Windows 10: Edit Hosts file to fix network issues after 1803 update

Discus and support Edit Hosts file to fix network issues after 1803 update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been using and learning from these forums for years but this is my first contribution. We have a fairly extensive home network (workgroup) that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DrFrog, May 10, 2018.

1. DrFrog Win User

Edit Hosts file to fix network issues after 1803 update

I've been using and learning from these forums for years but this is my first contribution. We have a fairly extensive home network (workgroup) that currently includes four wired PCs and two wireless laptops, all running Windows 10 Pro, connected through a NetGear R7000 router. Until the recent 1709 and, especially, 1803 updates to Windows 10, all machines were sharing and transferring files just fine. Then, we started having many of the same networking issues and frustrations that are being discussed here and elsewhere. After lots of reading and trying numerous suggestions without lasting success, I finally hit upon the following process that, at least for us, is working just fine now. Items 3 and 4 are what did the trick by, I think, avoiding the flaky, erratic DNS issues.

1. Go through "Control Panel \ Programs and Features \ Turn Windows Features On or Off" to uncheck all SMBv1 items, as per MS security recommendations.

2. Run services.msc and set both "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" to automatic or automatic (delayed start).

3. Change your router setup to assign (reserve) each workgroup PC a specific IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.101, etc.). After resetting the router, each workgroup PC will have a unique Name and IP-address combination.

4. Locate the hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ and edit it with administrator privileges. For each workgroup PC add one line with the following syntax:
    IP-address Name #any optional comments or info you want
    There must be at least one space between each of the line items. For example, two such lines in my hosts file are:
    192.168.1.103 ACER #Ethernet: 30:65:EC:AF:A5:87
    192.168.1.104 HP8300 #Ethernet: C8:CB:B8:23:73:70
    The same list of IPs and Names must be in the hosts file on each PC. The file-editing can be done using Notepad with administrator privileges or automated with a specific Host File Editor (search the web for such programs).

It would be interesting to know if anyone else tries this and whether it helps or not.

:)

DrFrog, May 10, 2018
Thema:

Edit Hosts file to fix network issues after 1803 update

1. Edit Hosts file to fix network issues after 1803 update - Similar Threads - Edit Hosts file

2. Can't edit the hosts file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't edit the hosts file: I figured out a workaround: Go into Safe Mode. I was having issues with being unable to save changes because file was open in the system. There are quite a few threads about this, all of them locked now, but none seem to mention trying Safe Mode. All the complicated talks of...
  3. Can't edit the hosts file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't edit the hosts file: I figured out a workaround: Go into Safe Mode. I was having issues with being unable to save changes because file was open in the system. There are quite a few threads about this, all of them locked now, but none seem to mention trying Safe Mode. All the complicated talks of...
  4. Can't edit the hosts file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Editing and saving the Hosts file...

Editing and saving the Hosts file...: PS i need help... I am able to edit the hosts file in "etc" folder but when i save it wants to replace the hosts file and save the file as a notepad document. I had ownership before, but i removed it hoping that will solve the issue but it didn't. What is worse is that i...
  6. Can't edit host file

Can't edit host file: I can't edit the hosts file at all. I tried nearly all the solutions I found here, on Youtube and other sites and none of them worked, including the one on notepad and using cmd. I literally can't do anything with the file. I can't copy, I can't move to another location, I...
  7. Hosts file not editable after Kaspersky "desinfection"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hosts file not editable after Kaspersky "desinfection": Although I had added the etc folder to my exclusions in my Internet Security settings, Kaspersky messed with my hosts file again. In Admin mode I cannot open it, even copy it to another location - always get the "no permission" message:...
  8. Hosts file not editable after Kaspersky "desinfection"

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file not editable after Kaspersky "desinfection": Although I had added the etc folder to my exclusions in my Internet Security settings, Kaspersky messed with my hosts file again. In Admin mode I cannot open it, even copy it to another location - always get the "no permission" message:...
  9. Can't edit Hosts file

Can't edit Hosts file: In the Path system32/Drivers/etc/hosts - the file does not show up but can be opened with win+r (notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts). When i try to edit it i cant save it and when i try to replace it dosent give me permission. the host file has a bunch of video game...
  10. Lost network after 1803 update

Lost network after 1803 update: I have 2 PCs on a network Both are Windows 10 pro with 1803 update. They both worked fine on the network before the update. I get this error message on both PCs. [img] 109467

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hosts file issues

2. editing hosts file 1803

3. windows 10 1803 build local hosts

4. hosts file annivesrsay update,
  5. windows update 1803 hosts datei