sep 24, 2015
  2. cbr600f Win User

Edge Doesn't Accept Google's Search Engine Settings

I have a problem with Edge's implementtation of Google search.

I live in Thailand and Windows 10 recognizes that. However I use the U.S. (non-regional settings for Google's web site (www.google.com/ncr).

The problem is that Edge does not let me use the non-regional search for Google search. It ALWAYS uses the Thai region to search (www.google.co.th). Since Edge doesn't permit direct entry
    of URL's in the search box, it appears I'm stuck with another search engine.

This worked in IE fine. Another example of Microsoft thinking it knows better than the user.

cbr600f, Sep 24, 2015
  3. RickAP Win User
    Microsoft Edge does not permit you to specify a starting URL

Try this:

1) Click "more actions" top right then click "settings"

2) Scroll to the bottom and click "view advanced settings"

3) On the very top I have home button shown

4) Underneath that is a box with that annoying "start page"

5) Clear it and insert what you want

6) click save

Hope this works for you. I too was annoyed. Whenever I hit the "Home" button that only worked when you launched Edge for the first time. Then I kept getting that "start page" or whatever it was.

RickAP, Sep 24, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

You need to go into Google search settings and make changes, and when/if you clean browser cookies, make sure you leave the Google ones alone, that have nothing to do with advertising:

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region [​IMG]

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region [​IMG]

Cliff S, Sep 24, 2015
  5. No go. When I look at the search engine that's current, I see Google (www.google.co.th). When I click the down arrow and click Add, sometimes I get an entry that reads www.google.com and sometimes I get no entry at all. Since I cannot edit this entry, it doesn't matter what I do (Add or Add as default), it always uses www.google.co.th.

I'm willing to reset all my Edge settings back to defaults and start over, but I can't seem to find a way.

6. Cliff S New Member
    Try nuking the browsing data(1st page in settings, middle of column).

Cliff S, Sep 24, 2015
  7. I set everything up to be cleared, but it didn't change the home page nor the search engine settings.

I'm not quite sure I understand why Microsoft just doesn't let you manually enter a URL.

8. Nielsc Win User

Hi Hurricane51, am also in Thailand with the same problem... Driving me nuts - tried registry here:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3250150214-754733858-2435700366-1001\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wek yb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\OpenSearch

Edited the binary data so it was set to Google but as soon as Edge launched it set it back to .co.th

Am still searching!

Nielsc, Oct 16, 2015
  9. I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

• Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    • Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    • Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    • Select add someone else on this PC.
    • Enter a user name and hit next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 16, 2015
  10. Nielsc Win User
    Thanks; tried number 1 but behavior the same. Search with google.com/ncr, it offers me the option to add google.com as a search provider and instantly converts it to google.co.th.

Nielsc, Oct 16, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Have you set your location settings in Google Search: https://www.google.de/preferences?hl...&fg=1#location
    You will need to allow cookies to be accepted and set, and not clean them. I you use Ccleaner or the like, make sure Googles cookies are not being wiped when you clean.

Cliff S, Oct 16, 2015
  12. Nielsc Win User
    OK found the solution, a classic workaround:

Go to US Proxy List - Free Proxy List
    Pick a proxy with SSL
    Set it as proxy in Control Panel | Internet Options | Connections | LAN Settings
    Test it by going to google.com
    If you do NOT see a "Use Google.xxxx" (xxxx is a contry-specific TLD such as .co.th, .co.uk, etc) then you can go to next step
    If you DO see a "Use Google.xxxx" (xxxx is a contry-specific TLD such as .co.th, .co.uk, etc) then try another proxy

Next step:
    Now you can follow the standard switch of search engine as per here:
    Microsoft Edge Search Engine - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Basically unless Google sees you as being in the USA it will force the localized google search engine URL on you, like it or not.

Nielsc, Oct 16, 2015
  13. lx07 Win User

Thema:

1. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region - Similar Threads - Edge Search Does

2. Changing the Windows display language on a school computer does not change the regional...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the Windows display language on a school computer does not change the regional...: I am facing a problem when changing the Windows display language on a Lenovo ThinkPad T430 supplied by the school. When I change the Windows display language for example, French Canada, the regional format does not change to match the Windows display language, it stays in...
  3. Changing the Windows display language on a school computer does not change the regional...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing the Windows display language on a school computer does not change the regional...: I am facing a problem when changing the Windows display language on a Lenovo ThinkPad T430 supplied by the school. When I change the Windows display language for example, French Canada, the regional format does not change to match the Windows display language, it stays in...
  4. Changing the Windows display language on a school computer does not change the regional...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Change region

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change region: Hi.. Why I cannot change the region in my windows 10 PC? Because its already Arabic and u want to change it in English... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-region/f891b8f9-556e-47b9-ac26-f28d8ea63ee1
  6. Edge language/region

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge language/region: So I've changed from Chrome to Edge recently. It's all nice and have no problem with transition but there's one thing that annoys the $hit out of me. Why doesn't Edge stick to the language/region settings of my system? It keeps changing to 'local' language and region...
  7. Changing region

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Changing region: Hey, I'm having problems changing the country/region when filling the shipping category. It's on USA and it won't let to change it to anything else. I'd be very glad if somebody could help....
  8. Change the Region for Microsoft Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the Region for Microsoft Edge Chromium: I live in the US but gonna move. I’d like to know how I can change the region for Microsoft Edge Chromium? MicrosoftEdge_X64_75.0.111.0 **Original Title** Microsoft Edge Chromium...
  9. Cannot change region

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cannot change region: Hi, I am trying to make a purchase in Sniper Fury. When I try to complete the transaction, it will only let me choose from a USA states and won't let me change the region to Australia. How do I fix this?...
  10. Unable to change Edge Search Engine

in Browsers and Email
    Unable to change Edge Search Engine: Settings/View Advanced Settings/Search in the address bar with/Change The only choice is Bing. I am unable to add another engine (Google). [img] I am the ONLY user. I just upgraded from W7. Any ideas? 55190