Windows 10: Editing recordings from samsung Smart TV (SRF format)

Discus and support Editing recordings from samsung Smart TV (SRF format) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello! Excuse me if this is not the right place to ask, but I bet on your experience, and have nothing to lose. So here it goes: I have a Samsung... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by spapakons, Mar 18, 2016.

1. spapakons Win User

Editing recordings from samsung Smart TV (SRF format)

Hello!

Excuse me if this is not the right place to ask, but I bet on your experience, and have nothing to lose. So here it goes:

I have a Samsung LED 50" Smart TV model UE50H6200 (the full P/N printed on the sticker is UE50H6200AWXXH) which is very nice, but also very nasty when it comes to be used as PVR. As you may know it will perfectly read any FAT32 or NTFS formatted USB Flash drive or USB hard disk to play media from, but will refuse to record on these formats! To record you must format the USB Flash drive with it's own format (variant of Linux EXT4). The files produced are in SRF format and encrypted (even if the source is a Free to Air channel). The key is stored in an MDB file with the same name.

I tried the DeSTRoi application that supposedly connects to the TV via FTP and downloads the recording. Access was denied when tried to connect to the TV's IP address. It also claims to read the files from a local source, so I installed a utility, Paragon ExtFS to read the Linux EXT1/2/3/4 file systems in Windows. I managed to open the USB Flash drive and see the contents, but deSTRoi could not open the SRF files claiming they are corrupt. They play perfectly when I connect the USB Flash drive on the TV, so they are OK.

I then tried the Windows version of DRMDecrypt (is normally a Linux utility) to try and decrypt the SRF file into a TS file. When attempting to do that directly on the USB Flash drive, I got an error message that the TS file could not be opened for writing. I then tried to copy all the files from the USB Flash drive to my hard disk. I wasn't allowed to copy the MDB files containing the key, so I had to modify the syntax of the DRMDecrypt utility (it is command-line based) to read the MDB file from the USB Flash drive. It seemed to work! It read the SRF file, supposedly decrypted it and produced a TS file. Only that the file produced was not a valid TS file and no application could open it! Pretty useless!

Other applications tried: AVS Video Converter 9.1, NeroVideo 2016, TMPGEnc 5, Media Player Classic. None could open either the original SRF file or the "decrypted" TS file.

So now I have nothing else to try. Does anyone of you have any experience with Samsung Smart TV recordings? Is there any way to convert them to some other format (eg MTS or MP4) and edit them or convert to DVD? It would be nice to keep the episodes of my favorite series or even keep a good movie to watch again some time later. I don't think it's illegal as long as I keep it from my personal use.

Luckily I have a DVB-T set-top box which allows recording to a regular FAT32 or NTFS USB Flash drive and in the common MTS format, but it's a shame I can't use my Samsung Smart TV directly. If you have any useful information, please share!

Thank you in advance.

:)

spapakons, Mar 18, 2016

2. TV sychronizing

I am trying to figure out what networking settings are different between windows 10 Home edition and Windows 10 Pro edition. I have a smart tv that can see the Home edition and not the pro, what is different in there setups

It's a Samsung smart TV.

The Deuce Rocks, Mar 18, 2016
  3. LexSouren Win User
    Windows Media Player Streaming

Hi

I am using Windows Media Player for streaming pictures to a Samsung smart TV, and is Windows certified.

The TV is HD format and of course in a resolution of hd 1080x1920.

The pictures i use are also in the same HD size (`1080x1920), but they appear smaller, in about 300x500 pix with black borders.

On my Windows 10 PCs, of course, they appear normal full size, the monitors are all in native HD resolution.

When using an App: Samsung Smart View, there is no problem.

Please help.

A. Souren

[Moved from: Windows / Apps on Windows 10 / Other Windows apps / Entertainment]

[Moderator Note:
    Moved from Music Movies and TV forum]

LexSouren, Mar 18, 2016
  4. Editing recordings from samsung Smart TV (SRF format)

Please take note samsung new formate Sony Raw Format SRF. FILE ...NOTE Even if you could copy the recordings to your PC they would still be unreadable as they are encrypted. Whilst decryption is theoretically possible, they are further protected for Digital Rights Management (DRM) purposes.

Samsung isn’t alone in this though some smart TV and PVR manufacturers do allow recordings of some free-to-air (FTA) channels to be playable on a PC but they are in the minority. I doubt that it’s done to make life difficult for users. You have to remember that products like these are made for world markets and sold in countries where there are large variations broadcaster’s licensing agreements, copyright restrictions and local censorship laws. It would be very difficult for manufacturers to accommodate every possible variation so they take the easy way out by only allowing recordings to be replayed on the device they were made on.

Mitty smart, Oct 4, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

IMO the best way of doing this stuff is to connect an HDMI SPLITTER to your TV - then feed 1 output into a decent CAPTURE device - I recommend the Star Tech (USB 3 newer one) as you don't need to connect this to a computer -- it can capture direct to an SD card directly. It can of course capture to HDD on a computer if you prefer that.

The file output is m2ts but any decent software can convert losslessly to mkv / mp4.

I use this device to capture Video from a SKY Q minibox !!.

Editing recordings from samsung Smart TV (SRF format) [​IMG]

Note you need a cheaper HDMI splitter and DECENT HDMI cables - these strip off DRM too so your capture is fine.
    Max resolution though is full 1080p (1920 X 1280) -- If you are trying to capture 4K UKD movies etc I think you'll have to wait until someone has cracked the DRM issues.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Editing recordings from samsung Smart TV (SRF format)

1. Editing recordings from samsung Smart TV (SRF format) - Similar Threads - Editing recordings samsung

2. Mirroring Windows 11 to Samsung smart TV

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mirroring Windows 11 to Samsung smart TV: When I mirror my Windows 11 laptop to my Samsung smart tv, I always get a split screen on the tv. One is my laptop screen mirroring and the other is my Samsung tv. Why is the tv showing both screens? How do I get rid of the tv screen and only mirror the laptop on the tv?...
  3. Mirroring Windows 11 to Samsung smart TV

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mirroring Windows 11 to Samsung smart TV: When I mirror my Windows 11 laptop to my Samsung smart tv, I always get a split screen on the tv. One is my laptop screen mirroring and the other is my Samsung tv. Why is the tv showing both screens? How do I get rid of the tv screen and only mirror the laptop on the tv?...
  4. Smart TV

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smart TV: The teacher is using a laptop and SMART TV. She can see her screen on the TV and the icons she requires in the taskbar but when she clicks on them they do not open on the screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/smart-tv/022df5a5-d0f2-4995-8398-f4542a313951
  5. Smart TV

in Windows 10 Customization
    Smart TV: The teacher is using a laptop and SMART TV. She can see her screen on the TV and the icons she requires in the taskbar but when she clicks on them they do not open on the screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/smart-tv/022df5a5-d0f2-4995-8398-f4542a313951
  6. Windows 10 PC immediately disconnects from Samsung Smart TV

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 PC immediately disconnects from Samsung Smart TV: Hello, I've seen other threads on the subject like this and followed the suggested article to no avail, so I can't help but post a question. I have a Win10 desktop PC connected with Ethernet and WiFi to the same network as the smart TV. The PC has an additional WiFi...
  7. smart tv

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    smart tv: Hi I am a bit worried! I saw this by accident when looking around. I live in a 1 up 1 down flat. Because downstairs did not use the internet much and did not have internet, I let him use mine when he needed to. Which I didnt mind, hes over 50 and not a gamer etc on...
  8. projecting my laptop to Samsung smart tv

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    projecting my laptop to Samsung smart tv: Hello, I have an Asus laptop x556uv running windows 10 and a Samsung smart TV of UHD 7 series model UE50RU7100UXMI. I'm trying to project my laptop screen to the TV wireless which is discovered by the computer but the connection fails Further investigation under...
  9. labtop to samsung smart tv hookup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    labtop to samsung smart tv hookup: how to connect labtop to Samsung smart tv by wifi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/labtop-to-samsung-smart-tv-hookup/3efa84ca-7747-45bd-b58b-7239ef5e379c
  10. Laptop connect Samsung smart TV

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Laptop connect Samsung smart TV: laptop connect to Samsung smart TV look not clear. look how to do it make look better clear and I could use laptop to smart TV than hold on my hip nor the desk anywhere. How do I make laptop to smart TV look good work ? 132777

Users found this page by searching for:

1. samsung smart tv .srf

2. nu vot

3. edit Samsung srf

4. samsung SRF format,
  5. srf format software to play in windows