Windows 10: EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

Discus and support EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS....... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by joebilly, Sep 10, 2015.

1. joebilly Win User

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10.

I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI installed?

What about this thing with EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS? How much impact will this have on my computer regarding a flawlessly Win 10 setup?

I don't know anything about this, other than UEFI is the newest standard regarding BIOS.

When I look into my boot setup, it says, 1. Boot Device - [EFI Device].
    If I open Diskmanagement, this is the picture:

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS....... [​IMG]

Should I use the tutorial with or without UEFI when I do a clean install?

:)

joebilly, Sep 10, 2015

2. Why has a new hard drive with the name “System Reserved (ZEFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS....... :)” appeared on my PC

That's the EFI System partition which boots a UEFI install and contains the WinRE bootable repair tools. It looks correct now. Did you remove the Drive letter? How is OS performance for you?

It performs the same function as the System Reserved partition in Legacy MBR BIOS' although there are no Active partitions in a UEFI install. More here on

UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS - YouTube

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 10, 2015
  3. slance310 Win User
    GPT Partition Style

Hi,

Do you want to install Win 10 Pro to Legacy Bios or UEFI Bios settings...

That is where the "GPT" comes in... It is required for UEFI Bios, and "MBR" is required for Legacy Bios...

How the Flash Drive is created can also determine how the installation tries to install... If it is created with a NTFS file system it will most likely try to install for Legacy Bios and look for a MBR Drive...

It is created with a FAT32 file system it will most likely try to install for UEFI Bios and look for a "GPT" drive...

You can not simply have a "GPT" or "MBR" partition... The entire drive must be GPT or MBR created when the drive is first "Initialized" after having every partition on it deleted...

If you can determine if the machine is set for UEFI or Legacy it would be easier to help... One thing to check for... If you have a small FAT32 "EFI" partition, it is UEFI Bios... If you do not, it is Legacy...

slance310, Sep 10, 2015
  4. punkid Win User

Your OS seems to be currently installed in Legacy Mode, that means your drive is probably formatted using a scheme called MBR. For Windows to boot in UEFI mode, it required the drive to be formatted using a different scheme called GPT.
    If you can, backup the drive and reformat it to GPT if you want UEFI.

As far as the benefits go, Legacy is old, UEFI is new. It's faster, looks prettier while booting EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS....... :p. Thats pretty much it for the average consumer.

punkid, Sep 10, 2015
Thema:

1. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS....... - Similar Threads - EFI UEFI Legacy

2. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  3. drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI

drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI: I'm basically having a similar issue where I'm trying install a clean W10 onto my previous SSD and Win10 does see the drives and starts loading but stops whiting a few seconds stating that my drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI. Perform Diskpart...
  4. legacy / UEFI

legacy / UEFI: I have a backup made on the same machine that I am trying to restore from and it will not restore telling me that the system cannot restore a legacy backup on a UEFI machine. Running windows 10 pro. Can this be fixed and why did it happen?...
  5. Changing from Legacy Bios to UEFI, settings in bios and Windows 10

Changing from Legacy Bios to UEFI, settings in bios and Windows 10: I used the Windows converting program MBR2GPT.exe to convert my SSD to GPT and it reported it had done it. I then rebooted and entered the bios and changed one setting from Legacy ROM to EFI Compatible ROM and another setting called 'UEFI Boot' from Disabled to Enabled and...
  6. Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install: I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy bios installs where there is not a separate partition. I also know how to do it the older way with Macrium Reflect i.e. image...
  7. Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

in Windows 10 Support
    Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install: I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy bios installs where there is not a separate partition. I also know how to do it the older way with Macrium Reflect i.e. image...
  8. Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk: Hello, I've read alot online about all of the scenarios for bitlocker and using Windows 10 with TPM 2.0. I've read things that said bitlocker encryption is not possible if it's a Win 10 box with TPM 2.0 bios in Legacy mode. It must be UEFI/EFI to work. Is this correct?...
  9. UEFI or Legacy?

UEFI or Legacy?: So i went for a clean Windows 10 installation on my Aspire E13. To boot from USB i had to switch from UEFI to Legacy, otherwise the USB drive would not be listed. However. After the installation was finished my touchpad was not even recognized, i mean, i was not even...
  10. Check if Windows 10 is using UEFI or Legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Check if Windows 10 is using UEFI or Legacy BIOS: Great tutorial - I would have stopped at option 1 as it does the job perfectly but hey I am just a lazy engineer who loves great solutions with minimal effort *chuckle. 85195