Windows 10: EFI error, no usb installation media boot for recovery

Discus and support EFI error, no usb installation media boot for recovery in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Good morning to all I have a laptop HP AF101NV with an A6-6310 with 4GB RAM. After a crash I get a blue screen with the error:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ovidius80, Dec 23, 2017.

1. ovidius80 Win User

EFI error, no usb installation media boot for recovery

Good morning to all

I have a laptop HP AF101NV with an A6-6310 with 4GB RAM. After a crash I get a blue screen with the error:

File:\EFI\Microsoft\BOOT\BCD
    error code: 0x0000185

I used to the windows media creation tool to make a bootable usb to recover the system per instructions I found in Google. The problem is that when I try to boot it shows only the HP logo and the twirling dots without booting to windows install or going to the disk to boot. I tried to boot from the disk and go from there to the recovery options by pressing F11 but it shows a message Recovery options and stays there. I created 3 different installation usb's but the reaction I got is the same for all of them. I tried to boot with an Ubuntu live USB where the USB was one of the three I tried with windows 10 and it boots without a problem. Has anyone seen anything like this? Any problems like that?
    Any help will be most welcome

Thank you all in advance

:)

ovidius80, Dec 23, 2017

2. Windows 10 Installation

I deleted my windows efi partition.

Now when I use my installation usb i get the Error:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired"

The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Error code: 0xc000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools...."

The strange thing is I am booting from a recovery tool! The windows installation is still there.

This is a dual-boot system with another efi partition.

ValentinSchmidt, Dec 23, 2017
  3. DLN-007 Win User
    error code 0x0000185

I turned my laptop on (it's a dell laptop), and it was booting normal until I got a blue screen saying,

"RECOVERY, your PC/device needs to be repaired. the Boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors. File: \EFI\Microsoft:\Boot\BCD. Error code: 0xc0000185. You'll need recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc
    or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

If anyone knows what to do, that would be fantastic...

Thanks

DLN-007, Dec 23, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

I assume the error code is 0xC0000185 meaning an IO problem.

How old is your laptop?

5. ovidius80 Win User
    The Laptop is two years old. The Error Code is 0x0000185 and not 0xC0000185. My problem is that for some reason windows installation won't start whether linux live USB starts immediately

ovidius80, Dec 23, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Please try the following if you have access to another pc or can download and mount an ISO in Linux.
    - Download an ISO from Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums
    - Mount it on a USB & boot from the USB.

When booted,
    - Open HDTune
    - Go to the Health tab.

If there are any attributes marked make a photo of it and post it.

7. ovidius80 Win User
    I tried with this but unfortunately it doesn't boot either. It does the same with the windows install USB. Looks like that I 'll have to erase the disk with a linux liveUSB and reinstall windows to a clean install.

ovidius80, Dec 23, 2017
  8. axe0 New Member

What USB model do you use for Linux live and Windows?

9. Disable Secure boot and Enable Legacy mode in the bios and see if that will allow you to boot

Techjourney, Dec 23, 2017
  10. ovidius80 Win User
    I used 3 different usb. A usb 3.0 16GB from DATAGUARD, an 8 GB usb 3.0 from Transcend and a usb 2.0 8GB from APACER. The result was always the same. Disabling Secure boot and Enabling Legacy Boot were the first things I did. the result is always the same. Boot in legacy, boot in UEFI, usb's made with media creation tool from Microsoft and with rufus. The usb's made with rufus made either with GPT or MBR. Sorry to say but windows 10 disappointed me again and again and this might be the last time

ovidius80, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. EFI error, no usb installation media boot for recovery - Similar Threads - EFI error usb

2. Windows 10 installation USB will not boot into anything but EFI mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 installation USB will not boot into anything but EFI mode: I am attempting to do a clean install of windows 10 on a 2012 macbook pro. after much research, I determined that the lack of sound could only be fixed by installing in Legacy mode to get a MBR instead of a GPT. However, when I boot to the USB drive to do the installation, It...
  3. Windows 10 installation USB will not boot into anything but EFI mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 installation USB will not boot into anything but EFI mode: I am attempting to do a clean install of windows 10 on a 2012 macbook pro. after much research, I determined that the lack of sound could only be fixed by installing in Legacy mode to get a MBR instead of a GPT. However, when I boot to the USB drive to do the installation, It...
  4. Windows 10 installation USB will not boot into anything but EFI mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media: In case Windows 10 Pro OS problematic Can be repaired with USB Stick CreateRecovery USB Stick Windows 10 Pro Or createInstallation media usb stick…?If both can help, When use the first and when the second…?...
  6. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media: In case Windows 10 Pro OS problematic Can be repaired with USB Stick CreateRecovery USB Stick Windows 10 Pro Or createInstallation media usb stick…?If both can help, When use the first and when the second…?...
  7. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. USB Installation Media and/or Recovery Partition Overhaul???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Installation Media and/or Recovery Partition Overhaul???: So as a newbie to this whole process, I’ve been reading various webpages and threads here. I’m still confused to do the following: Create a USB installation drive which includes all the necessary updated drivers. I ended up using Powershell to add drivers to both boot.wim...
  9. Could not locate efi boot bootx64.efi error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could not locate efi boot bootx64.efi error: Hi there, I have installed windows 10 pro on a ssd nvme m.2 and I have used it for few weeks without any problemit is a win to go with an adapter for USB. After an windows update I got this error: ,,could not locate efi boot bootx64.efi'' and cannot use it anymore. I want to...
  10. Unable to boot without the usb recovery media after re-installation(s)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to boot without the usb recovery media after re-installation(s): My mother computer had a bsod at boot, too fast for see anything before it reboots. After attempting some rescue options ( automatic boot fix tool, recovery points) I took the reinstallation road. I create a recovery media on usb ( with another computer) plugged it and it...
Tags: