Windows 10: EFS Cert Found but does not Install Correctly

Discus and support EFS Cert Found but does not Install Correctly in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I recently had a BSOD that corrupted my registry. I was unable to boot into my PC. Nonetheless, I was able to create a system image of that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Bodhsativa, Jul 12, 2018.

1. EFS Cert Found but does not Install Correctly

Hello, I recently had a BSOD that corrupted my registry. I was unable to boot into my PC. Nonetheless, I was able to create a system image of that Windows INstallation as it was and save the files from it.

Now I am trying to access EFS files on the new install, my old PC's cert is found, but there seems to be a problem with it. It says "Keyset not found". I check properties and it says the CA cert is not trusted and I need to install it in the Trusted Root Cert. I install the cert and it say "Import Successful". Yet it is still not trusted after.

I'm wondering if there is any way I can restore my certs from the system image by pulling files and placing them in this system? Or maybe replace the old Window's version Registry files so I can boot into it and make a functional backup?

Literally any ideas would be much appreciated.

:)

Bodhsativa, Jul 12, 2018
  2. SarahKong Win User

EFS

Ok that's good then.

So when you get a moment do what i suggested by deleting the existing EFS cert and let me know how you make out.

SarahKong, Jul 12, 2018
  3. SarahKong Win User
    EFS

Sounds like you might have a security software installed on your PC that EFS is picking up on.

Because you are right, you don't need a smartcard for EFS to encrypt files.

Try doing a clean boot to make sure that EFS is not picking up on a security software.

And if you have a 3rd party antivirus running i recommend removing it and using Windows built in Defender.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/331796...

Also you can create a GPO to disable smart card usage for EFS. If you are using home edition of Windows this option will not work.

https://www.free-online-training-courses.com/co...

FYI, I am not a big fan of EFS for the simple reason is if you do not back up your self signed certificate and export then you can not open that file if your cert gets corrupt or if you move that file to a new PC or do a restore.

Have you thought about using bitlocker instead?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-bitlocke...

SarahKong, Jul 12, 2018
  4. EFS Cert Found but does not Install Correctly

Win 10 pro EFS Encrypting File System Problem (Dell)

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to start the Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Encrypting File System (EFS) Service.
    • Double click on Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    If the issue still persists then, I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in TechNet forum.

Technet forums

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jul 12, 2018
Thema:

EFS Cert Found but does not Install Correctly

1. EFS Cert Found but does not Install Correctly - Similar Threads - EFS Cert Found

2. old certs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    old certs: i need to print my old mta certs windows 7 certs and fundamentals from old emails i no longer have https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-certs/549ba35e-9528-4e3c-8424-c3fb005dd0a6
  3. old certs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    old certs: i need to print my old mta certs windows 7 certs and fundamentals from old emails i no longer have https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-certs/549ba35e-9528-4e3c-8424-c3fb005dd0a6
  4. Correct Resolution Cant be found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Correct Resolution Cant be found: I cant find the correct resolution, my screen resolution needs to be 1360x768 but I cant find it, I tried using the recommended resolution but still doesn't fit the screen. I need help thanks...
  5. Correct Resolution Cant be found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Correct Resolution Cant be found: I cant find the correct resolution, my screen resolution needs to be 1360x768 but I cant find it, I tried using the recommended resolution but still doesn't fit the screen. I need help thanks...
  6. Correct Resolution Cant be found

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. EFS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EFS: I rebuilt a new PC and transfered my SSD which had my OS from my old system and put it in my new PC. I had another HDD which held all my data and it was encrypted. However, I dycrypted it ,well at least I thought I had and then put it in my new PC. I went to access my...
  8. Authenticode cert

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Authenticode cert: My tech support is running security check and finding Authenticodetm Root certificate expiration.What is this, is this legit, why would it expire, and what are my options?...
  9. find the correct VPN cert to export out.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    find the correct VPN cert to export out.: I am trying to find and them export out my VPN cert so I can place it in my phone. Before windows 10 I could type certmgr.msc and then find it under Personal then Certificates. Of course certmgr.msc works but I can not find the certificates I needed....
  10. digi cert

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    digi cert: In windows 10 How do I remove DigiCert from my computer? They are evil and interfere with my facebook videos. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/digi-cert/f75c189e-5a97-4270-a926-55f534408b62