Windows 10: Effect of Signing into MS Account to get Apps if using local account?

Discus and support Effect of Signing into MS Account to get Apps if using local account? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I run my W10 computer using a local account. I want to avoid using a MS account and don't have one set up one the computer at this time. My local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Gator5000e, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Effect of Signing into MS Account to get Apps if using local account?

I run my W10 computer using a local account. I want to avoid using a MS account and don't have one set up one the computer at this time. My local account is the only account.

That being said, I was interested in installing a couple of apps from the app store. However, it is requiring that I log in with my MS account to download and install them.

My question is if I log into the MS account to download and install the apps, will that create a new user account of any kind or otherwise mess with my computer settings or user accounts?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Gator5000e, Dec 16, 2015
  2. yochemin Win User

windows 10 cant sign into mail, store or store

Hi again

No luck there

If I go Settings>accounts>sign in options>I can sign in local, if I choose ":Sign in with MS account"it goes nowhere , comes back to that page

In other apps that require sign in, if I select MS account grey box appears/ disappears leaving previous page giving MS or Local sign in options

Thanks

yochemin, Dec 16, 2015
  3. amacabama Win User
    User folder name truncated

I found I had to do a reinstall anyway so:

1. I reinstalled using a local account in my name

2. I ran the mail app which converts the local account into a MS account

Now okay. Drastic but effective.

Andrew

amacabama, Dec 16, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Effect of Signing into MS Account to get Apps if using local account?

I use the MS account and I only have one user account. I doubt it will create a second user account.

BunnyJ, Dec 16, 2015
  5. PJLLB Win User
    A new user account will not be created, but you need to click carefully on the screens to not convert your local account to a Microsoft account during the process. I would set the account up first (outside of the Store app) and then connect it in the Store app. Again, be very careful about what you click. If, for some reason, your local machine account changes to a Microsoft account, you can always convert it back to a local machine account. (I accidently clicked where I shouldn't when I was trying to link a Microsoft account to the Store and had to convert my machine account back to a local account.)

PJLLB, Dec 16, 2015
  6. Thanks all. I appreciate the info and especially the heads up. I already have a hotmail account so I will just use that.

Gator5000e, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Effect of Signing into MS Account to get Apps if using local account?

1. Effect of Signing into MS Account to get Apps if using local account? - Similar Threads - Effect Signing Account

2. Stuck on local account can't sign in using microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck on local account can't sign in using microsoft account?: So I tried to remove an unusued account from "Email & accounts" but i accidently signed out of my microsoft account in the "Your info" and now when i try to log back in it comes up "'_______ is here already' Another user on this device uses this Microsoft account, so you...
  3. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?: Hi all, Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's? In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop. My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android. Im always trying to decide which is the...
  4. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?: Hi all, Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's? In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop. My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android. Im always trying to decide which is the...
  5. Connect my MS account or use Local account..?

Connect my MS account or use Local account..?: Another compelling reason to use an MS account is that your digital licence gets linked to your hardware id, making it easier to reactivate in even pc fails to activate due to a hardware change/issue.
  6. Using Local and MS accounts

Using Local and MS accounts: I have a computer using a local account. I use the Microsoft account separately to login to apps etc. When using another app I want to login with, I would get the account popup and can select my MS acct. How can I prevent that from accidentally being used in another app, I...
  7. Using MS account on a local account for games..

Using MS account on a local account for games..: I have a laptop and there are two users created......one (A) with admin status and a MS account. The other is (B) with a local account credentials. B has no MS account. Can I install games from Windows store on B's login account using my MS account? ...and perhaps some...
  8. Switch laptop sign in from MS account to Local Account questions

Switch laptop sign in from MS account to Local Account questions: Hi, Ive just switched from signing in to my laptop with a Microsoft Account to signing in with a Local Account instead. My laptop was always listed as a Device on the opening screen along with a map showing its location when I looked in my Microsoft Account. Under Devices I...
  9. Side effects/questions converting an MS account to a local account?

Side effects/questions converting an MS account to a local account?: I have had some annoying MS account related issues on our new laptop (whilst our desktop works fine with our family accounts). See User account and family issues. It's made me consider on the laptop to convert my main administrator MS account login to a local account and...
  10. Using MS Store to install apps with Local Account?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using MS Store to install apps with Local Account?: I know that in Win 8.1 you can use your local account, go to the MS Store and install applications by simply selecting the app and installing it. At most, the system will want you to validate using your MSA, but not insist on switching your account to the MSA. In Win 10...