Windows 10: EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

Discus and support EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS....... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by joebilly, Sep 10, 2015.

1. joebilly Win User

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10.

I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI installed?

What about this thing with EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS? How much impact will this have on my computer regarding a flawlessly Win 10 setup?

I don't know anything about this, other than UEFI is the newest standard regarding BIOS.

When I look into my boot setup, it says, 1. Boot Device - [EFI Device].
    If I open Diskmanagement, this is the picture:

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS....... [​IMG]

Should I use the tutorial with or without UEFI when I do a clean install?

:)

joebilly, Sep 10, 2015

2. Why has a new hard drive with the name “System Reserved (ZEFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS....... :)” appeared on my PC

That's the EFI System partition which boots a UEFI install and contains the WinRE bootable repair tools. It looks correct now. Did you remove the Drive letter? How is OS performance for you?

It performs the same function as the System Reserved partition in Legacy MBR BIOS' although there are no Active partitions in a UEFI install. More here on

UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS - YouTube

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 10, 2015
  3. slance310 Win User
    GPT Partition Style

Hi,

Do you want to install Win 10 Pro to Legacy Bios or UEFI Bios settings...

That is where the "GPT" comes in... It is required for UEFI Bios, and "MBR" is required for Legacy Bios...

How the Flash Drive is created can also determine how the installation tries to install... If it is created with a NTFS file system it will most likely try to install for Legacy Bios and look for a MBR Drive...

It is created with a FAT32 file system it will most likely try to install for UEFI Bios and look for a "GPT" drive...

You can not simply have a "GPT" or "MBR" partition... The entire drive must be GPT or MBR created when the drive is first "Initialized" after having every partition on it deleted...

If you can determine if the machine is set for UEFI or Legacy it would be easier to help... One thing to check for... If you have a small FAT32 "EFI" partition, it is UEFI Bios... If you do not, it is Legacy...

slance310, Sep 10, 2015
  4. punkid Win User

Your OS seems to be currently installed in Legacy Mode, that means your drive is probably formatted using a scheme called MBR. For Windows to boot in UEFI mode, it required the drive to be formatted using a different scheme called GPT.
    If you can, backup the drive and reformat it to GPT if you want UEFI.

As far as the benefits go, Legacy is old, UEFI is new. It's faster, looks prettier while booting EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS....... :p. Thats pretty much it for the average consumer.

punkid, Sep 10, 2015
Thema:

1. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS....... - Similar Threads - EFI UEFI Legacy

2. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  3. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  4. Bios swap legacy to uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios swap legacy to uefi: Motherboard/cpu upgraded ready for win 11. How to reinstall win 10 digital license to use new uefi bios. No facility for doing this. only gives option for retail licence install of win 10.trying to get system ready for win 11 but this is an obstacle to installation...
  5. Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem: I have a DELL Optilex 990 so when I go to my bios I go to Boot Sequence then I switch to UEFI and the Boot Sequence is empty. When I boot up my Device it says no bootable devices found. How do I fix this. Please tell me the file path to Windows Boot Manager because I still...
  6. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  7. Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS

Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS: I am preparing to reinstall Windows 10 Pro. I am going to do a complete delete-everything reinstall. I am going by the article posted in this community by Greg Carmack - Windows MVP “Clean Install Windows 10” I am going to use the basic Media Creation Tool referenced in the...
  8. UEFI / Legacy BIOS Mess and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI / Legacy BIOS Mess and Windows Update: Hi When Windows 10 ran its automatic update I got a message "Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware". I think this is probably my own fault - I remember having boot problems a while ago (can't remember what caused them...
  9. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  10. Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk: Hello, I've read alot online about all of the scenarios for bitlocker and using Windows 10 with TPM 2.0. I've read things that said bitlocker encryption is not possible if it's a Win 10 box with TPM 2.0 bios in Legacy mode. It must be UEFI/EFI to work. Is this correct?...