Windows 10: EFI system and Recovery partitions on wrong drive (I ran a search)

Discus and support EFI system and Recovery partitions on wrong drive (I ran a search) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; First of all - I know this has been asked a lot and I've ran a search already. Here is a picture of disk manager https://i.imgur.com/SeEIxcn.png... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IdanTs, Dec 22, 2016.

1. IdanTs Win User

EFI system and Recovery partitions on wrong drive (I ran a search)

First of all - I know this has been asked a lot and I've ran a search already.

Here is a picture of disk manager https://i.imgur.com/SeEIxcn.png

Now, I know from search that the problem was that I didn't disconnected my other HDDs while installing OS on my SSD.

And I saw that I can fix it by making an image of my OS and then doing a clear installation and restoring the old image.

But, I wanted to know 2 things:

1. Does it matter if it stays like this? I just did a test - Disconnected my HDD whice contains the EFI partition, and I was still able to boot up my computer normaly to windows.
    In that case - Is there any good reason to move the EFI partition\Recovery partition to my OS HDD? What does it even do?

2. Is there any simple way of moving those 2 partitions to my OS drive?
    I mean, nothing that involves a clear installation, making an image, etc? How come I cant move it with a command line while in system repair mode?

Thank you very much!

:)

IdanTs, Dec 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 install on clean drive created tiny partition with drive letter D

Unless you've partitioned otherwise, C is usually the drive where the Operating System is installed by Default in Windows. D is usually the Recovery Drive, E is usually the DVD drive and F is usually the Flash Drive

If you wish to reclaim space, you may create Recovery DVD or USB and delete the Recovery Image Partition.

Related Thread:

Can't delete extra
    "Healthy (Recovery Partition)"s and "Healthy (EFI System Partition)"

Smittychat., Dec 22, 2016
  3. Windows 10: Unknown System (ZEFI system and Recovery partitions on wrong drive (I ran a search) :) Partition or Disk.

It's displaying no name of the drive in the disk management but there's a partition with same size as that of "Z" drive. And this drive is of EFI system partition. And I get nothing more about it. Two recovery drives are already present.

Please tell what is this Z drive.

PulkitRanjan, Dec 22, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

There are 2 partition schemes which you can use to install Windows.
    1 - MBR partition scheme
    2 - GPT partition scheme
    Your Windows was installed using MBR partition scheme so the 500 MB System Reserved partition (marked as Active) contains the Boot Code (BCD) and the Recovery Tools. It has nothing to do with the EFI and Recovery partitions on the HD, that's why it still boot with the HD disconnected. I guess this is a left over from earlier installation using GPT partition scheme on the HD.

Since these 2 partitions are not used, you can delete them using "diskpart" from admin command prompt.

topgundcp, Dec 22, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    This is a bit of a mess. It looks like you have a legacy bios install on ssd. I assume you originally had a uefi install on hdd. As pc boots without hdd connected, you can simply delete those partitions.

;;

cereberus, Dec 22, 2016
  6. Avocado Win User
    Depending how the Windows install media is booted (UEFI or Legacy BIOS) Windows Setup creates either GPT or MBR partition style on the SSD/HDD.

EFI system and Recovery partitions on wrong drive (I ran a search) [​IMG]

The UEFI option will boot the Windows install media in UEFI mode and Windows Setup will create the GPT partition style automatically. On a GPT disk, Windows Setup will create a Recovery partition, an EFI System partition, a Microsoft Reserved partition (won't show in Disk Management) and a primary Windows partition.

The non-UEFI option will boot the Windows install media in Legacy BIOS mode and Windows Setup will create the MBR partition style automatically. On an MBR disk, Windows Setup will create a System Reserved partition and a primary Windows partition.

Avocado, Dec 22, 2016
  7. IdanTs Win User
    First of all, thanks for the comment.

Now, I successfuly deleted those 2 partitions with "diskpart".
    I had no idea that boot files (BCD) and Recovery Tools was infact stored in the "System Reserved". So thanks for the info.

Second - When I used to install Windows 10 on a regular HDD, I was forced to convert my HDD to GPT.
    But when I installed the windows 10 on my new SSD, I guess it allowed me to install it on MBR. How come?

Third - When I installed my current windows 10 on the SSD, I also formetted the previous windows 10 that was on the HDD.
    But as you said: "this is a left over from earlier installation using GPT partition scheme".
    What can I do next time to avoid it? Run diskpart.exe from windows installaion and make sure I delete all the partitions from that said drive?

Thank you for your time and help.
    @cereberus, thank you also for explaining me. @Avocado, you teached me a lot of usefull stuff. Thanks.

IdanTs, Dec 22, 2016
  8. Avocado Win User

You do not need to run the diskpart command.

Please read this post for more information.

Post #5, this thread: https://www.tenforums.com/installati...tml#post892097

Avocado, Dec 22, 2016
  9. IdanTs Win User
    Wow. This is a brilliant tutorial.
    Just one question- How do I choose to boot from eaither UEFI or Legacy BIOS?
    For example, I put a windows ISO on a flash drive ready to install from boot.
    So, in order to go into a specific boot (UEFI or Legacy BIOS), what should I configure exactly?

Thank you again.

P.s - So, in my case, I guess I installed windows on SSD on a MBR table.
    Should I have installed it on GPT to get benefits from a UEFI partition style?
    And theres probably no way to convert it to GPT without a new installation, right?

IdanTs, Dec 22, 2016
  10. Avocado Win User
    Yes. If you want to use the GPT partition style, you must boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI mode.

Microsoft: "If you install Windows using the wrong mode, you won’t be able to use the features of that firmware mode without reformatting the drive."

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Option One: Use Media Creation Tool to create Bootable Windows 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI
    -or-
    Option Two: Use "Rufus" to create Bootable Window 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI

The UEFI firmware settings determines what type of boot devices are available in the boot menu: UEFI, Legacy BIOS (aka CSM), or both types of boot devices.

Source: Microsoft

How do you check that you are using the UEFI mode.

Avocado, Dec 22, 2016
  11. IdanTs Win User
    Thank you.

Just one more question - Is there any real reason for me to trouble myself and re-install windows in order to gain the UEFI benefits?

IdanTs, Dec 22, 2016
  12. Avocado Win User
    My advice: If your Windows works fine, do not re-install Windows.

But next time you know what to do.

Avocado, Dec 22, 2016
  13. IdanTs Win User

Will do.

Just to make sure so I won't get confused next time:
    Basically, I'll have to boot into UEFI mode the next time I install windows.
    Then format my drive > Click "New" > Then Apply (like you showed here: https://www.tenforums.com/attachmen...rong-drive-i-ran-search-select-new-button.png )

And then pick "Primary" from the Partition list and click Install.

It will install the windows on GPT scheme?

IdanTs, Dec 23, 2016
  14. Avocado Win User
    Yes, if your hard disk has four partitions:

- Recovery
    - System
    - MSR (Reserved)
    - Primary

Avocado, Dec 23, 2016
  15. IdanTs Win User
    Once again, thanks very much!
    You have been helpful and very kind, I appreciate it.

Have a good weekend.

IdanTs, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. EFI system and Recovery partitions on wrong drive (I ran a search) - Similar Threads - EFI system Recovery

2. My EFI System and Recovery Partitions are on the wrong disk Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My EFI System and Recovery Partitions are on the wrong disk Windows 10: I recently set up a new PC with the intention of having Windows on my new M.2 drive along with the two SSD's for storage. However, I accidentally installed Windows on one of my SSD's first it has the same storage amount as my M.2 drive so I couldn't tell them apart. I managed...
  3. My EFI System and Recovery Partitions are on the wrong disk Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My EFI System and Recovery Partitions are on the wrong disk Windows 10: I recently set up a new PC with the intention of having Windows on my new M.2 drive along with the two SSD's for storage. However, I accidentally installed Windows on one of my SSD's first it has the same storage amount as my M.2 drive so I couldn't tell them apart. I managed...
  4. My EFI System and Recovery Partitions are on the wrong disk Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive: I noticed that my main Windows SSD does not have an EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition. These two partitions are located on my HDD. I would like to know if it is possible to create these two partitions on the SSD disk and remove them on the HDD disk without losing...
  6. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive: I noticed that my main Windows SSD does not have an EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition. These two partitions are located on my HDD. I would like to know if it is possible to create these two partitions on the SSD disk and remove them on the HDD disk without losing...
  7. EFI System Partition and Recovery Partition are not located on C: drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Creating Recovery and EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating Recovery and EFI System Partition: Hello,I've just installed Windows 10 on my new SSD and formatted the HDD that had Windows 10 on it before. I just realized in Disk Management that the old HDD has the Recovery and EFI System Partitions. How would I go about adding those to the SSD instead?Thanks....
  9. EFI partition on wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition on wrong drive: I have an SSD and an HDD. Windows is on the SSD but as you can see EFI and recovery partitions (there are two for some reason) are on the other drive. I'm not sure if it's always been like that but after dual booting with ubuntu probably had something to do with it. I've...
  10. EFI Partitions on wrong drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFI Partitions on wrong drive: Hi, After removing an SSD (W*Smile from my rig I discovered that my system would no longer boot and gave the error: NTDLL not found. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. I put the drive back and was able to boot. Attached is my disk management. I recently installed plugged...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. efi system partition on the wrong drive

2. recovery and efi on wrong drive